forum

[Proposal] osu!-specific Guideline simplification

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Okoratu
Uhh.... Hi!

The UBKRC, actually the UBKRC that isn't advertised on this forum any longer but whatever, reevaluated the current set of general rules and guidelines to figure out which ones require very little "exhaustive" reasoning to be overruled and which ones can't really hurt to have and have to be argued against.

This move is intended to give people more liberty when starting out, because misinterpreting how to read the guidelines can actually misguide people.

If none of the changes make sense to you -> they were derived from writing down "possible exhaustive reasoning" that people would very likely accept as overruling arguments to the current criteria - "weaker" guidelines so to say.

In order to keep them relevant, removing them and putting them in a mapping guide that is to be written should be done instead.

Discuss!

Discussion closes on the 1st of April
ailv
yeh looks fine
Topic Starter
Okoratu
btw i forgot to mention that this proposal implements https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/topics/710129
UndeadCapulet

bleh wrote:

Sliderends of extended sliders are to be snapped according to the song's beat structure. If the song is using a straight beat, 1/4 or 1/8 or 1/16 are to be used. If the song is using a swing beat, 1/6 or 1/12 are to be used. If the song has a beat in a different position from what was recommended, snapping to an actual beat always takes priority.
this shouldn't be a rule, yes in most cases arbitrarily snapping to a different beatsnap would be unpleasant, but not always. many songs have a blend of 1/4 and 1/3 beat structure but this rule would most likely force 1/4based extended sliders exclusively, which would be wrong. there are also examples of maps that have additive rhythming of a different beatsnap like https://osu.ppy.sh/s/587541 that were well received, and this rule would conflict with that.
idk this is mostly just a needless restriction that would mostly get handled in modding anyway, seems weird it's trying to be turned into a rule when so many restrictive guidelines are being taken out

blheaf wrote:

Reverse arrows on sliders must not be completely visually obstructed by other hit objects with the default or beatmap-specific skin. Covering up reverse arrows on sliders can result in sliders being ambiguous to read.
this rule is really outdated, since almost everything in the current default skin is translucent, and it causes a lot of needless confusion. it's also just not true as there are plenty of easily readable covered arrows. the current wording even makes it clear this is a rule for a thing that "can" happen instead of something that "does" happen. should be moved to guidelines, or removed completely

asfd wrote:

You must not use sound samples for sliderslide, sliderwhistle, and spinnerspin which do not naturally loop. These hit sounds are continuous, meaning that their files play from start to end and loop as one continuous sound for the length of the object.
should be moved to guidelines, as long as it doesn't sound shitty there's nothing wrong with this. nonlooping slides have seen plenty of support in the past. they can be used to make cool drumroll effects or can function as an equivalent to hitsounded sliderticks

fdas wrote:

Every slider must have a clear and visible path to follow from start to end. Sliders which overlap themselves in a way that makes any section unreadable or ambiguous cannot be used, such as burai sliders and hold sliders without straightforward slider borders.
this rule needs rewording, as plenty of sliders with burai elements have had cases made for them that they aren't ambiguous and have been getting ranked. this could even be taken so far as to say alphabet sliderart isn't ambiguous atm.
tho tbh i think this also really should just be a guideline, its been made rather clear as time goes on that burai sliders aren't as unreadable as they're made out to be

lkkjl wrote:

Each map must use at least two different custom combo colours unless the default skin is forced. The combo colours must not blend with the map's background/storyboard/video in any case. This is so hit objects are always visible to the player and custom skin's combo colours do not blend with the background accidentally.
need some reasoning as to why 2 different colours are required, otherwise should just be lowered to a single one
actually it should just be lowered to a single one anyway bc there's literally nothing confusing about that except maaybe for lower diffs, in which case make it a diffspecific rule and not a general one
Noffy

The Proposal wrote:

Slider body colour and slider border colour together must not blend in with a beatmap's background or video. At that point, they make slider paths unclear or ambiguous to read. Just one of these settings blending in with the background or video of a map while the other one does not might be acceptable.
I think this needs to establish the standard settings when this would count due to background dim existing, like specifying that this is a rankable concern at 20% because it's the default dim setting, as a mapper using 100% dim while playing may not notice any blending that a 20% dim player would, and would say "it's not blending for me, what's the problem?".
or somesort

The Proposal wrote:

Do not use keysounds without hitnormal support. If sounds blend perfectly with the song, feedback for hitting notes is minimal.
Whether keysounds actually blend in or not depends on how it's executed. I'd think this would be better remaining as a guideline so that it would have the hitnormal support for cases where they do blend, but not forcing it on maps where the keysounding is still obviously layered on top of the song and providing proper feedback.
MaridiuS
"Every slider must have a clear and visible path to follow from start to end. Sliders which overlap themselves in a way that makes any section unreadable or ambiguous cannot be used, such as burai sliders and hold sliders without straightforward slider borders."

This rule may be confused with overlapping sliders, for example if a slider would to be perfectly overlapped by another slider its path wont be clear and visible. Recently I've seen someone misunderstand the rule.

Maybe do something like "Every slider's path must not obstruct itself to the point that it's unreadable or ambiguous. ..."
Topic Starter
Okoratu

Noffy wrote:

The Proposal wrote:

Slider body colour and slider border colour together must not blend in with a beatmap's background or video. At that point, they make slider paths unclear or ambiguous to read. Just one of these settings blending in with the background or video of a map while the other one does not might be acceptable.
I think this needs to establish the standard settings when this would count due to background dim existing, like specifying that this is a rankable concern at 20% because it's the default dim setting, as a mapper using 100% dim while playing may not notice any blending that a 20% dim player would, and would say "it's not blending for me, what's the problem?".
or somesort

fair enough, combocolours do that too so they should be doing the same

The Proposal wrote:

Do not use keysounds without hitnormal support. If sounds blend perfectly with the song, feedback for hitting notes is minimal.
Whether keysounds actually blend in or not depends on how it's executed. I'd think this would be better remaining as a guideline so that it would have the hitnormal support for cases where they do blend, but not forcing it on maps where the keysounding is still obviously layered on top of the song and providing proper feedback.
keysounding is defined as using smaples from the audio or extemely similar in the glossary, so if you're not doing that, this rule doesnt apply to you
Hollow Delta
"Slider body colour and slider border colour together must not blend in with a beatmap's background or video."

I think only the slider border must not blend in with the background, as that outline provides enough contrast from the object and the background. A lot of players use translucent skins, so the slider body is actually the background (if that makes any sense xp) but since for the default skin and most other skins the border is white, so that contrasts almost everything.

So I feel the rule should be reworded to "Slider body color and / or Slider border color must not blend in with the background...etc" and state within the criteria 'the body color doesn't have to contrast the background if the border color already does.'

I agree with UC on "Sliderends of extended sliders should be snapped according to the song's beat structure." should be a guideline, as this could break otherwise well-done maps with more complex rhythm structure (Basically same reason as UC xp)

My overall opinion on the changes, it's a little overwhelming to see most of the guidelines disappear, but it's a good change because it doesn't make mapping seem as two-dimensional as it used to be. I can't wait to see what new mappers create with these guidelines gone xp
MaridiuS

Bubblun wrote:

My overall opinion on the changes, it's a little overwhelming to see most of the guidelines disappear, but it's a good change because it doesn't make mapping seem as two-dimensional as it used to be. I can't wait to see what new mappers create with these guidelines gone xp

Lul nobody probably cared about those removed guidelines, they are just common sense.
iYiyo

UndeadCapulet wrote:

fdas wrote:

Every slider must have a clear and visible path to follow from start to end. Sliders which overlap themselves in a way that makes any section unreadable or ambiguous cannot be used, such as burai sliders and hold sliders without straightforward slider borders.
this rule needs rewording, as plenty of sliders with burai elements have had cases made for them that they aren't ambiguous and have been getting ranked. this could even be taken so far as to say alphabet sliderart isn't ambiguous atm.
tho tbh i think this also really should just be a guideline, its been made rather clear as time goes on that burai sliders aren't as unreadable as they're made out to be
Partially agree with UC. Sliders like: https://puu.sh/zKF4I/465eed0d3c.jpg are pretty much common nowadays due to slider leniency that allow the player to not fully follow the sliderbody, but still manages to fc it without any readability problem, which also supports for a lot of mapping variation/creativity.

However I think this rule shouldn't be removed, so burai slider (and others) remain unrankable and avoid abuse in the future. Maybe reword it? Can't get to some concrete idea right now but I think this should be discussed a bit more.
Hollow Delta

MaridiuS wrote:

Bubblun wrote:

Lul nobody probably cared about those removed guidelines, they are just common sense.
Yes and no xppp but we'll discuss this later boi
Topic Starter
Okoratu

Bubblun wrote:

"Slider body colour and slider border colour together must not blend in with a beatmap's background or video."

I think only the slider border must not blend in with the background, as that outline provides enough contrast from the object and the background. A lot of players use translucent skins, so the slider body is actually the background (if that makes any sense xp) but since for the default skin and most other skins the border is white, so that contrasts almost everything.

So I feel the rule should be reworded to "Slider body color and / or Slider border color must not blend in with the background...etc" and state within the criteria 'the body color doesn't have to contrast the background if the border color already does.'

I agree with UC on "Sliderends of extended sliders should be snapped according to the song's beat structure." should be a guideline, as this could break otherwise well-done maps with more complex rhythm structure (Basically same reason as UC xp)

btw, read it again, it's about both and only both of them blending in at the same time, see the part that says "Having one blend in while the other does not may be acceptable."
so the scenario you're describing is acceptable and would only apply if the borders of your sliders would be translucent too
Topic Starter
Okoratu

MaridiuS wrote:

"Every slider must have a clear and visible path to follow from start to end. Sliders which overlap themselves in a way that makes any section unreadable or ambiguous cannot be used, such as burai sliders and hold sliders without straightforward slider borders."

This rule may be confused with overlapping sliders, for example if a slider would to be perfectly overlapped by another slider its path wont be clear and visible. Recently I've seen someone misunderstand the rule.

Maybe do something like "Every slider's path must not obstruct itself to the point that it's unreadable or ambiguous. ..."
the crux of this seems to be the phrase "any section" in that rule - would rewording that help? also might help clarifying that it only refers to single sliders among the lines of "any of its sections unreadable (...)" so that overlapping sliders aren't even concerned?
MaridiuS

Okoratu wrote:

MaridiuS wrote:

the crux of this seems to be the phrase "any section" in that rule - would rewording that help? also might help clarifying that it only refers to single sliders among the lines of "any of its sections unreadable (...)" so that overlapping sliders aren't even concerned?
Yeah will work.
Xinnoh
Images should be on a level that can be displayed on all-audience TV, on public signage, and of nature that does not require censoring in any country.
seems a bit harsh to say any country

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch6qDoYzQdM
Noffy
Wait actually...

thing wrote:

Each map must use at least two different custom combo colours unless the default skin is forced. The combo colours must not blend with the map's background/storyboard/video in any case. This is so hit objects are always visible to the player and custom skin's combo colours do not blend with the background accidentally.

thing wrote:

Slider body colour and slider border colour together must not blend in with a beatmap's background or video. At that point, they make slider paths unclear or ambiguous to read. Having one blend in while the other does not may be acceptable.
I only read the delta last time now I'm confused why this rule is being added to the skinning section when nearly the exact same thing was already said in the General section
Topic Starter
Okoratu
same! will remove lol

also the thing sinnoh posted is a fair point but at the same time wtf are they on lol
would saying any westernized country work i mean i guess ppl already know what this meant so lo
Topic Starter
Okoratu

UndeadCapulet wrote:

bleh wrote:

Sliderends of extended sliders are to be snapped according to the song's beat structure. If the song is using a straight beat, 1/4 or 1/8 or 1/16 are to be used. If the song is using a swing beat, 1/6 or 1/12 are to be used. If the song has a beat in a different position from what was recommended, snapping to an actual beat always takes priority.
this shouldn't be a rule, yes in most cases arbitrarily snapping to a different beatsnap would be unpleasant, but not always. many songs have a blend of 1/4 and 1/3 beat structure but this rule would most likely force 1/4based extended sliders exclusively, which would be wrong. there are also examples of maps that have additive rhythming of a different beatsnap like https://osu.ppy.sh/s/587541 that were well received, and this rule would conflict with that.
idk this is mostly just a needless restriction that would mostly get handled in modding anyway, seems weird it's trying to be turned into a rule when so many restrictive guidelines are being taken out fair point, will have this remain a guideline then. That's where it seems to work best anyways

blheaf wrote:

Reverse arrows on sliders must not be completely visually obstructed by other hit objects with the default or beatmap-specific skin. Covering up reverse arrows on sliders can result in sliders being ambiguous to read.
this rule is really outdated, since almost everything in the current default skin is translucent, and it causes a lot of needless confusion. it's also just not true as there are plenty of easily readable covered arrows. the current wording even makes it clear this is a rule for a thing that "can" happen instead of something that "does" happen. should be moved to guidelines, or removed completely the current default skin isn't translucent. I agree that the wording is vague and leaves room to wiggle in, but there's a bunch of cases where this would never fly. As long as a slider gives people enough time to read that it is reversing it should be okay anyways

asfd wrote:

You must not use sound samples for sliderslide, sliderwhistle, and spinnerspin which do not naturally loop. These hit sounds are continuous, meaning that their files play from start to end and loop as one continuous sound for the length of the object.
should be moved to guidelines, as long as it doesn't sound shitty there's nothing wrong with this. nonlooping slides have seen plenty of support in the past. they can be used to make cool drumroll effects or can function as an equivalent to hitsounded sliderticks not the intended purpose of sliding hitsounds, i dont think this is misplaced

fdas wrote:

tho tbh i think this also really should just be a guideline, its been made rather clear as time goes on that burai sliders aren't as unreadable as they're made out to be then suggest rewording? thanks??? hello help, this was kept vague as to allowing people to apply their own reason (and because defining what sliders are lead to an infinitely sized set of possibilities

lkkjl wrote:

need some reasoning as to why 2 different colours are required, otherwise should just be lowered to a single one
actually it should just be lowered to a single one anyway bc there's literally nothing confusing about that except maaybe for lower diffs, in which case make it a diffspecific rule and not a general oneto differentiate between combos, that's what colors are intended for. please dont argue about this with pro player skins and people only using one color, that is not the intended purpose of combo colours (i'll just assume the design of the editor had a reason to pluralize this out of all tabsss)
Topic Starter
Okoratu

Noffy wrote:

The Proposal wrote:

or somesort
it would only blend with black if the colors are dark, actually it would only blend with anything if you're using dark colors with dim, which is handled separately already? (see the ruling about not using dark colors)

The Proposal wrote:

Whether keysounds actually blend in or not depends on how it's executed. I'd think this would be better remaining as a guideline so that it would have the hitnormal support for cases where they do blend, but not forcing it on maps where the keysounding is still obviously layered on top of the song and providing proper feedback.given the definition of keysound on this page, this wording makes sense - the things you're talking about would probably count as hitsounds anyways

Bubblun wrote:

I think only the slider border must not blend in with the background, as that outline provides enough contrast from the object and the background. A lot of players use translucent skins, so the slider body is actually the background (if that makes any sense xp) but since for the default skin and most other skins the border is white, so that contrasts almost everything. saying just sliderborder is more limited than only looking at both together, you do know that right?

I agree with UC on "Sliderends of extended sliders should be snapped according to the song's beat structure." should be a guideline, as this could break otherwise well-done maps with more complex rhythm structure (Basically same reason as UC xp) yea will change

Sinnoh wrote:

Images should be on a level that can be displayed on all-audience TV, on public signage, and of nature that does not require censoring in any country.
seems a bit harsh to say any country

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch6qDoYzQdM
idk which draft you're quoting but it's not this one

applied changes as stated to https://gist.github.com/Okorin/86e9ce5a ... 488eeefed4 ! reopening for further debate
UndeadCapulet
if "not the intended purpose" is valid reasoning for banning something then we better make kiai flashes illegal since those aren't intended, and while we're at it we better make any greenline spam at all illegal bc that wasn't the intended usage of timing sections at all either. don't hold back the meta just bc people are using things in a way that was not initially expected.

and i prob shouldn't be the one to suggest better wording for a rule that i dont think should be a rule ^^'

also i forgot to mention for covered reverses, there are plenty of known instances where they are completely readable. buzz sliders being stacked/overlapped are incredibly intuitive to play (as shown by the initial upload of rrtyui's Exit This Earth's Atomosphere). and tbh any reverse arrow becomes readable if its a repetition of a rhythm that occured previously in the map. you say there are instances where a covered reverse won't fly, i dont entirely disagree, but hard-banning them makes no sense, esp when we just made the much less fair perfectly overlapped sliderbodies rankable for similar reasons.
show more