forum

Saw my biggest increase in performance... After taking a 2 week break?

posted
Total Posts

Did you see any performance benefit coming back after a break from the game?

Yes, I noticed significant improvements after a break from the game.
50.00%
Yes, I noticed moderate improvements after a break from the game.
28.00%
Eh, I didn't really notice anything.
6.00%
No, but I had to relearn a little after a break from the game.
8.00%
No, but I had to relearn a lot after a break from the game.
8.00%
Total votes: 50
Topic Starter
Semaphia
A few weeks back, I started a lil break from the game - Not because I was bored or frustrated, but because an RPG I've waited an age for finally came out. I did play a tiny bit of osu! during that time, but not the usual multi-hour sessions that I'd grown accustomed to.

So I come back to the game yesterday, expecting to be terrible (and yes, I still am all things considered), but it just feels more natural than ever... Today, I ended up FCing my first 5* map, tying my top score with another 5* FC, then beating my top play on the first attempt of a map, before going onto bettering the score & slaughtering my old top score. Now, 6 out of 8 of my top plays came over the past day or so.

Now I'm sitting here wondering if this sort of thing is a common occurrence? Whether you guys come back after a break & find your way back into it easier than you'd expect.

I'm not sure what I'd be able to attribute it to besides the break. A few weeks back, I was playing a LOT of longer maps, & maps I'd usually struggle immensely with (really technical slider heavy maps), which I think has improved my reading ability somewhat... Maybe that's it? I don't know.

Going to include a poll for my own curiosity.

Cheers!
Deva
Taking breaks is important. It gives your muscles time to rest and repair.So yeah that's completely normal and it happens to everyone.
Topic Starter
Semaphia

Deva wrote:

Taking breaks is important. It gives your muscles time to rest and repair.So yeah that's completely normal and it happens to everyone.

I was thinking about the physical aspect of it, but seeing how I play guitar and/or piano for several hours a day practice at the very least, I can't see this being a major factor - For me, at least.
Deva
Well your top ranks are hardcore farm maps so there's that
Topic Starter
Semaphia

Deva wrote:

Well your top ranks are hardcore farm maps so there's that

True >.< Like I said in the OP, I was playing a lot of longer maps & maps I'd typically not play before I took my lil break. I'd select 4*, hit random, play up to 5 times (for an improvement on a map I've played before, for an A rank on a new map) before moving onto the next map.

I think it improved my ability to read, which is good.
Deva

Semaphia wrote:

I was playing a lot of longer maps
I've seen the most improvement when doing this so maybe it doesn't have much to do with your break. Longer maps are (usually) consistently difficult while farm (and short in general) maps are easy for the biggest part and then just have a difficulty spike. It's like a long 5* map being a 5* throughout the whole map but a tv size being 4.5* for the most part and then having a 5.5* spike so it balances out at 5* (it's not really like this but it helps you wrap your head around it).

Basically by playing longer maps you do more Play More-ing than with tv size maps which in turn leads to you getting better overall

Not sure if any of that makes sense tbh
loveleft
yeah i just came off a month and a half break and gained about 400pp over the last week c: breaks are great!
kai99
agree, i do better when i rest from 3 days to a week