forum

[Archived] [x] Significantly lower input latency in McOsu than off. client

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Garbage Truck
Problem Details:

McOsu is an unofficial open-source practice client available on steam.
https://github.com/McKay42/McOsu

I used it in the past to learn alternating. I noticed when using it again today, that the input lag is significantly lower, going from ~4.2ms to ~0.6ms
That's a huge, huge difference. Obviously, it'll be different per system and input device, but I would like to figure out why this is (as a programmer), just can't find the relative code in either of the code bases at the minute.

It would be amazing if the osu!client can be changed to improve the input latency. I suspect that this will be difficult since the osu!client is written in c#, whereas McOsu is written in c++. But the difference in the latency seems too large to be caused by this simple programming language level leap.

I am using a wacom ctl490 tablet, with version V0.0.10 these drivers:
https://github.com/hawku/TabletDriver

I do get about ~0.9ms with my mouse in the official osu! client, the latency is reduced to ~0.6ms as well in McOsu.

Reported results from a system running Windows 10, an AMD Ryzen CPU and a GTX 1080 Ti

osu! version: Stable at the time of writing
McKay
The ms value does not mean "input lag" as such, it is simply your framerate/fps in milliseconds, i.e. how long the last frame took to process.
1666 fps = 1666 frames per 1 second = 1/1666 seconds per frame = 0.0006 seconds per frame = 0.6 ms per frame

Dico200 wrote:

I do get about ~0.9ms with my mouse in the official osu! client, the latency is reduced to ~0.6ms as well in McOsu.
This just means that you get lower fps in osu!. You can play around with the Detail Settings to get more performance.

Since the cursor position is only updated once per frame, having a high framerate (above 400 fps) is important.
However, this does not mean that it takes 0.6 ms for your mouse/tablet movement to reach the game, the two are simply not correlated.

Your CTL 490 tablet has a polling rate of 133 Hz (or 133pps, from the Wacom page), this means that your pen position is updated 133 times a second, meaning the tablet "runs" at 133 fps (or 7.5 ms).
So, your tablet has an inherent input lag of 7.5 ms (worst case; on average it's half of that, due to the discrete sampling at fixed time intervals etc.), which you can also see in the osu! options inside the Raw Input checkbox (if enabled).
- Zuramaru -
Furthermore, the stable client contains a lot more extra features and aesthetic details whereas McOsu only has the necessary barebones elements that are needed to recreate gameplay. This could also increase FPS.
Topic Starter
Garbage Truck
Thanks for the clear explanation McKay. Your name appears to match the author's name of McOsu :P
That cleared up a lot