forum

how do i put hitsounds to my hitcircles?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Mattdew
hi, i'm kind of a new mapper who needs help with probably very simple things
read the title
i have no idea how to put hitsounds on my hitcircles or whatever you call them
i've tried looking up the stuff in youtube, but pretty much almost everything they talk about is the hit, whistle, finish, clap thingy and how to add custom hitsounds
either i have dyslexia or this makes no sense
thanks for the time given to read this post, and i appreciate any help given, too
Endaris
All your circles already have a hitsound, the so called "hitnormal".
To make the audial experience of playing the map more plastic and fitting to the song, mappers use these additional hitsounds.
I will go through it in the smallest steps I can think of to make sure you're not missing anything.

In order to add additional hitsound to your notes:
Step 1

This is optional but if you don't use the default skin for editing you may get confused by your skinhitsounds

Step 2

In order to hear the hitsounds, the effect volume should be at least as high as the music volume. For this small walkthrough I recommend turning the music volume off completely so you can hear the hitsounds without doubt.

Step 3

In order to hear the hitsounds make sure the volume of your timing sections is set to a reasonably high value. Put 100% if unsure and reduce it again later.

Step 4

Select a hitcircle

Step 5

Click on the "Whistle" button while still having the hitcircle selected.
The button will turn intransparent, indicating that the hitsound is active now.

Final Steps
Scroll the timeline to a position in front of the hitcircle in question.
Hit space and listen up. You can add none or multiple of these three additional hitsounds to any note.

I can also heavily recommend you to check out the "(1) Timing & Advance" of this mapset in the editor.
The nice thing is that you can always check right in the editor how the examples were done and even experiment yourself within it.