forum

Skill bonus for maps with ar <8

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
[MTF] Wolfette
I think this one is pretty self explanatory. Just as there is a bonus for ar11, I think there should also be a skill bonus for low AR.

Not like an OP large bonus, but just enough to make it so that old map and EZ scores aren't shite.
ABD007

AsrielDr33murr wrote:

I think this one is pretty self explanatory. Just as there is a bonus for ar11, I think there should also be a skill bonus for low AR.

Not like an OP large bonus, but just enough to make it so that old map and EZ scores aren't shite.
Agree with this statement ! :)
Tae
But you'd just be giving a boost to all lower diffs by that logic?
EZ scores are always going to be worth less, as you reduce the OD too.
Topic Starter
[MTF] Wolfette

Tae wrote:

The boost would scale based on SR. Even if it didn't, a 10% boost on a normal diff that gives 23pp wouldn't be all that game breaking.

I never said EZ would be worth more than no mod, I just said EZ plays would get a slight boost to pp.
Exclusives

AsrielDr33murr wrote:

Tae wrote:

The boost would scale based on SR. Even if it didn't, a 10% boost on a normal diff that gives 23pp wouldn't be all that game breaking.

I never said EZ would be worth more than no mod, I just said EZ plays would get a slight boost to pp.
EZ plays are going to be forever in the dirt. There will never really be a non-overpowered solutions towards the EZ mod due to the fact that in some cases, it does help. So changing it for it to boost would generally be a bad idea. Ex. Irreversible.

I just think it should be left the same way it is.
It's not used besides -GN and wannabe Mafham's.
Topic Starter
[MTF] Wolfette
Again, I never said EZ would receive an over powered boost. I explicitly specified that in 2 separate posts.

Possibly an EZ boost that scales based on note density could be sufficient enough to reward reading ability. Idk exactly how to do it, I'm not much of a programmer myself
Tae

AsrielDr33murr wrote:

Okay but SR is a rather arbitrary system to base that off. Considering EZ also reduces SR immensely, your system doesn't mean very much, as you'd end up having to base it off a case by case scenario.

Literally any boost you're trying to give it makes it a little bit overpowered. Once you can read low AR it's free pp to some extent, due to it reducing every other difficulty setting too, if we are going by your idea. Perhaps think about this a little bit more first.
Topic Starter
[MTF] Wolfette

Tae wrote:

AsrielDr33murr wrote:

Okay but SR is a rather arbitrary system to base that off. Considering EZ also reduces SR immensely, your system doesn't mean very much, as you'd end up having to base it off a case by case scenario.

Literally any boost you're trying to give it makes it a little bit overpowered. Once you can read low AR it's free pp to some extent, due to it reducing every other difficulty setting too, if we are going by your idea. Perhaps think about this a little bit more first.

Possibly an EZ boost that scales based on note density could be sufficient enough to reward reading ability.
Tae
And yet that's still countered by the fact that using EZ reduces the difficulty in the first place, and thus makes it easier to do so after a certain point.
h3oCharles
What about those 3* diffs? They are AR8 most of the time
Topic Starter
[MTF] Wolfette

Tae wrote:

And yet that's still countered by the fact that using EZ reduces the difficulty in the first place, and thus makes it easier to do so after a certain point.
No, EZ is a million times harder to read. It takes a lot of skill to read EZ. I'm better than most and even I'm not that good at it
Tae

AsrielDr33murr wrote:

No, EZ is a million times harder to read. It takes a lot of skill to read EZ. I'm better than most and even I'm not that good at it
Practice makes perfect is my point. After a certain point it definitely becomes easier to do, like most things in this game.
Topic Starter
[MTF] Wolfette

Tae wrote:

AsrielDr33murr wrote:

Practice makes perfect is my point. After a certain point it definitely becomes easier to do, like most things in this game.
DT becomes easier to do as well, does that mean DT shouldn't give any bonuses? HD becomes easier to do as well, should HD not give any bonuses?
Tae
DT objectively increases the difficulty of the map (AR/OD/HP), as does HR, EZ does not. As for HD, well that was rebalanced lately, wasn't it now?
ABD007
*Watching these guys discussing*
Topic Starter
[MTF] Wolfette

Tae wrote:

DT objectively increases the difficulty of the map (AR/OD/HP), as does HR, EZ does not. As for HD, well that was rebalanced lately, wasn't it now?

Subjective difficulty is more valuable in a game like this. Different things are difficult for different players. For some, HR is piss easy; for some, DT is impossible; for others, HD might be unreadable.

There’s no one size fits all difficulty system for this game.
h3oCharles
are we talking about EZ on new maps? cuz EZ on old maps IS easier
Tae

AsrielDr33murr wrote:

Different things are difficult for different players. For some, HR is piss easy; for some, DT is impossible; for others, HD might be unreadable.
Yet with enough practice, that is no longer an issue. Funny how I already said that before. Subjective difficulty means nothing if you put effort into it.
abraker
The issue with low AR is more complicated than visible note density. If you take AR 3 with 10 visible notes, then certain arrangements of those notes will make it easier or harder to read. Consider a stream pattern vs a random placement of notes. The stream pattern would be a lot easier to read because it is far more predictable than the random arrangement of notes.
Topic Starter
[MTF] Wolfette

abraker wrote:

The issue with low AR is more complicated than visible note density. If you take AR 3 with 10 visible notes, then certain arrangements of those notes will make it easier or harder to read. Consider a stream pattern vs a random placement of notes. The stream pattern would be a lot easier to read because it is far more predictable than the random arrangement of notes.

The pp system can differentiate streams from jumps tho. So it wouldn’t be too much of a problem. Just would take more code
show more