forum

How do I get a lower UR?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
OldEclipse
Hello fellow osu enthusiasts

I just got my first UR below 100, and I was pretty proud of it, but then I looked at the UR of top players and alot of their top scores are with an UR of below 100. How are they able to consistantly get below 100 UR? Is it just a matter of playing more, or are there some tricks that could help? Does having a good keyboard affect UR alot?

Thanks for reading :D
Endaris
Try to get better at accuracy.
UR is a statistical value that measures your consistency in tapping so trying to improve your accuracy and succeeding at it will naturally cause you to get better UR.
Xalesin
Work on accuracy with hit error panel. Offset simetimes may help to increase your overall acc and UR
But i think you already know how its work.
Endaris
Offset does not change UR at all as UR only measures the standard deviation around your average hit error (meaning it doesn't matter where that hit error is located and that is the only thing it influences).
Xalesin

Endaris wrote:

Offset does not change UR at all as UR only measures the standard deviation around your average hit error (meaning it doesn't matter where that hit error is located and that is the only thing it influences).
I'm not quite correctly put it. I meant that correct offset sometimes changes the sense of rhythm (personally for me, especially at low bpm), which will affect UR
Endaris
Assuming that the offset is incorrect in the first place this could be right. It usually isn't though.
Offset should never be used to counteract bad acc and the habit of hitting early (which just happens to intensify on slow maps).
Xalesin

Endaris wrote:

Assuming that the offset is incorrect in the first place this could be right. It usually isn't though.
Offset should never be used to counteract bad acc and the habit of hitting early (which just happens to intensify on slow maps).
Different offset is not that rare thing on DT or/and high AR. It is also sometimes used to compensate input delay (as in my case, with 6.8 input delay. So i have to use ~+10 offset to fix it for HD)
But the conversation went off from main topic, so let's stop here. Offset is a personal preference, nothing more.
E m i
what to do:

press the keys with the same speed and force every time

why:

there are three stages to pressing a key
first you touch the key
(stage 1, you can feel it)
then you reach the actuation point
(stage 2, you can't feel it)
then you bottom out
(stage 3, you can feel it)
you can feel two out of three of those stages, but not the one that's actually responsible for creating input in the game?

unless you're using blues i guess.
if you press the key twice as fast, stage 2 will take half as long after stage 1 to happen. so if you press the keys consistently the relation between stage 2 and the surrounding stages will be consistent and you can use the feeling of bottoming the key out for example to sync.

Endaris wrote:

Offset will shift the hitsounds from passive objects like sliderends etc

that can affect your next hit. offset affects UR a tiny tiny bit
Endaris

Momi wrote:

Endaris wrote:

This is based on the assumption that the offset is either wrong (rare) or that you're not hitting accurately in the first place (likely scenario).
E m i

Endaris wrote:

Momi wrote:

This is based on the assumption that the offset is either wrong (rare) or that you're not hitting accurately in the first place (likely scenario).
Well, no not at all because if the offset is perfect then changing it will make it wrong and thus make your UR worse (by an amount which is pretty much definitely smaller than regular inconsistency and would thus only be detectable if you created two separate universes where offset is the only difference)
kai99
i consistently get something around 110-120 UR and i only recently got my first under 100 UR. i think it just slowly decreases over time tbh, as you'll eventually have to tap better as OD decreases.
Akanagi

kai99 wrote:

i consistently get something around 110-120 UR and i only recently got my first under 100 UR. i think it just slowly decreases over time tbh, as you'll eventually have to tap better as OD decreases.

That's how it works.
As you go up in OD, you'll naturally develop lower UR because you can't hit that far apart anymore, but also the better reading and overall experience will contribute to lowering your UR, too.

I used to get consistent 140UR on average maps, a few months later I'm down to 110-119UR consistently.
Edgar_Figaro
Also one thing to note, if you play a map with DT or HT the UR is also amplified as it goes based on how consistently you hit around the same +/- ms during the map. The thing with DT and HT is lets say you normally play with +/- 10ms. Well if you play the map with DT you still hit that same +/- 10ms but the game reads it based on the maps timing and so it'll say you were +/- 15ms. HT does the exact opposite affect making you seem more accurate than you actually are.
zeplic
To quote rohulk , offset adjustments helps with perceived rhythm. Its very noticeable on HR, but id be very skeptical about making any adjustments, and definitely don't think too hard about it while youre playing.
Full Tablet
Changing the offset might have a small effect on the UR you get on the map. The bigger the change, the higher the effect, since it changes the feedback you get; small changes, like 5ms, do not really change audio feedback (because of the buffer system the sound engine the game uses), and thus any perceived difference in the audial feedback is just placebo.

You need to have a low UR in the first place to know precisely how to change the offset, in order to maximize the accuracy percentage you get on the map.

For example, if you get an UR of around ~90 (9ms of standard deviation), and average early/late hit errors of -5ms/10ms, you can be confident you would get better accuracy on the map if you changed the local offset in the map by around (-5ms+10ms) * 1.4 ~= 7ms; but if the UR is way higher than that, with the same difference between early and late average offsets, then the difference would likely mostly be caused by random variation from the imprecise hits rather than an offset that is really wrong and should be changed.

Most songs in the game have a constant BPM with no metronome resets. For improving accuracy on those maps, indirectly improving your UR, playing by an internal metronome that is undisturbed by changes in the music or notes (as long as they aren't changes in tempo or metronome resets, not present in most maps), instead of having to rely on constant feedback from the audio or the graphics (that feedback would be used in order to notify you when you went astray, but if you are aiming to get good accuracy, you shouldn't go astray at all and thus you don't need to pay attention to them), helps; that internal metronome is calibrated by paying attention to the music before you start pressing buttons (this is a reason it is harder to sightread maps that begin at the same time as the first instruments in the music with high accuracy is harder). In music with more complex rhythm, using the music to sense when to adjust your internal metronome is more important (unless you develop a very accurate visual reading, in which case you can use the timing on when the notes appear on the screen to precisely adjust your internal metronome).

Also, pressing the buttons firmly (but without straining your hands, making them tired) makes your inputs more consistent.
E m i
I recommend also taking into account if your hits were from your real attempts to click at the correct time and just normal variation, or if there were some situations along the lines of:
1. underaiming a stream momentarily and thus discarding one keypress, making the subsequent ones correlate to an earlier circle (they will be 1 note late in that case)
2. your finger slipping, pressing at a time that you would never possibly intend to press
3. you misreading, pressing at a time that you would never possibly intend to press
4. stamina/speed/finger control problems

any external issues will pretty much lower the quality of your UR even if it's relatively low

if you see some "top players" add local offset just because they tap late from the ar being too high/map being too fast for them, they're being dumb, simple