forum

Titles

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +12
Topic Starter
mulraf

tl;dr: achievements give chooseable, optionable titles that are displayed in profiles and lobbies.

Motivation:
Hello there. As you might know in the current state of the game we have lots of Achievements and regularly there are new ones added to the pool. I really like collecting the achievements, but my problem with them is: if no one knows it doesn't really feel like an achievement at all. With the new website design you can rearrange your tabs to highlight certain parts of your profile which is already a step into a good direction if you ask me. But the way that achievements currently are designed, it doesn't really stand out at all and impressive feats such as fc'ing a map with AR11 OD11 HP11 and over 260BPM or playing every gamemode over 5.000 times are easily overlooked when presented with a wall of "hey, i passed a 1* mania map!" or "hey, i turned the nofail mod on once in my lifetime!". Those achievements could highlight things you are proud of, certain things you are especially good at. Your pp won't tell anybody about any niche skills. PP won't tell anybody about you playing all 4 gamemodes or you actually being a mania player while you are in a standard lobby. PP won't tell anybody about your dedication. I think this is a huge wasted potential and that's why i came up with the idea of osu!Titles.

My idea of osu!Titles:
Getting a title that is displayed in your profile and in the lobby for many of the achievements. That's it essentially.
There should be one basic title that every new player gets automatically and usually it should set the title to either your basic title or the highest sr fc title you got. that should of course only be the automated one for the lazy people. In your profile (or the options) you can just change it to any of the ones you got. Or no title if you think they suck and you want to have it the way it is right now.
Not all achievements should be accompanied by titles. I'm especially talking about the beatmap packs here. Maybe there could be something like <Lulz Lover> for completing all 4 of them but those are details that might be better of decided be the staff.
I think for many titles the achievements already have a pretty fitting name or description. "Jack of all trades" is one that instantly comes to mind. "Impeccable". "Stumbler". "Abberation". "Perfectionist". While others may want to get a new creative title. "Thrill of the chase" doesn't really sound like a 'title' for example.

Screenshots:

(why there you may ask? I thought it might look cool after the name in <>'s or []'s too. But i kinda have a feeling if we get clans (and i kinda have a feeling we will get clans) then it'll be something after the name already. If not i'd see it as a viable positioning too).
Flanster
Considering concept screenshots of development this probably might happen in the future

Also related, probably more out there, has been requested before, one way or another.
https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/topics/48057
https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/topics/119918
worst fl player
Didn't even know this was gonna be a thing.

Cool
Topic Starter
mulraf
wew. that would be cool. maybe they had other plans for the titles tho and this can act as a source of inspiration. but nice to know :D
_Meep_
owo)b
i like the idea
go for it 7(^_^)7
h3oCharles
osu!Skills has already implemented that in some way. There isn't an explanation of how they are applied tho.