forum

Useful tips

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Stickman92
Some stuff i found on the internet
http://o2jamtips.blogspot.com.au/p/blog-page_20.html my favorite. Its o2jam guide but applies to all vsrg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2Vp4QIA43w and this is another

tbh, there's not much guides at all for vsrg

Did you know??? Your eyes twitch up and down a little constantly at higher scroll speeds, record ur face and see for yourself.
abraker

No I cannot because I don't have a 240hz screen. At high SV, notes start to double and the only way to fix that is to track them as they go down. I also need high SV for accurate timing and to reduce delay when the note disappears in my HD skin. And I need HD skin to force my self to hit when I need to hit and it also happens to fix visual latency.

Tho the interesting part about this, is that I did experimentation by forcing FL to be on top of screen (small visible area on top), and using the regular scroll speed I usually play on (33 @ 84 column width), and I read notes no problem. The notes would flash about one frame (16 ms) and I would hit them ~300 ms later. All is fine and good until it gets dense enough that the notes start to double on top of another in that small slit.

idk who will try to do that unless you have a huge screen taking 120 deg of your FOV

In a nutshell, yes. To elaborate, thinking will cause you to decide to do finger movements going against their momentum. This will cause strain, and over time will cause stamina depletion.

In a nutshell, yes. To be more specific, you can bring finger as up as much as you want, whatever it takes to hit fast, but hitting hard causes you to keep your finger down on the keyboard for longer. Tap fast, light, and minimize contact. Sometimes wrist movement can be sufficient enough to use gravity to push down the keytops. Then you feel the force of the keytops pushing your finger back up. Go with the flow, and not against.

Yea ok, when SV comes and you can't sightread, tell me how that goes

Yes. I actually try to play a song once every month to 6 months, giving enough time to see actual progress. Variety allows to keep your skills spread out wide.
ReTLoM
i agree with the eye position of the guide i never follow notes like abraker ... my main focus is ~~in the middle of the play field like the COMBO of the picture! In case of the Ghostnotes on your screen sure there are double notes but i still hit them right i think it is depending on how you actually read Vertical/Horizontal. abraker is maybe one of the more Horizontal reading type!
O2jam/Canmu players tend to Read Vertical BMS/4k players read mostly Horizontal

Example:
Vertical Mostly Higher Scrollspeed and building continues patterns in brain + Fixed eye position but a lot of different reading approaches
X|_|X|_|X|_|_
_|X|_|X|_|X|_
_|_|X|_|X|_|X
_|X|_|X|_|X|_
_|_|X|_|X|_|X
_|X|_|X|_|X|_
X|_|X|_|X|_|_
X|_|X|_|X|_|_
_|X|_|X|_|X|_
_|_|X|_|X|_|X
_|X|_|X|_|X|_
_|_|X|_|X|_|X
_|X|_|X|_|X|_
X|_|X|_|X|_|_
X|_|X|_|X|_|_
_|X|_|X|_|X|_
_|_|X|_|X|_|X
_|X|_|X|_|X|_
_|_|X|_|X|_|X
_|X|_|X|_|X|_
X|_|X|_|X|_|_

Horizontal Most of the time slower Scrollspeed and following the "chord" with eyes
X|_|X|_|X|_|_
_|X|_|X|_|X|_
_|_|X|_|X|_|X
_|X|_|X|_|X|_
_|_|X|_|X|_|X
_|X|_|X|_|X|_
X|_|X|_|X|_|_
Topic Starter
Stickman92
This forum called useful tips so i guess, just say useful tips
I like to play songs twice before new song. First time u sight read it, 2nd time ur familiar.

1. If a song is so difficult i'm literally just spamming, i just slap on HT.
2. If there a song i want to improve at. I just play it twice a day. With or without RD. Sometimes HT.

3. When i play osu, i just Scale with scroll speed with BPM. If song 160bpm, and scroll spd is 15. Then for HT i keep it at 15 and so note density the same but notes go down slower. Makes the same song a different type of challenging but that depends on the song. (i just o2mania now, easier to songs my level)

4. For LN's. I use more finger den wrist.

If u decide to o2mania. then just change judge time from normal to hard (imo normal too lenient). Like what Drace guide said. Play with restrictions till ur as good as without. After u judge time hard long enough judge time normal feels like cheating. or is that just me?
abraker

ReTLoM wrote:

abraker is maybe one of the more Horizontal reading type!
I can confirm that I am very horizontal
-Squishy
I used to have this problem and still do a bit of focusing my eyes on a particular note as it falls. What I did was use a visual on the side of the stage to focus on. Trying to see both sides at the same time helped me especially during denser maps because I would always try to play catchup and the only way I could was by looking lower when I should have just kept my eyes where it's optimal for me.
Bobbias
Playing FL cures that problem too squishy. Actually I had the same issue before too. In my case I played with hidden (I was playing o2jam at the time so hidden didnt move) and that made a huge difference.
Chez
That's actually a pretty interesting idea by Squishy. I never thought about using a visual aid on the stage sides to help keep focus. I actually have the problem of following notes as they fall too sometimes. I even resorted to trying to callibrate this by making sure I can see the camera on top of my monitor or even focusing on it. I have problems looking at the combo like most people because there's a few frames when I can't see the note and that messes me up.
Topic Starter
Stickman92
Press lightly, not hard
LN 1/4 streams are same as normal 1/4 streams, just harder to read.
If u want to play songs around ur level, o2jam is good (if u include normal and long notes)