forum

Help with different things

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
animeruleslol
So I've been on osu for quite some time but I still don't know about all the slangs and how much pp is good. I'd really appreciate it if someone could tell me how much is good, and if the amount I have right now is good, It's 303pp.
Thank you in advance.
Kingkevin30
Welp, let's start then, dunno what you mean by "slangs" but if you mean mode-specific Terms that are used in CTB, then we actually don't have that many.

Osu!Catch Specific terms

1. Jump/Hyperjump: Jumps are triggered by using the Dash-Button=(SHIFT by Default) | and Hyperjumps are Dashes with Hyperfruits
  2. Edge Dash: A Large Distance Jump that doesn't generates a hyperfruit. An thus must be catched with the edge of your plate.
  3. Hyperchain: Dunno if its a term only i use or not. But I would consider a hyperchain as 4 or more consecutive hyperfruits that chain into each other.
  4. Fruit/Drop/Droplets/Bananas: Pretty self explanatory, just the different types of fruits generated by "Hit Circles/Slider Ticks/Slider Body & Spinners"
  5. Antiflow: A strong direction or velocity change that goes against a player's natural movement pattern.
  6. Spinner-Trap: A Spinner pattern that leads you into the opposite site of where the next fruit is gonna be.

PP Stuff

I wouldn't say that PP should be the only factors you gauge your improvement from, since there a lot of variants of skills that you could aquire that aren't really be shown through PP. But if you just wanna have some rough Number-Goal you would like to strife for, then i would say that whatever the current #1000 has should be your goal for now. Which in this case is 5300pp as of today.

How to find out how much PP something gives / A thing i posted a year ago for some guy

1. Don't value the difficulty of a Map by its Difficulty-Name

A Maps PP-Output has many different Factors that determine how much pp it''ll give. I'll just quote a few that are listed on the open Github Folder for the PP-System
  1. Longer maps are worth more. "Longer" means how many hits there are which can contribute to combo
  2. Penalize misses exponentially. (Every miss takes a huge chunk off the MAXIMUM PP)
  3. 10% for each AR above 9 | 2.5% for each AR below 8
  4. Hidden gives nothing on max approach rate, and more the lower it is | 7.5% for each AR below 10
  5. Apply length bonus again if flashlight is on simply because it becomes a lot harder on longer maps. (FL scales massively on long maps)
  6. We are heavily relying on aim in catch the beat (meaning the more sharp movements -> bigger aim value -> more pp)

2.You can approximately gauge the Amount of PP from the Star Rating

While i just listed Reasons to not trust the Difficulty Name, i'd still think that relying on the Star Rating system is kinda accurate if you take the factors from before in account. Meaning. you play a 2Star Map with average TV Size Length. If its above AR9, then you'll get your 10% boost, if its under 8 you'll get your 2.5% boost. from your knowledge from other maps you can kinda savely assume that this is either gonna be a Map that gives you more than 50pp or just a tick less than 50.

3.Take the Easy Route and use a Plug-in / Software to determine a Maps PP-Output

You'll find a whole roster of interesting little Tools for Map Information in the Development Subforum My Personal Favourite would be.

osu! Plus

This little userscript allows you to just check any kind of ranking Scoreboard, PP Output, Max Combo, and let's you filter that Information to your liking. The only things you need for it is a script plug-in like Tampermonkey (for Chrome) or Greasemonkey (for Firefox) installed and enabled.

4.Just use the new Website

The New Website already has PP values displayed on every Beatmap-Page, so you can just compare how much somebody else got for an SS with a specific Mod

Now that you know exactly know how much PP a Map gives, Which should you play???

Now there is only one thing to keep in mind when playing Maps. There are only two things that determine how much PP you'll get.

1. Only your Top100 Top Ranks Count. And they give less the lower they are placed in your Top100 (weighted 100% ; weighted 95% etc.)
  2. You get Bonus PP for Score Amount until a Point.
Bonus PP Chart :