forum

[Proposal] Songs Compilations

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
pkhg
Due to Compilations getting more common nowadays I think we should do something to regulate them. Right now there are no rules about what defines how a compilation should be done (refering to songs being included) in order to be suitable for the ranked section. Right now, I can basically take a bunch of random songs and make a compilation out of them and probably get it ranked. Therefore what im proposing is:

Songs included in a compilatiton must have a connection between them, be it the artist or source.
pishifat
curious about how that would apply to things like https://osu.ppy.sh/b/759433 and https://osu.ppy.sh/b/343741

like would the first be unrankable even though the source is widened to be general anime and would the second be unrankable because it's 3 unrelated artists?
Cloudchaser

pishifat wrote:

curious about how that would apply to things like https://osu.ppy.sh/b/759433 and https://osu.ppy.sh/b/343741

like would the first be unrankable even though the source is widened to be general anime and would the second be unrankable because it's 3 unrelated artists?
@pishifat: in that case, they have in common the genre "anime" (talking about anime compilation). In case of the yuikonnu I have no clue why those 3 artist in particular for a comp. It feels like the mapper wanted to map all at once instead of mapping separately
Rivals_7
"genre" or "language" should be more sensible rather than artists relation or same source because that would be really limiting the freedom of compilation imo

i'd probably agree if this is a guideline though :p
Izzywing
I mean realistically you can rank literally any song. Like, literally anything. As long as its timeable and mapped properly.

So arbitrary restrictions on something like a compilation seems pretty dumb to me.
Topic Starter
pkhg
@pishi: what cloudchaser said
@rivals_/: guidelines are easily avoidable u can justify anything nowadays. agree with expanding the limitations tho
@hobbes: theres also no reason to have a bunch of songs with no correlation between them put together in a compilation. we should draw a line somewhere.

also id like to put another example: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/724034
the thing that every song shares is a mapping style (for me its more of an skill like streaming or jumping tho). for me it wont be rankable cuz the purpose of a compilation relies more on the songs themselves rather than a mapping style, skillset, etc.
what do u guys think?
Nitrous
Restricting what songs should be in a compilation should be up to the creator. Although there should be a guideline on how the songs are spread out (i.e. low BPM transitioning smoothly to high BPM) since players tend to complain how sudden some sections become.
Monstrata
Source: Anime

better luck next time!!
Shohei Ohtani

Nitrous wrote:

Restricting what songs should be in a compilation should be up to the creator. Although there should be a guideline on how the songs are spread out (i.e. low BPM transitioning smoothly to high BPM) since players tend to complain how sudden some sections become.
Well that's more of a compositional thing that should be brought up during the creation of the actual compilation lmfao. Especially if it's a compilation produced by the mapper themself.

Also I'm not really sure if a rule like this needs to particularly exist, since there's not really anything that's wrong about shitty compilation maps. It's a medium for people to play a lot of songs at once in a convenient manner. If people want to play the full song, they can play the full song if it's mapped.

You can critique the reasoning behind it and you can be like "man that's fucking stupid" but I don't know if we're at the point where the RC needs to get involved
Ephemeral
What is gained by enforcing a rule like this exactly?

I'm not sure I see what the purpose is. The entire point of a compilation/mix is to contextually align tracks together in series instead of experiencing them solely individually.

That and the proposed rule is so broad in its definition of source that you could pass off the anime songs compilations as being fine due to the fact that they share a common source (aka: anime).
Kuron-kun
Can't really see how that will help with anything.

Ranking a marathon with songs that don't really have any connection between them isn't a problem and why should it be? I mean, I get that making a marathon where you have Igorrr and Hanatan in the same compilation might sound weird but that wouldn't affect the map's quality in any way as long as the mapper is experienced enough to know what he's doing.

But if you want to set that as a guideline, I have nothing against it.
CXu
I'd like a title that tells me why potentially arbitrary songs are strung together. A theme, if you will, be it something related to the song's genre, game mechanics or whatever else.

Right now I could take all my 1 diff graveyard and unsubmitted maps, make a random compilation with completely unrelated songs and call it a day.

I might be misremembering because this was like a billion years ago and probably no longer even planned, but weren't a "non-stop" mode or something similar, where you could create a playlist of maps planned at some point to be implemented? I'd rather have something like that, where people can create such playlists of "abcde's favorite maps!", and have the actually ranked compilations follow some kind of theme.
Shohei Ohtani

CXu wrote:

I'd like a title that tells me why potentially arbitrary songs are strung together. A theme, if you will, be it something related to the song's genre, game mechanics or whatever else.

Right now I could take all my 1 diff graveyard and unsubmitted maps, make a random compilation with completely unrelated songs and call it a day.
"CXu's graved maps compilation" like lmao it's not that hard.

Definitely something I've thought about doing before lmao
Cloudchaser

CXu wrote:

I might be misremembering because this was like a billion years ago and probably no longer even planned, but weren't a "non-stop" mode or something similar, where you could create a playlist of maps planned at some point to be implemented? I'd rather have something like that, where people can create such playlists of "abcde's favorite maps!", and have the actually ranked compilations follow some kind of theme.
it would be the best solution imo
CXu

CDFA wrote:

CXu wrote:

"CXu's graved maps compilation" like lmao it's not that hard.

Definitely something I've thought about doing before lmao
Well yes, and that would be a better title than "Various Artists - Songs Compilation".
Kurokami
This topic came up in QAT a day or two ago and as we agreed, even if the compilation ends up badly, there is no way we can make a rule out of it.

The term itself allows various songs to be put together and be ranked. This is a very subjective issue and to be honest, there is no good solution to it in my opinion.

Even if we make a guideline for these, the result will be the same as they are must be followed unless you have a *good* reason to not. And honestly, "I compiled my favourite songs, please let me be" is a very strong argument in this case.

But well, discussing it shouldn't hurt as we all agree it shouldn't really happen.
pishifat
not sure where to go with this since the proposed rule would be loose enough to work around under all circumstances

if nobody can come up with a decent way to handle this in the rc, gonna archive the thread since discussion seems to have stopped
Topic Starter
pkhg
i think u can just archive this since the proposed thing on discord seems to work for the concern i raised here and my wording sucks
CXu
My stance on this is that the artist/title should at the very least describe what/why the songs chosen were chosen in the first place, be it a pp compilation, x player's favorite maps, y artist's best songs between 2006-2009 or whatever it is, just not "various artists - songs compilation", because if more people make them, you'll just end up with a billion vastly different song compilations with the exact same name, with no way to differentiate them.

I guess it's more a metadata-related proposal rather than being concerned about the contents of the compilation itself.
Topic Starter
pkhg
i guess ill rewrite the proposal later as well as changing the direction from the rule to how the compilations must be labeled instead of limitations for the song choices
i almost forgot about that point cxu thanks xd
show more