forum

Add an actual instant restart hotkey

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +19
Topic Starter
Kryomaani
Why is the "quick restart" not actually all that "quick"? Very often when I'm trying to set a high score and do a big mistake, I just want to restart the map, so I hit R, the screen dims... and then promptly un-dims and the song goes on until the HP runs out and the fail screen pops up instead, because apparently I didn't press it long enough to confirm that yes indeed, I wish to restart. I fail to see what function having to hold down the "quick" restart hotkey serves.
  1. Default binds for hit keys are Z & X and retry is R. How do you even finish an easy song if you keep accidentally hitting keys one whole inch apart from the key you intended to hit? How many times have you really accidentally hit R and regretted it?
  2. If you have non-default binds that result in your restart key truly being too easy to hit, like say on the C key, then is that not actually just an user error and your own fault for using settings that are unsuitable for your play style? If this is still a real issue, why don't you just bind it to a key even further away or unbind entirely? Or bind it to ctrl+R?
  3. Have you ever actually reconsidered continuing the song in the split second window before it restarts? Yeah, didn't think so.
There is really not much of an argument for the delay in the "quick" restart. More often than not, it needlessly slows down getting back to the gameplay if you mess up.

All that said, there's no need to remove the delay feature entirely, as any of the following suggestions would keep the current behavior in for those who do want it while improving the game for those that don't:
  1. The most simple solution would be to provide both "quick restart" and "instant restart" in hotkey settings.
  2. Or a separate tick box to choose which behavior to use, but this comes a bit too close for comfort to being a toggle for a new feature.
  3. Or for extra customizability, allow the user to specify the required hold time, including the option to set it to zero.
Honestly, any suitable option allowing us to restart instantly would be very welcome.
Sandy Hoey
I honestly have never had this problem. My quick restart is pretty much instantaneous
_Meep_
i dont see whats the difference between u failing the song and you restarting it lmao
either way you're gonna go back to the start fresh

also how the hell would u hit R from ZX accidentally? they're pretty far ;/

also, the restart hotkey is fast enough, it takes less than a second lol
mayb you're just impatient
Nathanael
If I recall correctly, someone already requested this and was denied.
That said, you can use the tilde ("`") instead of the CTRL+R key combination to restart the gameplay immediately.
Topic Starter
Kryomaani

Sandy Hoey wrote:

I honestly have never had this problem. My quick restart is pretty much instantaneous
Try simply hitting the key briefly like you would when typing, you'll notice that it won't restart.

_Meep_ wrote:

i dont see whats the difference between u failing the song and you restarting it lmao
either way you're gonna go back to the start fresh
Yes, obviously, but failing the song takes whatever time it to fully drain and after that you're stuck on the fail menu requiring further user input. I'd expect pressing a key to actually perform the function bound to that key. This is unnecessary clunk keeping me from getting back to the gameplay quicker.

_Meep_ wrote:

also, the restart hotkey is fast enough, it takes less than a second lol
mayb you're just impatient
But why is it not instant like any other key in the game? Would you be okay if you had to hold down the mouse button for a second in the song list to start a song? Why not, are you just impatient? The thing is, that the delay on one specific key is inconsistent behavior and needlessly clunky.

Nathanael wrote:

If I recall correctly, someone already requested this and was denied.
That said, you can use the tilde ("`") instead of the CTRL+R key combination to restart the gameplay immediately.
A link to the request would be nice, I'd really like to know why it was denied, though I'm guessing there's just not enough demand. The tilde nor any other key near it isn't restarting the map for me, but this could be related to me having a Finnish keyboard, and obviously I cannot fix the issue myself since it's not rebindable, further emphasizing the need for adding the option to the keybind menu.
Toxi
As suggested above, try using tilde/whatever you bind it to. You have to hold the key down, but I think it is only ~1 second, so it cant really be that bad
Topic Starter
Kryomaani

Toxi wrote:

As suggested above, try using tilde/whatever you bind it to. You have to hold the key down, but I think it is only ~1 second, so it cant really be that bad

Did you not read my previous message? As above, tilde key on scandinavian keyboard does not restart the map and this instant restart Nathanael speak's of is not listed in the keybind options so I cannot change it to a key I actually have on my keyboard. This is what I've been suggesting should be added to the game this entire time. The "quick restart" that is in keybinds requires the long hold, which is what I would like to avoid.
Flyy
I press esc and then move my pen to the middle of my tablet area and tap. Couldn't be quicker.
ReesanVaine
Frankly I don't see any problem here... the quick restart works insanely fast on my side. (I5-7200U, 8 GB RAM. Iris620+Nvidia GTX 1070m 6GB are my specs of my PC)
abraker

ReesanVaine wrote:

(I5-7200U, 8 GB RAM. Iris620+Nvidia GTX 1070m 6GB are my specs of my PC)
I have a pentium 6 with, 1 kb ram, and a VooDoo1 graphics card and quick restart takes me only half hour
Topic Starter
Kryomaani

ReesanVaine wrote:

Frankly I don't see any problem here... the quick restart works insanely fast on my side. (I5-7200U, 8 GB RAM. Iris620+Nvidia GTX 1070m 6GB are my specs of my PC)
Nothing to do with your computer specs, the thing I'm referring to is the delay programmed into the restart key registering. Once the game actually registers it, the restart is quick, I'm not talking about having lag.

Since people are having such a hard time understanding, I made a youtube video showcasing this odd behavior:

Thanks for all the memes, they are very helpful.
Dntm8kmeeatu
I hope you're tapping it to make a point; but c'mon, holding the button to restart literally takes less than a second. How much faster do you want it to be?

Also, I have a feeling as soon as an "Instant" retry button is added, people will complain that it's too instant, and fucked up their FC because they accidentally tapped the key. I think the way it is now is perfect balance of preventing fuck up miss-hits, and still being relatively snappy.
Topic Starter
Kryomaani

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

I hope you're tapping it to make a point; but c'mon, holding the button to restart literally takes less than a second. How much faster do you want it to be?
I want it to be instant. Yes, I'm tapping to make a point, but why should tapping not activate the function bound to a key?

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

Also, I have a feeling as soon as an "Instant" retry button is added, people will complain that it's too instant, and fucked up their FC because they accidentally tapped the key. I think the way it is now is perfect balance of preventing fuck up miss-hits, and still being relatively snappy.
I've addressed this in the first post. If you're "accidentally tapping keys" you're not going to FC anything.

Yes I do acknowledge that this is not exactly the most important feature being requested here, but it would still be nice to have.
Crazy Steve

Kryomaani wrote:

ReesanVaine wrote:

Nothing to do with your computer specs, the thing I'm referring to is the delay programmed into the restart key registering. Once the game actually registers it, the restart is quick, I'm not talking about having lag.

Since people are having such a hard time understanding, I made a youtube video showcasing this odd behavior:

Thanks for all the memes, they are very helpful.

i did the following hotkey in Logitech's software: https://i.imgur.com/3a1wngy.png

works fine for me
Full Tablet
You need to weight how much this feature would benefit people who want to retry a bit faster, and how much it would hurt people who would accidentally retry if this feature were implemented.

You can accidentally press keys and still FC (or even SS) a map. While playing osu!mania, it is common for me to hit extraneous keys that aren't bound to gameplay, and not even notice it. I have broken keycaps from keys that are next to the ones I use to play. The most comfortable place to place the restart hotkey is next to one of the gameplay keys.

I don't have an issue with the delay of the restart hotkey, it gives me time to mentally prepare for starting the map again.

Maybe have 2 bindable keys, one that has the delay (bound to ; by default), and other that is instant (not bound to anything by default)?

In a somewhat related proposal, what about removing the Ctrl+R hotkey (or make it customizable)? It makes some osu!mania key configurations unplayable.
d4ilyrun
Or you can just change the default key to another key in the game settings so you don't have to press "ctrl+r" and can't restart by accident wjile playing it's easy. Useless feature