forum

what you should aim for when youre playing osu

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
kai99
i came to the realization:
osu is not a circle clicking game.
yes it is, but the whole process of "getting better" is to ultimately train your muscle memory so that your hands do the tap and aim before you can even process it in your head.

so what to aim for in osu is aim and tap. if you finish mastering that and hammering it into your muscle memory, all you have to do is trust in your hands to do the things and just read the screen and the hands will aim for you

thats why you do worse if you actually "think" - people do better when theyre thinking about other things while playing because they're letting muscle memory do the work.
Deva
I actually do better when I think about the game/focus on clicking circles rather than when I think about other stuff. Not only that I play worse it often happens that I zone out so bad that I start missing even the stupidest things I don't miss on usually.

Pls give an explanation
dung eater
Easier to develop muscle memory with tablet. Depends a lot on how you play, too. Wrist/fingers may be best. The above might be bs but it's what i assume atm.
DeletedUser_6869432
Where do people get the idea that Osu is just muscle memory? Maybe at high Ar (10.3) but even then it's not like you can think about what your having for dinner tommorow while getting a top play. Muscle memory only comes into play when you either a) retry a map 100 times or b) aiming. And even for aiming that's a stretch because depending on relative position your cursor was before, angle, flow, etc. Osu is more about precise hand control than muscle memory imo.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
DXPOHIHIHI
To get better you should play technical maps then move on to normal maps when your really good
Topic Starter
kai99

Deva wrote:

I actually do better when I think about the game/focus on clicking circles rather than when I think about other stuff. Not only that I play worse it often happens that I zone out so bad that I start missing even the stupidest things I don't miss on usually.

Pls give an explanation
i do better when im choking and i zone out, makes me less nervous and actually able to fc
maybe you're zoning out a little too much

kacper124 wrote:

Where do people get the idea that Osu is just muscle memory? Maybe at high Ar (10.3) but even then it's not like you can think about what your having for dinner tommorow while getting a top play. Muscle memory only comes into play when you either a) retry a map 100 times or b) aiming. And even for aiming that's a stretch because depending on relative position your cursor was before, angle, flow, etc. Osu is more about precise hand control than muscle memory imo.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
i usually just blank out while i do my top plays or like think about things i have to do for the rest of the day etc
sometimes i dont even see a circle but i hit it (especially with circles that are on top of each other concurrently after a jump) because my hand just reacts to my eyes for a split second even before i realize there's another circle behind the circle
Cham
fdfsf
-Makishima S-
"PP is cancerous and toxic mechanic" - walks after me when I came back a bit more serious to STD. Funny how I started improving again when I don't give a fuck about pp and only push limits. I do not aim anymore for rank or shitz, I am done with toxicity comming from "rank" or "pp". Started playing "solo multi room" and spamming 6-7* deathstream maps for like 3-4 hours every day after work. Hek, on last journey home by dragonforce, when I wasn't completely unable to even pass first jumpstream part, right now my body is giving up somewhere around long, slow ass slider in the middle or so.

In general, imo, aim for improvement, not for numbers, it helps. Doing everything to prevent gaining numbers also helps (solo multi room with sudden death for example + intentional choke somewhere in the map).

#FuckPP
#DANSystemWhen
#Always5digit
Wishes
This is all very true definitely. It is not only muscle memory but rather subconscious processing which happens when you're very accustomed to doing a task. And the subconscious is always faster than the conscious mind. Sometimes I also have these weird moments where I was sure I did not see a hitcircle and thought my combo is gone but somehow I've still hit the pattern LOL. And I'm nowhere near good enough. I imagine for more experienced players it is even less thinking and more of just doing.
Edgar_Figaro
Overall I find this to be true for myself

Focus = Good
Thinking = Bad

If I zone out I’ll make silly mistakes so I need to stay focused on the map. But when I start truly thinking about the play I choke.
worst fl player
play what you want. It's just a game.
ManuelOsuPlayer
Your reaction time is lower when you don't think/you have your main clear. I tested it at typical click the circle when it change the color. Clear mind don't thinking and relaxed = 0'3s thinking trying to be aware 0'9s or something like that if i don't remember wrong. But was a really big difference.
Deva

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

Your reaction time is lower when you don't think/you have your main clear. I tested it at typical click the circle when it change the color. Clear mind don't thinking and relaxed = 0'3s thinking trying to be aware 0'9s or something like that if i don't remember wrong. But was a really big difference.
If it takes you 900ms to react to a change of colour there's something wrong with you
ManuelOsuPlayer
I have really hard time with simple things. And hard things are way easier than are for other people. No idea why.
Endaris

kai99 wrote:

so what to aim for in osu is aim
how can i aim for aim if i can't aim?
muscle memory ruined :(
Topic Starter
kai99

Endaris wrote:

kai99 wrote:

so what to aim for in osu is aim
how can i aim for aim if i can't aim?
muscle memory ruined :(