forum

I'd pay money for good anime recommendations.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Green Platinum
Meta discussion on anime recommendations.

I find myself thinking that giving recommendations has become too much of offering the same but in an inferior package, often ignoring context over content and never really expanding upon the discussions or offering a new perspectives to the themes in the shows I love.

Giving good recommendations is a skill separate to just watching a lot and really gets neglected in favour of just overwhelming others with countless titles hoping one meets it's mark. Anybody feel this way? What approach do you think makes for a good recommendation?
mulraf
to some extent i get what you mean. personally i think one aspect that gets forgotten way to often in recommendations is the other part, the person you're recommending something to. everytime someone recommends me something, they just send me something they liked. but e.g. while i absolutely loved 3-gatsu no lion i would NEVER recommend it to my brother who usually only likes stuff like naruto, one piece, attack on titan, etc. and if i wanted someone to recommend me something i would also love to hear a suggestion based on what i do like and what i don't.
Topic Starter
Green Platinum

mulraf wrote:

to some extent i get what you mean. personally i think one aspect that gets forgotten way to often in recommendations is the other part, the person you're recommending something to. everytime someone recommends me something, they just send me something they liked. but e.g. while i absolutely loved 3-gatsu no lion i would NEVER recommend it to my brother who usually only likes stuff like naruto, one piece, attack on titan, etc. and if i wanted someone to recommend me something i would also love to hear a suggestion based on what i do like and what i don't.
Absolutely not. You should be encouraging people to leave their comfort zone instead of perpetuating a shallow spectrum of shows. This is the exact problem of the 'same except inferior' mentality and encourages bad taste. This is exactly how we get those people who refuse to watch shows made before 2010 or particular genres like mecha. And do you wonder why your brother only likes mainstream shounen and seinen?
GrilledCheeese
There are certain themes surrounding anime that connect one anime with another. So if you say anime 1 is good, then you would probably like anime 2 as well. Like with games, if you are really into playing soccer games, you'll love games like Fifa etcetera. But if you really like games like osu!, you'd probably have a lot of fun with similar games as well. And this is the same for anime. You can get recommendations for animes that are similar to those that you really like. Although that does narrow things down a lot on what you can still watch, especially if you're an avid anime watcher who has probably seen all the recent and most popular animes from years ago already. So finding hidden gems that you might really like will be a lot harder for you then if there's no comparisons being made between that hidden gem and an anime that you really like. But you can still find that hidden gem if you keep comparing and searching. For example, you can start looking at anime reviewers and those that really like or praise animes you love to watch, will have similar interests and you can inspect their anime lists to see if they have any hidden gems you haven't heard of yet.
Topic Starter
Green Platinum
I've already addressed everything you had to say. Genres do not cover esoteric details and minutia important in making a good series great, you might as well be saying all 'cute girls doing cute things' anime are essentially the same. Following the creative staff is more important and more efficient for good works anyway.

Looking other people's list is generally a no go for me. Everybody is just watching from the seasonal pool and anything there worthwhile I will naturally hear about or they are watching classics I saw years ago.
Shawntell
Pupa
Steins gate