forum

Singletap vs. Full Alternate Questions

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
gman
I'm a singletap player with approximately 9 months of experience in Taiko, who's using the KDDK layout. I'm having trouble doing quite a bit of patterns in streams, especially when it comes to 1/3 & 1/6 patterns, and have been thinking that it may be because of my playstyle. So my questions are:

1. Would changing my playstyle to full alternate help me with doing patterns properly?
  2. How long would it take me to get to my current skill level using the other playstyle? Is it worth the effort?
  3. If I were to change it, would I be able to go back to my previous one if I don't get used to it?
  4. If changing my playstyle doesn't benefit me when it comes to patterns, then how should I go about learning them with my current one?
Thanks in advance to everyone that helps! :D
Raphalge
The hard part about learning 1/3 or 1/6 patterns as a KDDK singletapper is that it often means you have to "switch hands". If a 1/6 dddk showed up in the middle of a stream you'd have to play the rest of it as though you'd started with your non-dominant hand. I see no need to completely change playstyles, but messing around with full alting might help teach you the basics of handswitching. Don't go back to Kantans or anything though, cause that won't help at all.
Topic Starter
gman

Raphalge wrote:

The hard part about learning 1/3 or 1/6 patterns as a KDDK singletapper is that it often means you have to "switch hands". If a 1/6 dddk showed up in the middle of a stream you'd have to play the rest of it as though you'd started with your non-dominant hand. I see no need to completely change playstyles, but messing around with full alting might help teach you the basics of handswitching. Don't go back to Kantans or anything though, cause that won't help at all.

My offhand is pretty weak when it comes to hand-switching, it sometimes gets confused on even the simplest of patterns. I could try learning the basic patterns with full alternating I guess. Thanks for the reply! :)
Player-
Try playing this map with alt on the Oni difficulty. You don't need to full alt it, but alt the singletap 1/4
Topic Starter
gman

Player- wrote:

Try playing this map with alt on the Oni difficulty. You don't need to full alt it, but alt the singletap 1/4
Thanks! I'll try it once I get home. :)