forum

[Archived] GeForce Cards Failing To Open Osu

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Furrious
(Can I get a pin for this? This will be an issue for the next week or two until NVIDIA posts a proper patch in GeForce Experience)
Hi All!

So I have been running into issues between DirectX giving out a lot of issues to all my other games, and just wanted to play osu this morning and come to find out I would get stack errors about how DirectX cannot create the Desktop also, just like all my other games.

Come to find out, the recent install for NVIDIA GeForce for the April update is not stable right now for GeForce cards.
Check here: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4661

So no matter how many times you run the updater for the April patch, it will tell you that you would need to install it again.
The following line is why: "- Windows 10: Driver may get removed after PC has been left idle for an extended period of time."

So running the installer from the provided link is a hotfix to resolve the issue. After updating to that revision, osu! and all my other games work fine now.

Just putting this up here in case Forum Mods or Helpers have seen people with GeForce cards/drivers that are complaining about getting stack errors and they keep updating their GeForce and wondering why it keeps failing.
Here is the Megathread: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1049931/geforce-drivers/397-31-will-not-install/1/

I am not sure, but it may pertain to other GTX cards with GeForce Experience also.

************************************************************************************

Another thing to note, if you set the game to OpenGL or do Fallback it will place the game in the upper left corner with the Copyright date showing 2015.
Keeping the game to DirectX and setting the different versions of the game, it will give stack errors when opening about not being able to create a Desktop by D3D9 or whatever version of DirectX the game uses.

************************************************************************************

NVIDIA is informed about DirectX is not allocating properly with patch 397.31 and that it will unsign itself and uninstall out of no where every few hours.
thenull
Had this same issue a day or two ago. Thought I was going crazy until I came across the hotfix driver. This is really important information for NVIDIA users.
Death
I've been aware of the issues with the latest NVIDIA drivers for a couple days.

By default, osu!'s renderer is OpenGL. Upon opening the game without any drivers installed you will most likely be put on fallback automatically. Fallback's default renderer is DirectX.

After you've installed this hotfix, make sure you change your release stream back to "Stable (Latest)" if you are still on fallback.
Topic Starter
Furrious

Death wrote:

I've been aware of the issues with the latest NVIDIA drivers for a couple days.

By default, osu!'s renderer is OpenGL. Upon opening the game without any drivers installed you will most likely be put on fallback automatically. Fallback's default renderer is DirectX.

After you've installed this hotfix, make sure you change your release stream back to "Stable (Latest)" if you are still on fallback.

Is it pin worthy until NVIDIA gets a proper driver update out?
Death
This doesn't really need to be pinned, but anyone is welcome to refer people to this thread if they are having problems caused by this issue.