forum

Dunno how to contribute to an open source project.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Wythfed_old
I got a mild understanding of the C language, know my trees, linked list, bit operations, ect.

Problem is i have no idea how to tackle issues that people report on git or other.
Mostly because its not like i know the source enough to understand what these issues are referring to.

i thought about picking up a project for my self, but most of the time i get too ambitious and wear myself out.

like the other day i thought about making a simple wm in linux, but i just get absolutely ham-fisted with the ICCCM manual.

First time posting so i have no idea if i posted in the right place.
Any advice is appreciated thanks in advance.
abraker
If you only have experience with coming up with algorithms from scratch and not using libraries, I think a window manager is a little too ambitious. I recommend picking up a library and do various demos in increasing complexity using it. This should allow you to figure out how to read documentation. I started out making demos and then games using first Allegro and then the more complicated Irrlitch.

Also often times I find my self googling tutorials rather than documentation to see the application of the things documented. If you still want to make a window manager here is one tutorial I found: https://handmade.network/wiki/2834-tuto ... chnologies
FreezyLemon
Instead of writing such a project for yourself, why not find something that already exists, that you have interest in and then "get into it"?

It won't be easy at first, but you can usually pick a specific "region" of code that you get familiar with, and then fix issues / upgrade performance / whatever. Or you could further your knowledge of other regions of code and get into the project more and more etc. until you are a regular contributor.

Good way to learn new stuff aswell, from my experience. The hardest part is probably finding a project that you want to work on..

Hope I could help