forum

[resolved] Adding barlines to osu! mania?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
nullitonic
I downloaded a skin that I really like for mania but it has a really transparent black note 'highway' without any barlines. I assume it's something to be edited in an ini file but I can only find 'barlinewidth' variables to edit and I'm not sure what to do with those. Since I like seeing barlines, I was hoping it'd be something obvious edit like 'barline=0' or something like that.

Anyway, could anyone please let me know how to add barlines back to a skin that removed them? It's the "Aesthetic 1.3.1" skin if that matters.
Death
There should be a line called "BarlineHeight" somewhere under the [Mania] section of your skin.ini. I think you may have accidentally confused it with ColumnWidth. BarlineHeight must be set to 0 for the horizontal bar lines to disappear, so it has to be somewhere in there. Each Mania section can also have its own bar line height setting, so if your skin.ini has multiple sections, make sure you check each one. Once you've found it, set it to a larger number or just delete it entirely, the default value is 1.2. Save the file and refresh your skin.
Topic Starter
nullitonic
I feel like I must be missing something obvious here... I ctrl+f'd every ini file in the skin's folder (4k, 5k, etc. as well as four different skin.ini's) and no "BarlineHeight" line is anywhere to be found in any of the ini files. I tried adding "BarlineHeight: 1" to every file, saved them, restarted osu and had no luck. I checked other skin folders that do have barlines and there weren't any BarlineHeight lines in the files. Some didn't even' have BarlineWidth... ColumnWidth is there but I'm not sure how that plays into this. I tried adding "BarlineHeight: 1" to all skin and mania ini files, saved them, restarted osu and had no luck.

The barline section of the skin I want to add it to just looks like this:
skin.ini
//Barline
BarlineWidth: 4
ColourBarline: 255,255,255,48
Death
I forgot ColourBarline was rgba, the last value controls the transparency of the line. Try changing that 48 to 255.

You will still want to add a BarlineHeight to each section of your skin.ini if you want to make the line thicker.

The individual #k.ini files no longer do anything, so you don't need to worry about them. BarlineWidth also does not do anything, this value is what should be BarlineHeight, it was renamed 3 years ago.
Topic Starter
nullitonic
Changing the alpha value did the trick. Thanks for your help! The info about BarlineHeight is useful as well. Also now I know the #k files are deprecated saving me a few minutes so that's cool.