forum

Best Manga pages

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Green Platinum
Despite all the claims praising the superiority of Manga to Anime as a medium I have my doubts regarding whether people appreciate the finer details that go into single manga pages. From my experience most manga is incredibly uninspired when it come to layouts and paneling. So wanted a thread for people to showcase great the aspects of manga that people tend to overlook. And hopefully convince others to checkout great manga.

How I want this thread to work is people show pages the love, provide important context to the page as well as offering a statement on what makes the page so good to them.

So here's mine.

Spoilers to Ashita no Joe
The page happens after Joe kills his beloved rival and friend Rikishi in a boxing match and he has since become traumatised, unable to strike opponents in the head due to a subconscious fear of killing them as well. The artist of the series Chiba Tetsuya often divides pages with great emotional gravitas in half leaving a panel isolated to work as a set piece while the action primarily occurs much more claustrophobic and intimate fashion perhaps communicating an inability to escape from the problems at hand. This one is especially interesting because the cord hanging above the light in the right most panel resembles a noose, currently overhead waiting to strangle his boxing career and his only hope to escape his impoverished, rebellious life style. Of course this is paralleled on the left half as Joe is the only one illuminated by the light while Danpe and Nishi are shadowed.