forum

A small SV tool box

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Vladimir Puchin
Initially I have been using MS Excel to create SVs. But the process became too repetitive and boring. So I had some days off during the New Year and for some god-knows-why reasons, I decided it's a good idea to create an SV tool box.

Coded fully in JS, no download required, you just need to plug in the stuff and get your delicious SVs. The more advanced features might require some JS knowledge to use. Explanation, instruction, and examples are already included in the page.

Credits to zardoru (I don't know if they're a user on the forum as I found nothing when I searched their name). This tool box was heavily modeled after their tools. Also credits to various mappers who have produced art-like SV maps as I couldn't have understood how SVs worked without dissecting a lot of SV maps.

Please pardon any awkward or unintelligible English as I'm not a native English speaker and have trouble creating long text.

=========================================
Link to the tool box: https://kokonguyen191.github.io/OsuSVTools/

Any questions, bug reports, feature requests, spam, etc... please post here.
Bobbias
zardoru = Agka = Agkaemon, creaator of the rhythm game Raindrop, and the guy who converted and uploaded the original Blue Army map.
Evening
While it does look useful, it doesn't seem too user friendly on how it presents itself

Don't get me wrong, it looks useful, but making it clean and easy to understand is part of what makes a program useful to the general user

It's similar to a machinery without all of its wires poking out; It works, but we don't really need to see them unless we really need to know how it works

Try to simplify everything:

Remove unnecessary details that the user doesn't need to know at first glance
- Especially all of the formulae, and calculation. Keep it to a wiki or at least shift it somewhere else
- Replace all details with simpler and more "osu!mania"-related words, this makes it easier to understand, as an osu!mania mapper

Preface
- I really don't think a Preface is required, similarly, keep it to a wiki for future reference

Offsets Input
- Really way too much detail on how it works and how it can work, try to cater to the user instead of having the user cater to your program
- Cut down on paragraphs and use diagrams/phrases to describe how it works, it's easier to digest the information

I've done coding for extractions similar to this so I can recommend you that the xx:xx:xxx(xxx|x, xxx|x, ...) - format for offset input is the easiest for osu!mania mappers, so just leave out all other formats and keep this:

A list of notes, either copied from beatmaps in x,x,x,x,x,x format or from osu! in 00:50:000 (x|x,x|x,x|x,...) format (easiest to do). Notes that have the same offset will be automatically detected so you can copy a chord but the script would still use only one offset. Example. Also you can choose whether to count end points of LNs or not. Note that this option is only available for x,x,x,x,x,x format. Example 2.

Even then you can still simplify it.

Input in this format xx:xx:xxx(xxx|x, xxx|x, ...) -

Is simple enough

Stutter
- Way too much detail, move most details to the wiki
- It's quite counterproductive when you are making something to simplify the process and making it complex again. Replace Va, Ta, ... with easy to understand words. Ta can be replaced with Initial Offset, Va can be replaced with Initial Speed/SV/BPM/....

--

I'm sure there's immense amount of effort put into creating this, but I don't see myself using the tool too much because of complexity

--

Edit: Just want to add that those comments are also aimed at other functions, especially the advanced ones in which i have no idea what's going on
It's good to have the quick toolbar but it doesn't really present anything better than Agka's current tool
Topic Starter
Vladimir Puchin

Evening wrote:

-snip-
Thanks for the feedback. I'll try to make it more simple.