forum

[Archived] 60 FPS Cap w/Discrete Graphics Card in Fullscreen Mode

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
raccoongamer
Hello there!

I'm having a trouble with FPS capping at 60 FPS when I open osu! with NVIDIA graphics processor, and it seems quite a common problem according to the search, but I have already tried every suggestion I found in these discussions (including reinstalling and updating both integrated and discrete graphic processor drivers, turning in-game frame limiter off, turning vsync and triple buffering off, changing my power plan to high performance (both in graphic card settings and system settings), having "Disable fullscreen optimisation" on in "Compatibility" menu, it also looks like I don't have any frame limiter processes running in the background).

Any other suggestions, please?
Topic Starter
raccoongamer
Still struggling, any solutions, pleeease?
vicky5124

raccoongamer wrote:

If you have an nVidia gpu, disable VSync from the nVidia control panel.
If you have an AMD gpu, also disable VSync, but idk where.
If you have an Intel gpu, Disable VSync on the HD Graphic Driver settings.
Topic Starter
raccoongamer

nitsuga5124 wrote:

raccoongamer wrote:

If you have an nVidia gpu, disable VSync from the nVidia control panel.
If you have an AMD gpu, also disable VSync, but idk where.
If you have an Intel gpu, Disable VSync on the HD Graphic Driver settings.

While I still appreciate any response, it is still a pity you didn't actually read my post; I've already done this.
Topic Starter
raccoongamer
And still nothing works, any other ideas?
NevaFC
Use compability mode in osu! setting
Topic Starter
raccoongamer

NevaFC wrote:

Use compability mode in osu! setting

Well, it’s true that it works with compatibility mode, but with quite high input lag (as it is stated in settings), so it’s more of a way to avoid the problem, not to actually solve it, yet still thanks for the response!

UPD. I’ve read a bit about the compatibility mode and it seems like it only transfers OpenGL to DirectX, and it’s unclear how can it affect the issue the way it does. Also, there is no actual way to “update OpenGL” (because it’s not software), I’m really confused about that.
Mivi_MA
i had the same problem! sadly i couldnt do anything but to pretty much reinstall the gmae which was kinda sad but hey at least it fixed it

so if you dont have any solutions and cant fix it anymore just do that!
Topic Starter
raccoongamer

MIVZ wrote:

i had the same problem! sadly i couldnt do anything but to pretty much reinstall the gmae which was kinda sad but hey at least it fixed it

so if you dont have any solutions and cant fix it anymore just do that!

Eh, still out of luck :(

Oddly enough, the game launched in compatibility mode the first time I opened it after the reinstall (don't actually know if it's normal), and still the same problem without the compatibility mode.

But still thank you for the suggestion!
Topic Starter
raccoongamer
Bumping in hope that somebody will come up with the solution.
Death
Here is a resolved thread with a person having the same issue as you: https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/topics/688876

It seems you have tried most of what was recommended in there, but I'd still suggest you go through the entire thing and try anything you have not yet done.

In the end, their issue was resolved by installing integrated graphics drivers that were slightly old, instead of the most up to date version available.
Topic Starter
raccoongamer

Death wrote:

Here is a resolved thread with a person having the same issue as you: https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/topics/688876

It seems you have tried most of what was recommended in there, but I'd still suggest you go through the entire thing and try anything you have not yet done.

In the end, their issue was resolved by installing integrated graphics drivers that were slightly old, instead of the most up to date version available.

Thanks for your response.

So, basically, I've checked everything in the linked thread, and the last thing was messing with drivers. I've already tried OP's solution (he used the device manager's update tool to get rid of a problem), and that didn't work for me. So I decided to take your solution: I've found the previous driver for my integrated graphics version and tried to install it, yet it didn't work out because of an error in the middle of installation process. After that I tried to update back to the newest version, but I got the same error as before, and even had BSOD while restarting my laptop.

Then I decided to delete the integrated graphics driver completely, and I decided to run osu! after the uninstall. To my surpise, the cap vanished, it ran well on the discrete graphics card without integrated graphics driver. That was the only time I saw this, because when I installed the older version after that, the cap returned. The same issue remained after uninstalling and installing the newest version.

I'll try to install even more outdated version of this driver, but it's highly unlikely to help. So it's still not a success.

Yet still thanks again for the suggestion!

UPD. As expected, an even older driver did not work, so I'm out of options for now.
Anemic Witch
Are you sure there are no external programs that are limiting the FPS? This may be caused by anything starting from anti-cheats to incorrect power saving settings. You can also download "NVIDIA Profile Inspector" to see if your driver has frame limiter enabled.
Topic Starter
raccoongamer

Anemic Witch wrote:

Are you sure there are no external programs that are limiting the FPS? This may be caused by anything starting from anti-cheats to incorrect power saving settings. You can also download "NVIDIA Profile Inspector" to see if your driver has frame limiter enabled.

I downloaded the utility and yep, I'm now sure that frame limiters are disabled, yet the problem still persists. As you can see from the previous posts, the problem seems to be connected with integrated graphics driver (because osu! works fine without the integrated graphics driver installed), but I don't have even a slightest idea about that.

And yes, still thank you for the suggestion!
Topic Starter
raccoongamer
Just a quick note on the key points of the configuration of the problem (meaning the cap vanishes without one of these):

- Fullscreen mode (don't actually know why it is different from the windowed, but it works fine in windowed borderless, yet the input lag is too high)
- Compatibility mode off (so the problem is somehow connected to OpenGL, can't turn it on due to the input lag issues)
- Intel HD Graphics driver installed (see above posts for an explanation. Guess it's quite obvious why can't I go on without the driver)

I'll edit the list if I could come up with something new.

Hope this helps to get closer to the solution. Any suggestions, please?
Anemic Witch
Okay, I have a spare laptop with Windows 10 and both Intel HD\NVIDIA 840m graphics adapter which seems to be similar to your case. When I installed the game my FPS didn't go above 60 too. The problem was (as I expected) in power saving settings, and it disappeared after I've created custom profile with all power saving options turned off (either Windows or some firmware kept changing it back before I created custom one).

Also, I have much more FPS and less latency when I launch osu! using IntelHD graphics instead of NVIDIA one, most probably because my drivers are really outdated, but you should try launching your game on IntelHD explicitly.
Topic Starter
raccoongamer

Anemic Witch wrote:

Okay, I have a spare laptop with Windows 10 and both Intel HD\NVIDIA 840m graphics adapter which seems to be similar to your case. When I installed the game my FPS didn't go above 60 too. The problem was (as I expected) in power saving settings, and it disappeared after I've created custom profile with all power saving options turned off (either Windows or some firmware kept changing it back before I created custom one).

Also, I have much more FPS and less latency when I launch osu! using IntelHD graphics instead of NVIDIA one, most probably because my drivers are really outdated, but you should try launching your game on IntelHD explicitly.

Well, actually I used the edited High Performance profile (I ran through all the options to make sure everything is set to the highest performance mode), and it did not work, yet to be absolutely sure I made a custom profile and did the same thing. It didn't help (and I'd be very surprised if it did). So I'm still out of luck, eh :/

As for the Intel Graphics, I now play osu! via integrated graphics chosen explicitly via NVIDIA Control Panel, but the main problem is that it has huge fps drops when playing with video/storyboard, which I do quite sometimes (well, quite expected fps drops because integrated graphics is not actually suitable for video decoding and handling a game at the same time),so it's more of a temporary decision (I hope, at least).

Yet still thanks for another suggestion!
Topic Starter
raccoongamer
I'm sorry for bumping the same thread after quite a long time, but I do it in hope of some fresh ideas. Does anyone have some?
Kaguyaaa
Did you recently have a windows update or something because sometimes the updates can ruin performance and even increase input lag...I really do sympathize with you because I had the same problem however luckily for me i just use my Intel graphics card and it's all good...