forum

Why aren’t there as many DT plays in CTB as mania?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
[MTF] Wolfette
I’m kinda new to CTB so I’ve wondered this.

Does DT make any map above 4-5* unviable to play or not worth the amount of pp it gives? Or is the timing simply too strict to play it consistently?

I’m not a DT main so I’m not really sure of why this is.
Kasumi-sama
Because DT is actually hard in CTB.
Topic Starter
[MTF] Wolfette

Kasumii-sama wrote:

Because DT is actually hard in CTB.
It is actually pretty tough. I can play some lower level maps with DT/EZ DT, but the biggest problem for me is approach rate, I can’t read any AR > 9 cause I have eye problem.
DeletedUser_1417202
1. Less Users (they played ctb map only)
2. It has too many luck pattern in converts (std map)
and then it don't give high pp
3. Much is required. (ar, pattern skills etc..)

That's what I think this this Minigame
eldnl
I think it is actually harder, the software limit, high AR and the lack of "rhythm game" makes it really hard at first. I'm practicing it and I find it harder than taiko and mania (unless the bpm is stupidly fast). Idk about standard because it needs rhythm and aim.
Nanachii
speed of the catcher can be a huge turnoff + high AR
PakaChan
DT in ctb changes your catcher movement speed, you need almost completly different muscle memory for it. For mania the only change is the speed. (and ofc the difficulty for both)
People are quick to scream high AR even tho AR is only a small part of what makes it hard, same people couldn't play these maps on any AR.

less players = less skill overall, less mappers -> less maps to practice on -> even less skill
mania has been a thing forever, people had a lot more time to get good
You may not like it, but ctb players aren't good enough to play good proper DT yet,it's only natural.

Learning DT is significantly harder than just going nomod. As new player you'll probably have an easy time DT-ing salads but the jump to platter is huge. By the time you can play platters dt which are 4*~, you'll probably be playing overdoses which are 5-6*~. Since you progress so much visibly faster in both skill and pp nomod you'll be discouraged and probably focus more on nomod. Furthermore you'll probably shift your focus to HR as it's way easier to learn.
The jump from platter to rain is even harder and by then any play you'll do with dt will most likely not give you any pp. Your plays won't show up in your top ranks, and on leaderboards they will be burried under a ton of HR scores or even HD scores if you don't play HDDT.
There are plenty of 4-5* DT scores but they just don't get noticed.

As for converts, barely anyone even FCs 6* converts nomod, can't expect people to dt 4-5* which is ~6*.
He Ang CTB

PakaChan wrote:

DT in ctb changes your catcher movement speed, you need almost completly different muscle memory for it. For mania the only change is the speed. (and ofc the difficulty for both)
People are quick to scream high AR even tho AR is only a small part of what makes it hard, same people couldn't play these maps on any AR.

less players = less skill overall, less mappers -> less maps to practice on -> even less skill
mania has been a thing forever, people had a lot more time to get good
You may not like it, but ctb players aren't good enough to play good proper DT yet,it's only natural.

Learning DT is significantly harder than just going nomod. As new player you'll probably have an easy time DT-ing salads but the jump to platter is huge. By the time you can play platters dt which are 4*~, you'll probably be playing overdoses which are 5-6*~. Since you progress so much visibly faster in both skill and pp nomod you'll be discouraged and probably focus more on nomod. Furthermore you'll probably shift your focus to HR as it's way easier to learn.
The jump from platter to rain is even harder and by then any play you'll do with dt will most likely not give you any pp. Your plays won't show up in your top ranks, and on leaderboards they will be burried under a ton of HR scores or even HD scores if you don't play HDDT.
There are plenty of 4-5* DT scores but they just don't get noticed.

As for converts, barely anyone even FCs 6* converts nomod, can't expect people to dt 4-5* which is ~6*.
^ True!

Also the catcher speed in CTB is fixed, that means certain jumps are mathematically impossible to react to unless you have predicted/memorised the next fruit, which is pretty hard since many converted maps have non-uniform spacing/jump-timings in CTB.
Some converted maps have strict edge-jumps too, it is like playing a normal CS4 map on AR9 DT in Standard, but all of a sudden a CS10 circle appears randomly, and you'll have to click it off-rhythm/a little early to ht it. If you don't hit a perfect 300 that's considered a miss, and if the next pattern is some cross-screen jumps, you will be forced to fail; this can appear as many times as the map allows, usually up to 3-4 times in a particularly hard 4+ star convert, which could be around 5.8* with DT. AKA you won't gain any pp at all at that skill level considering you would have completed all the 7* - 8* maps in CTB specifics.

So to sum it all up for convert AR9 DTs:
1. Sometimes it's mathematically impossible to AR9 DT unless previously memorised.
2. Sometimes it is mechanically impossible due to keyboard inconsistencies, not falling within the window of error allowed for strict edge-jumps.
3. Sometimes it is humanly impossible for the fingers to be consistently that precise over a marathon song.
4. Most of the time there is no pattern/rhythmic indications for players to memorise, one must resort memorise by brute force or luck.
5. Most of the time a good DT play on said converts is impossible to appear on the top 50 leaderboard, people don't really know it's being done.
6. Most of the time said converts don't even give pp, it is impossible for people to see it from someone's top pp score on his/her profile.
7. So basically one has to play thousands of times and spend countless hours on something completely rewardless, while there are hundreds of rewarding things to do with all that effort, all on something that is very likely to be utterly impossible and/or invisible to the community.
8. Essentially, people only do it for novelty and self-challenge, and the only people who can do it are already novel and constantly challenging themselves over other aspects of the game; and even if all of the above conditions has been satisfied for these top-end motivated players, they are not guaranteed to gain anything at all in the end, superficially, socially, or emotionally.

TL;DR version: Can't do it, won't do it, shouldn't do it.
Kimitakari
You either have to memorise the whole difficulty map or being born with a talent to read high AR I guess. o!ctb with DT especially with AR9 is very hard to train overall.
Topic Starter
[MTF] Wolfette

Nelly wrote:

You either have to memorise the whole difficulty map or being born with a talent to read high AR I guess. o!ctb with DT especially with AR9 is very hard to train overall.
True

nice avatar btw
Alostis
Don't stop yourself from the "no reward system", base yourself on the amount of fun you get from this mod, it's fun and challenging. You don't have to do scores to have fun. Just reading or clearing an hard map with DT is satisfactory.