forum

who here doesn't like anime other than me

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
beachTurkey
maybe im the only one but I dunno, just curious
vinnicci
out of 12 M users here, i'm sure you're not the only one.
Topic Starter
beachTurkey

vinnicci wrote:

out of 12 M users here, i'm sure you're not the only one.
thats relieving, was starting too think I was alone on this thought
Green Platinum
Most users are indifferent to anime. Otaku Culture is dead and lacks any meaningful discussion. All the anime songs are here because mappers are lazy and don't want to map anything over 90 seconds.
Topic Starter
beachTurkey

Green Platinum wrote:

Most users are indifferent to anime. Otaku Culture is dead and lacks any meaningful discussion. All the anime songs are here because mappers are lazy and don't want to map anything over 90 seconds.
that's why dragonforce maps will always take more effort to play and map
bobbathan
I honestly don't find it all that interesting, but can see why it's so popular.
Akanagi
Anime culture has become stale and boring. Most modern anime are very predictable and feature pretty much the same character stereotypes everytime. The art itself is increasing, however the general trend is still boring. Browse through Japanese art or just anime characters and count the amount of times you see a school uniform and / or a ribbon.

Maybe I've just grown out of it (24yo here), but to me it seems like anime is devolving more and more by going down the route of fanservice.
Check some of the older anime from the 90s and early 2000 and you'll see actually interesting concepts and a whole different kind of anime.
Anime used to be meaningful (atleast several few), and now it's all about Kawaii waifus and oppai and predictable storylines that are all copypasted into the setting.

Anime sucks now, just like videogame culture does right now, but that's a topic for another day.
abraker
I like anime, but I don't like certain anime that keep things stale and boring.

Rayne wrote:

Anime sucks now, just like videogame culture does right now, but that's a topic for another day.
That's like racial profiling. Several anime are bad, so the whole thing is. Good anime still exist.
Akanagi

abraker wrote:

That's like racial profiling. Several anime are bad, so the whole thing is. Good anime still exist
Which is why I used phrasings like "most modern anime" and "pretty much the same" as well as "the general trend".
Sure, there are few (very few) good ones, but that's a couple out of the several dozen anime released every year.

Comparing it to racial profiling is just plain silly. The word you were looking for is "generalizing".
Green Platinum
Classic survivorship bias. Moe and fanservice have been prominent since the 1970's cf Cutie Honey/Urusei Yatsura. Funny you mention anime from the 2000's when that was prime time for generic harem visual novel adaptations too.
Alot
I don't like anime but like manga
rustikk
How are you not infected yet? I hated anime when i started playing osu! but the music was so damn catchy I eventually fell for it. Now I'm a borderline weeb :/
Ribba1998
It completely depends on the anime for me. I don't actually watch it all that often as a matter of fact, as I only pick things that seem interesting since, as another user already stated here, it's extremely same-y and familiar across shows, there were so many Attack on Titan clones that came up for a few years, it was unbearable. Not to mention all the surface-level moe garbage they spew out nowadays.

I do read manga more though, as I feel it's more casual and something I can enjoy better. All anime made has to contain oppai and cat grills as stated by law, so there's quite a bit of great manga that never made it to anime since they do not contain either of those things. First things that come to mind are Yotsubato, Air Gear, and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (though Jojo did get a few seasons, more than maybe half of the series is in manga only).
Green Platinum

Ribba1998 wrote:

It completely depends on the anime for me. I don't actually watch it all that often as a matter of fact, as I only pick things that seem interesting since, as another user already stated here, it's extremely same-y and familiar across shows, there were so many Attack on Titan clones that came up for a few years, it was unbearable. Not to mention all the surface-level moe garbage they spew out nowadays.

I do read manga more though, as I feel it's more casual and something I can enjoy better. All anime made has to contain oppai and cat grills as stated by law, so there's quite a bit of great manga that never made it to anime since they do not contain either of those things. First things that come to mind are Yotsubato, Air Gear, and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (though Jojo did get a few seasons, more than maybe half of the series is in manga only).
I'm all for criticism of the current state of the anime industry but your comment indicates you are insanely out-of-touch with the current anime landscape. Pretty much nothing that is celebrated as being good falls into your categories; you just suck at finding good anime. You might as well be saying Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones or w/e is bad because Kardashians exists.
Akanagi
Found the elitist.
ABD007
*Sigh*
Green Platinum

Rayne wrote:

Found the elitist.

Reality is anime has always been extremely incestuious when it comes to where it gets its inspiration. Because you aren't living season to season in the 90's you don't see all the imitators. It ultimately comes down to which cliches suit your palatte hence I love 1970s anime. Ironic that my broad experience and taste make me an elitist though.
Akanagi

Green Platinum wrote:

Reality is anime has always been extremely incestuious when it comes to where it gets its inspiration. Because you aren't living season to season in the 90's you don't see all the imitators. It ultimately comes down to which cliches suit your palatte hence I love 1970s anime. Ironic that my broad experience and taste make me an elitist though.
It's the way you phrased your first two answers that make you seem like one. Elitists usually think of themselves as superior because of things like experience and "superior taste".

It's less about picking a cliche, but about stuff with original ideas.
You told the other guy he's "just bad at finding good anime" so I'd be interested in what methods you use to find stuff other than digging through massive amounts of stuff which is basically just trail & error.

Even if you follow the top ranked stuff, which I think is the most popular, convenient and effective way to find stuff.. The amount of really good stuff is few and most people have seen most of it by now.
Again, obviously not ALL modern anime is bad, but it's still a fair point to just say modern TV / anime sucks if most of the stuff you see out there is still "bad".

The amount of loser / self-insert MCs in shounen and romance, highschool settings, overused stereotypes (Yandere, Tsundere, Tomboy, the sporty girl, the smart girl, the young female teacher not getting married, perv old guy, etc. mixed with the fitting visual stereotype)

I know that anime and just art in general obviously just draws its inspiration from other stuff, that's just how art works and develops itself, but still the current "meta" of anime to me seems to revolve around said stereotypes and certain settings.

The only stuff I honestly enjoyed or atleast kept me interested, and / or had a nice meaning to them, were anime like Mushishi, Chihiro, Mononoke, Detective Conan, Ping-Pong, Kaguya-hime no Monogatari and Kara no Kyoukai, though the latter more because it featured cool ideas and I've already read Tsukihime prior to watching it.
Kara no Kyoukai later felt like Nasu was trying too hard to be edgy and philosophical, and it didn't surprise me at all when I later found out he was inspired by NGE, so this one is just on the list for nice ideas.

Anyway, I think all of this stuff was originally produced in the mid or late 90s. Maybe I'm just a 90s kid.
Again, sure, few outliers here and there but overall modern anime feel kinda the same across their respective genres.
Nigrod
I only enjoy watching old anime. I think the only thing good coming out of modern anime is its music.
Green Platinum

Rayne wrote:

It's the way you phrased your first two answers that make you seem like one. Elitists usually think of themselves as superior because of things like experience and "superior taste".

It's less about picking a cliche, but about stuff with original ideas.
You told the other guy he's "just bad at finding good anime" so I'd be interested in what methods you use to find stuff other than digging through massive amounts of stuff which is basically just trail & error.
Elitists also attempt to shrink the pool of what is acceptable content through gatekeeping. I think you are the greater elitist here.

Best way is to find creatives whose works fall into your tastes particularly writing staff and directors as well as their influences.

And yes the other guy does suck at finding good anime.

Ribba1998 wrote:

There were so many Attack on Titan clones that came up for a few years, it was unbearable. Not to mention all the surface-level moe garbage they spew out nowadays.
All anime made has to contain oppai and cat grills as stated by law
Lets look at a bunch of recent as well as celebrated anime and see if they fit with Ribba's observations:
-Made in Abyss Nope
-Devilman Crybaby Nope
-Hero Academia Nope
-Houseki no Kuni Nope
-Yuri on Ice Nope
-Shokugeki no Soma Maybe...
-Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Nope
-One Punch Man Nope
I fail to see a connection. Even Eromanga-sensei the shittiest of shit fails this. Pair this with AOT clones? Tokyo Ghoul and Kabaneri are the only ones I truly believe fail into this category, but SAO clones I would agree with here.

Rayne wrote:

Even if you follow the top ranked stuff, which I think is the most popular, convenient and effective way to find stuff.. The amount of really good stuff is few and most people have seen most of it by now.
Again, obviously not ALL modern anime is bad, but it's still a fair point to just say modern TV / anime sucks if most of the stuff you see out there is still "bad".

The only stuff I honestly enjoyed or atleast kept me interested, and / or had a nice meaning to them, ...
I can't talk for what you have seen versus what you have tried but as somebody who the 'top rated' on MAL looks like this.
There are plenty of great shows I need to check out. (And wait for those pesky currently airing shows to finish)

It doesn't matter how much bad anime exists because you drop that shit. I can easily point to stuff like Agent Aika, Sol Bianca, Gall Force etc as crap 90's era fanservice/moe shows but in reality it doesn't matter because you can just choose to not watch them. It isn't like Utena, Eva and Lain are some baseline for mediocrity in the 90s. Basic Sturgeon's Law here.
show more