forum

Osu Mania Gaging Interest in a Map and Play Monthly Tournament

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
theboxlynx
Hello everyone. I was wondering if there would be interest in a monthly map and play tournament. Essentially it would have a week long mapping phase where everyone would submit their maps. Map creation would be limited to a certain theme to be determined each month (Could be genre or type of map or something else). After that, every user that signed up for the tournament (before the end of the mapping phase) would compete round robin over a weekend (could do 2 if needed depending on interest). All charts for the round robin would be charts made in the beat mapping of the first week. I am open to ideas, suggestions, and potential problems (scheduling and staffing for sure). Would just like to see some sort of mania monthly tournament and this was the idea I came up with :3. Let me know what you think!
huy2002
Tell me more informations about this tournament such as the time this tournament start, where can i register, i will play 1v1 2v2 or anything else... Please rep, this tour has mania 4k or 7k, or both 4k and 7k
Miniature Lamp
It would be interesting to see a basis for a tournament based community in mania (although there already are some I don't think they've done much quite like what you propose), although I'm not sure who you intend on hosting these tournaments. I do like the idea of themes for tournaments, as it sounds like a good way to broaden the perspective the tournaments could have.
NightNarumi
If its 4k mania, then I am ready :p
Topic Starter
theboxlynx
Sorry for the late response, life got crazy. Anyways, the tournament would be 4k mania. If someone else wanted to handle the 7k, and other k aspects of it they are more than free to do so. If you guys are still interested, I will make a discord, and we can start planning and organizing.
Zephyte
Gonna support every effort on creating an active tourney scene, like standard gained in the last months-years, but have some critical words >.< Staff would have to screen maps... While I like the idea of everyone being able to create and submit their own maps and maps dont have to be great or crazy, they should be properly timed, not completely copy & paste and have at least a bit of flow etc. Now I am not gonna expect that everyone can do that and it would feel pretty bad to have some of the submitters spend lots of effort and have their map ignored bc it's too subpar to use as a tournament map or something...

So I don't know how many playable maps we'd get out of this- how about still keeping that idea, but choosing only half the mappool from newly created maps and the rest from existing ones? If this ends up successfull and enough people submit maps+ play the tourney, you could still change that rule back, of course... Just think you shouldn't aim too high for the first instance?

Creating a decent map takes quite some time and playtesting/editing/feedback etc. + you have to train some of the maps if you are participating in the tourney... So don't know how many would submit a map and one at that, that's playable, while also participating in the tournament. On the other hand: Don't get me wrong, I really like the idea. You could also accept people only submitting/creating maps instead of playing (so a seperate role from the tourney participants). Of course players also could get the chance to submit maps like you planned while also participating, but it's no must. That way more unknown/new mappers can get their maps known/exposed/played+ can get valuable feedback or even mods later on and receive more support to keep going with the mapping. Could in the long-run help boosting the amount of new maps we get for mania.

Now you of course can totally ignore this, I just wanted to share my thoughts as someone that recently got into mapping and spent quite some time on it. I'd love to see a tourney scene and I'd love if we got enough good map entries every round+ players... But I really think we can take this step by step and start small. Eg. making it possible to apply as mapper only and making it possible to apply as player only (with the possibility to still submit maps). To encourage the creation of maps, you could also let the participants of the tourney vote for their favourite map every round. So eg. best map created in the tourney (or per round if there are enough) with the chance to gain small rewards like 1 month of supporter and stuff... Could spin this further, but I spammed enough already. Just thought this was a great place to at least voice what I had in mind for quite some time now.
Topic Starter
theboxlynx
I like your ideas, and agree with them. To get started I know there might have to be some fluff, but wanted to at least put out the end sight and overall vision for the tourney. I think I'll start by getting some staff together, and getting a discord server going. I'll post the link here in a bit, and people can join. Gonna go through a planning phase, then a promotion, then host the first one. After that will take suggestions and kinda continue and revise each time till it gets where people feel pretty good about it and feels smooth.
Topic Starter
theboxlynx
Permalink for discord invite. Join I'm still setting it up, and will definitely need help. https://discord.gg/QjeNNcB