forum

[Archived] Brief intermittent freezing

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ryuko Matoi
So I have been having this extremely irritating issue that happens about every 3-6 minutes and will last about 1 second, no longer and no shorter. This has been an ongoing issue for several months.

The freeze comes without warning. It can happen at any moment. This includes the breaks in the song. And I have not noticed it happening on the main menu and song select. It can also happen when I am waiting to click a note that is slightly slower than the rest, I notice it because the approach circle briefly stutters.

• I have tried several different things to fix this. So I will just list everything I have tried:
  1. Updating GPU drivers
  2. Running in windows compatibility mode (Current OS: Win10. Tried compatibility with Vista, XP and Win7)
  3. Using Osu's in game compatibility mode
  4. Tried all of the various FPS settings including: Unlimited FPS, 240 limit and 120 FPS
  5. Uninstalling and reinstalling
  6. Moving to my SSD (I was desperate at this point trying random stuff for a solution lol)
  7. Osu's "Reduce frame drops" setting (even though my FPS does not drop during the freeze.)
  8. Osu's "detect performance issues"
  9. Turning my computer on and off again. (lmao)
  10. Running on the different releases. (Stable, Cutting edge and beta)
  11. Processed beatmaps
  12. Reseting all my personal settings
  13. Running in fullscreen (I always run in fullscreen)
  14. Making sure there is nothing running in my background that could possibly compromise performance.
  15. Setting my computer to wumbo.
  16. There is possibly more that I have tried that I did not list here.

Even though I know almost for 100% sure, it is not a performance issue, here are my specs.
  1. Windows 10
  2. Nvidia Geforce GTX 960 4gb
  3. Intel Core I7 3770
  4. 16gb of memory

I have no issues like this on any other game that I play including: Rainbow Six Siege, FFXIV, For Honor, PUBG, War Thunder, Mortal Kombat X, Battlefield 3-1, all Bioshocks and Arma 3. (This about sums up the graphically/semi graphically intense games that I can run on max settings without dropping below 50 fps.)

If you guys have a solution that is not listed here, please let me know! I am desperate. .・゚゚・(/ω\)・゚゚・.

Edit: Here is a recording of the bug. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdxAqtqPDr0 In the video it will stutter at 0:30 and 1:57. During gameplay it is just a stutter. In the recording it flashes the main menu briefly, but it is not visible during gameplay, it will only stutter in game.
modrei_DELETED
update your audio drivers, install the second newest gpu drivers instead of the newest ones
Topic Starter
Ryuko Matoi

modrei wrote:

update your audio drivers, install the second newest gpu drivers instead of the newest ones

I have an external DAC, so I don't need audio drivers. However, I do have audio drivers and they are up to date. And I did rollback my gpu drivers, unfortunately it didn't work.
modrei_DELETED
is your connection stable?
Topic Starter
Ryuko Matoi

modrei wrote:

is your connection stable?

Yes lol. This issue is both an online and offline issue. It started happening several patches ago.
modrei_DELETED
  1. disable superfetch
  2. windows settings > personalize > colours > disable the transparency effects
  3. windows settings > system > focus assistant, disable everything
  4. right-click osu -> properties -> compatability -> disable fullscreen optimalizations

if nothing helps, as much as i hate to say it, update your windows
Topic Starter
Ryuko Matoi

modrei wrote:

1. disable superfetch
  2. windows settings > personalize > colours > disable the transparency effects
  3. windows settings > system > focus assistant, disable everything
  4. right-click osu -> properties -> compatability -> disable fullscreen optimalizations

if nothing helps, as much as i hate to say it, update your windows

I tried disabling full screen optimizations, and that didn't work. And everything is already disabled in the focus assistant. I didn't try disabling transparency effects because I know for sure it's not a hardware issue. None of these fixed the problem unfortunately.

However, I did record some gameplay and found something extremely weird. Whenever it stutters, my FPS does not drop, the latency does not change. In the recording however, something shows up that I don't see. When it stutters I do not see this, here is the video.

Stutters are at 0:30 and 1:57. I left some gameplay in to show that I am not getting FPS drops or latency spikes while playing.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdxAqtqPDr0
modrei_DELETED
strange, looks like some overlay or something is trying to refocus on osu, i have no idea why cant you see it without recording it tho

i still think its most likely related to drivers/windows and not on osu’s end, but lets see if anyone else can come up with something
Topic Starter
Ryuko Matoi

modrei wrote:

strange, looks like some overlay or something is trying to refocus on osu, i have no idea why cant you see it without recording it tho

i still think its most likely related to drivers/windows and not on osu’s end, but lets see if anyone else can come up with something

I don't know either lmao. I have been playing hot potato with drivers lately trying to fix it. By that I mean, updating and rolling back. Including my mouse/keyboard drivers, sound drivers and other drivers that shouldn't be apart of the issue. I might just need to wait for Peppy or one of his higher ups to see this... Thank you for your help, Modrei.
show more