forum

Transitioning from 3* to 4*

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Toastuy
Hello!
I've been playing this game for a little under 100 days (already woah)
I am currently rank 31k, and play mostly 4k.
Currently I am able to S most 3* songs, and I'm starting to FC them, although if I try to play 4* my accuracy drops from 97% to ~80%
This was also the case when transitioning from 2* to 3*.
My question is should I just force myself into 4* like I did with 3*? Or should I just keep playing 3* until I can play 4* semi good (High B low A)
Thank you
abraker
97% is pretty decent, and I don't think you will get any use from getting higher acc other than being precise or being able to FC the map. 80% is pretty shitty to force yourself to do. I believe you are missing maps with difficulty in between. You should be doing maps you have 92-95% on.
Hayzeusky
Well. tbh. You shouldn't use stars as a way to gauge skill. There are some 5 stars I can beat and some I can't so its really a toss up when it comes down to star rating. As for your transition. Most people feel the need to post when they reach a plateau or assume they have reached one. There is almost nothing anyone but yourself can do to help you improve. I also noticed you mentioned rank. Unless you want to remain an average player you are gonna need to play unranked maps to improve in this game. Yes, the end goal is to prove you are the best. But trust me. Most ranked maps are easy and won't get you to the skill level you want to be at. The only tip is play more and disregard rank for skill.
Bobbias
Yes, star rating is pretty broken. It's less noticeable at lower stars (with the exception of stuff that's extremely underrated, like low star LN maps in 7k), but as you get to the 3.5+ star range it begins becoming much more noticeable because there's more diversity in the types of patterns available to be used at these higher difficulties.

Personally, I'd say you should practice a wide range of maps. Playing maps you only get low B's on will help you get familiar with more difficult patterns than what you're really used to, which can help you handle the more difficult parts of songs that are a bit easier too. Maps you can get high B's and low A's on are good practice for actually improving on the next "step up" in difficulty. Stuff you can either nearly S, or just barely S are good practice for getting a bit more consistent with patterns you can play, but still have some issues with. Above about 97% you won't really get any good practice for actually playing harder maps. When you play maps you can hit 97's or higher on, the only thing you're doing is practicing accuracy.

Accuracy is certainly helpful for getting better scores on maps you can already play, but it won't have much effect on the harder maps. In fact, focusing too much on high accuracy plays can actually cause you to get worse at harder maps (only if you spend way too long only playing those maps).
Topic Starter
Toastuy

Hayzeusky wrote:

I also noticed you mentioned rank. Unless you want to remain an average player you are gonna need to play unranked maps to improve in this game. Yes, the end goal is to prove you are the best. But trust me. Most ranked maps are easy and won't get you to the skill level you want to be at. The only tip is play more and disregard rank for skill.
I agree with this, I play a lot of Yolomania and Stepmania converts for practicing harder things (i.e jumpstream, jackspeed, etc) Would you recommend any unranked maps specifically?

Also I downloaded a bunch of 3.8* - 4* maps I've been practicing and those are helping a lot.

Thank you guys for your advice!
Bobbias
Its hard to recommend specific maps without knowing what you need to practice. At around this level you start needing to practice specific types of patterns. In easier maps, there isnt as much variety and most maps arent based around specific kinds of patterns, but starting atound this difficulty you begin seeing maps that do that. Identify your weaknessea and look for maps that are focused on those patterns. Imo you should try just downloading random maps too. Theres lots of maps out there that dont get much attention that may be great practice for you.
lenpai
try checking out charts from tournament mappools both mwc and independent ones which you can find under the tournaments subforum. If there are notecharts you like, check out other stuff the mapper made and check out their favorites. It's a good start to grabbing more unranked files.