forum

Rubber Dome to Mechanical Keyboard

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Toastuy
Hello friends,
So I've decided to ditch my 2 year old rubber dome keyboard, as it is pretty much falling apart from extensive mania play.

I've been researching on what mechanical keyboard to get. and I found the Corsair Gaming K70 LUX Illuminated Mechanical Keyboard to be a nice affordable option, although I'm not sure if I should get Cherry MX brown or red switches.

People say red switches are bad for mania because they're very sensitive, and they will bottom out a lot because they're linear.
On the other hand, people say brown switches are hard to press, and slow you down a lot.

As I am transitioning from a rubber dome keyboard, which has similar feedback as a brown switch, should I go with the Cherry MX browns? Or should I take the time and adapt to reds?

Thank you!
Bobbias
Most people consider MX Browns to be the best option. Whoever said browns would slow you down is just plain wrong. Something like blacks or blues might slow you down a bit, but even then there are very good players who use both as well.

Switch choice is basically pure preference. I have a mech KB with reds and I will say that they are quite sensitive. I make way more typos on it than I do other keyboards. And they are very easy to bottom out unless you're extremely light with your typing. The single biggest difference between them and browns though would be the lack of tactile bump. There's no sensation that tells you that you actuated the key, unlike both rubber dome keys and brown and blue switches.