forum

Numberpad sticking problems?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
BakaDani
Does anyone have any problems playing mania with the number pad?

I've been playing 4k mania using keys z,x,numpad1,numpad2. It's the most comfortable position for me and helps keep my wrists straight. During that time starting to play mania, I played using a razor keyboard and had no problems. Then I switch to a Corsair keyboard and I start to have key repeat issues or stuck keys in the game. I then blame the keyboard and bought a Ducky keyboard and now it's doing it too. So far what I've tried is changing the keys to have Numlock off and it seems to help but you never know. I'll update if anything happens.
The even weirder thing is that I tried playing on another computer and it still did it. I've hit a wall at this point.

What do you think? Could this maybe be an osu bug? Does anyone else who play mania with numberpad have this problem too? I've contacted osu support and they told me to make sure toggleable keys were off on a Windows level.
TruthIsNear
Does it only happen in mania? Have you tested it in the text editor? Because if your keyboard shows no sings of those issues in the text editor then it's not a keyboard problem. You probably play maps out of your skill level and think that you hit patterns correctly and when you miss you blame anything but yourself.

I personally have Corsair K70 with MX Silvers and use V, B, NUM1, NUM2 (with numlock off) and have no issues. I've been using this keyboard for about 6 months playing on average 2-3h/day so I think your Corsair and Ducky boards shoud easily withstand heavy usage.
Topic Starter
BakaDani
I have a twitch clip of the issue happening. The other issue is the auto-scrolling issue and I have 3 friends using similar keys tell me they have that same problem. I'm trying to contact osu support about it.

I know my skill level and I can tell when it happens. I've finished a map before with one of the right keys sticking. I have tried it in a text editor and did a test on the keyboard finding no issues.

I did find that turning off numlock and changing the keys to the same ones (mine being END and ARROW DOWN) has help significantly. But still think this is an osu bug that should be addressed.

TruthIsNear wrote:

Does it only happen in mania? Have you tested it in the text editor? Because if your keyboard shows no sings of those issues in the text editor then it's not a keyboard problem. You probably play maps out of your skill level and think that you hit patterns correctly and when you miss you blame anything but yourself.

I personally have Corsair K70 with MX Silvers and use V, B, NUM1, NUM2 (with numlock off) and have no issues. I've been using this keyboard for about 6 months playing on average 2-3h/day so I think your Corsair and Ducky boards shoud easily withstand heavy usage.
abraker
yup have the same thing. It's due to keyboard ghosting. Pressing ctrl+shift+[your numpad mania keys] unsticks them
I am not sure this can be fixed in software, but would be cool if possible
TruthIsNear

abraker wrote:

It's due to keyboard ghosting

DJB wrote:

bought a Ducky keyboard
From the Ducky website:
Under USB, the Ducky [insert keyboard model here] can handle any number of simultaneous key presses. You can use the keyboard confidently in any situations knowing that there will never be ghosting or key blocking issue.

Hmm :thinking_emoji:
Topic Starter
BakaDani

TruthIsNear wrote:

abraker wrote:

It's due to keyboard ghosting

DJB wrote:

bought a Ducky keyboard

From the Ducky website:
Under USB, the Ducky [insert keyboard model here] can handle any number of simultaneous key presses. You can use the keyboard confidently in any situations knowing that there will never be ghosting or key blocking issue.

Hmm :thinking_emoji:

Pretty sure Corsair advertised that too

I also tested both keyboards in a ghosting test software and can confirm ghosting ddi happen pretty easily
Full Tablet
This is not ghosting or anything related to hardware, this is caused because the game doesn't detect the key releases.

1. You press the numberpad keys 1+2.
  2. You press Shift. This turns the 1 and 2 numpad keys into End and DownArrow keys, respectively.
  3. You release the numpad keys. Since they aren't the keys you assigned for playing, osu! doesn't detect the release.

The keybindings you use aren't recommended for playing, since accidentally pressing Shift causes you to fail notes.

The scrolling problem is a similar issue:

1. You press Shift.
  2. You press 3 or 9 in your numpad (which have turned into PageDown and PageUp keys, respectively)
  3. You release Shift.
  4. Release the numpad keys. Now the game doesn't detect that you released PageDown/PageUp.
abraker

Full Tablet wrote:

This is not ghosting or anything related to hardware, this is caused because the game doesn't detect the key releases.

1. You press the numberpad keys 1+2.
  2. You press Shift. This turns the 1 and 2 numpad keys into End and DownArrow keys, respectively.
  3. You release the numpad keys. Since they aren't the keys you assigned for playing, osu! doesn't detect the release.
The keybindings you use aren't recommended for playing, since accidentally pressing Shift causes you to fail notes.

The scrolling problem is a similar issue:

1. You press Shift.
  2. You press 3 or 9 in your numpad (which have turned into PageDown and PageUp keys, respectively)
  3. You release Shift.
  4. Release the numpad keys. Now the game doesn't detect that you released PageDown/PageUp.
Wait so this isn't a hardware issue? Now I wonder what OpenTK is doing to cause this.

edit: no progress on this since last year :\

The related issue is closed, but go through a couple referenced issues to get up to the current state of things: https://github.com/opentk/opentk/issues/279

Supposedly this PR fixes it, but it's out of date with the codebase: https://github.com/opentk/opentk/pull/409
show more