forum

[Guide] Fixing Mac issues

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Technocoder
[Note: I have created a Wineskin package that fixes many of the issues listed here. You can find it here: https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/topics/682197]
[Note: I have created a troubleshooting tool that automatically fixes some of these issues. You can find it here: https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/topics/1036678]

Over the course of playing osu! on OSX I've experienced multiple issues and found ways to fix them.
This is assuming you are using the Wineskin wrapper to run osu! on OSX.

Miscellaneous Information

Wineskin can be found right clicking the osu! icon and clicking "Show package contents".
osu! folder can be found by going to Show package contents > drive_c > osu!

Before you do anything

I highly recommend you back up the entire osu! folder. Some of these steps initially made my game crash or stuck in an update loop. In the event that happens you may have to start from scratch and redownload the Wineskin wrapper from the OSX osu! tumblr (found here: http://osuosx.tumblr.com)

Before you fix anything

If you haven't already, start by updating the Wineskin wrapper. The wrapper is rather outdated and probably won't fix anything but it can't really hurt. To update the wrapper:
Steps
  1. Open (double click) on Wineskin
  2. Click "Advanced"
  3. Click "Tools" (next to Configuration and Options)
  4. Click "Update Wrapper" (in the right column)
The wrapper version (shown near the bottom of the window above "Install Software") should now be 2.6.2 or higher. Don't close the Wineskin window yet; we'll use it later.

Next you'll need to update the Wine engine. I highly recommend you do this regardless of whether you are facing issues or not. The engine included with the osu! Wineskin is incredibly outdated (In software development, 2 - 3 years is a very long time). The engine is essentially what runs osu! so this is one of the more volatile steps. Updating the engine provided me with a significant performance boost, fixed many of the issues I was having previously, and it allowed my game to run under OSX driver mode (more on that later).

To update the engine we'll need a way to download engines. Download Wineskin Winery: http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-index.php?page=Downloads
Now open Wineskin Winery and follow these steps:
Steps
  1. Click the refresh button below the list of "Installed Engines"
  2. Click the plus button below the list of "Installed Engines"
  3. The "Add Engine" window should now appear. The default selected option should be the latest engine available. At the time of writing WS9Wine2.22 is the latest
  4. Click "Download and Install"
  5. Click "OK"
Now that the latest engine is installed we'll need to change the engine used in the Wineskin wrapper. Go back to Wineskin and follow these steps:
Steps
  1. Click "Change Engine Used"
  2. The default selected option should be the engine you just installed
  3. Click OK to change the engine
Now you can go onto the other steps!

Help! My game won't open and/or opens this program called XQuartz!

You must update the wine engine for this to work properly.
For some reason WineskinX11 (the XQuartz included with Wineskin) won't start osu! properly. You'll notice this if you get an error "Invalid Drawable" in the logs. The way that this has been fixed is to install XQuartz on your system and use this XQuartz instead of the default. I have a better alternative:
Steps
  1. Click "Set Screen Options" (Under the "Tools" tab in Wineskin)
  2. Click "Use Mac Driver instead of X11"
  3. Click "Done"
  4. Click "Options" (near the top of the Wineskin window next to "Tools")
  5. Uncheck "Force use of system installed XQuartz instead of using built in WineskinX11"
Now if you start osu! you will hopefully notice less input lag and frame drops. At least that's what happened for me. Additionally, you won't need to wait for XQuartz to start up anymore.

Reverting to an older Wine version

See Before you do anything on downloading Wineskin Winery. When clicking “Add Engine” be sure to select the Wine version that you wish to install. Then click “Download and Install”.

After that follow the rest of the steps in Before you do anything but when clicking “Change Engine Used” select the engine that you wish to use.

Help! My game won't start after updating to High Sierra!

High Sierra interferes with a few of Wineskin's startup processes. Here's how to fix it:
Steps
  1. Click "Set Screen Options" (Under the "Tools" tab in Wineskin)
  2. Uncheck "Auto Detect GPU Info for Direct3D"
  3. Uncheck "Use Direct3D Boost (if available)"
  4. Click "Done"

osu! runs really slow and/or the Song Setup window does not show

If your computer is rather old or you're running macOS Mojave you may experience problems with various elements of the Wineskin including performance or UI elements. In this case, you may wish to reenable XQuartz as the graphical engine for the Wineskin. Follow the steps for Help! My game won't open and/or opens this program called XQuartz! but in reverse. Consider this as a last resort if nothing else works. You will also need to download and install XQuartz (https://www.xquartz.org).

osu! or Wineskin will not open!

Sometimes, the quarantine attribute will still be stuck on the Wineskin wrapper. The quarantine attribute will prevent osu! from writing files and performing all the actions that it needs to. Here is how to disable the quarantine attribute.
Steps
  1. Move the osu! application to the Desktop
  2. Open the Terminal application
  3. Type in cd Desktop and press enter
  4. Type in sudo xattr -dr com.apple.quarantine 'osu!.app' (osu!.app must be in single quotes) and press enter
  5. Type in your password. The password you type will not show up on screen but it will be registered. Press enter after you are done.
  6. Try running osu!
Thanks to Bedrock for the command

Help! osu! is stuck loading a beatmap!

For unknown reasons, osu! on OSX does not handle large image files. Delete the background image of the beatmap (or rename it) to fix this.
Notable beatmaps that have this issue
  1. 568455 fhana - Outside of Melancholy ~Yuuutsu no Mukougawa~
  2. 707380 ClariS - SHIORI vs Hitorigoto [no video]

A beatmap just won't import!

Make sure the .osz file doesn't have any strange characters in the filename. Rename the .osz file and remove any non alphanumeric characters (dashes should be fine).

Example:
Before: 153776 yuikonnu & ayaponzu* - Super Nuko World.osz
After: 153776 yuikonnu ayaponzu - Super Nuko World.osz

The updater keeps downloading discord-rpc.dll!

Unfortunately I don't know why this happens but it's a simple fix:
Steps
  1. Download a copy of the working discord-rpc.dll here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1x17jM9fnbyfbGM9vY6H54UXWECSILwlY/view?usp=sharing
  2. Move the file into your osu! folder

See the section: Discord Rich Presence doesn't work!

osu! crashes after a key is pressed!

Keyboard layouts other than the default US layout may not work with osu!. This is especially true for keyboard layouts that produce a character other than those part of the ASCII format, such as Japanese, Chinese or Korean. Set your keyboard layout to the US layout to fix this.

There isn't a menu bar in edit mode!

The menu bar is still there, just that it's completely black. You'll notice a strip of black on top of "compose design timing song setup". Click on that strip and then the menus will display.

Oh no! I'm stuck in an update loop and/or I'm crashing on startup!

Unfortunately for you, there aren't a concrete set of steps to resolve this. However, there are several things you can try but at worst you'll have to reinstall the Wineskin package.
If you haven't already make sure to do a data backup. The steps to do this are listed under How to do a data backup
discord-rpc.dll keeps downloading
See The updater keeps downloading discord-rpc.dll!
Restore a backup
If this problem occurred after following one of the steps in this entire guide then you can restore to a working state by pasting the contents of your backup (which you should have made before starting this guide!) into the osu! folder.
Update your wine engine
Newer versions of wine have several bug fixes and features that may make osu! work properly again. If have not already done so follow the steps in Before you fix anything
Check your release stream
Newer release streams may not be able to be run on Wine. You may have gotten a newer release stream if you clicked "Force Update" in your osu! options. This can also happen for other reasons. Here's how to revert your release stream:
  1. Open osu!.cfg in the osu! folder with a text editor
  2. On the first line after "_ReleaseStream = " change the value to "Stable40"
  3. The line should now read: "_ReleaseStream = Stable40"
  4. Save the file and exit
  5. Now delete all files ending in a .dll extension
Reinstalling the Wineskin package
You must do a data backup before doing this option.
If all else fails you'll have to start from scratch:
  1. Delete the entire osu! application (Make sure you have done a data backup)
  2. Download the latest wrapper from http://osuosx.tumblr.com
  3. Follow the steps for Before you fix anything before running osu!
  4. Copy the entirety of your data backup into the osu! folder
  5. (If you are running High Sierra) See Help! My game won't start after updating to High Sierra!

How to do a data backup

This backup saves all of your osu! data such as scores, replays and songs. You may want to do this if you are crashing on startup or stuck in an update loop.
Steps
  1. Create a folder to store all the copied osu! data
  2. Open your osu! folder
  3. Select all files (CMD + A) and then copy them over to your folder
  4. In your new folder delete all .dll files
  5. Delete osu!.exe
  6. Delete osu!.cfg
  7. Check that you have folders: Data, Downloads, Logs, Screenshots (if you took one), Skins, Songs
  8. Check you have files: collection.db, osu!.db, osu!.(name).cfg, presence.db, scores.db

How to restore a data backup

Steps
  1. Make sure osu! is closed
  2. Select all the files (CMD + A) in your data backup folder
  3. Copy the selection (CMD + C)
  4. Paste the files (CMD + V) directly into your osu! folder
If you are experiencing issues you may wish to delete osu!.(name).cfg as well. (Note: This will reset your in game settings and you will be required to login again)

Updating the osu! executable

At times, the executable provided in a wrapper may be outdated and won’t update for some reason. In this case, you’ll need to update the executable manually:
Steps
  1. Make sure osu! is closed
  2. Download the latest osu!install.exe from https://osu.ppy.sh/p/download
  3. Rename the osu!install.exe to osu!.exe
  4. Open the osu! folder
  5. Copy osu!.exe into the folder, replacing the existing osu!.exe

Help! I'm running a dual monitor setup and osu! blacks out my other screen!

This will only work if you have enabled "Use Mac Driver".
This is due to Wine using a function similar to a "Game Mode" but has the side effect of blacking out everything except the game. For the technical folk out there you can read up on it here: https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/GraphicsImaging/Conceptual/QuartzDisplayServicesConceptual/Articles/DisplayCapture.html
Here's how to fix it:
Steps
  1. Click "Registry Editor" (Under the "Tools" tab in Wineskin in the left column)
  2. Go to this registry folder: HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Wine > Mac Driver
  3. Double click on "CaptureDisplaysForFullscreen"
  4. Change "Y" to "n" in the text box
  5. Click "OK"
  6. Close the "Registry Editor" window

Help! Clicking on a different window automatically minimises osu!

Admittedly I have no idea why it does this but there is a simple fix:
Steps
  1. Open your osu! options (In the actual game)
  2. Scroll to "Graphics" options
  3. Uncheck "Fullscreen mode" (Under the subheading "Layout")

There's noticeable audio latency

This is especially prevalent if you have programs like Boom or Boom2 installed. Boom post processes your audio which increases the quality but also increases the audio latency. You can fix this without quitting Boom.
Steps
  1. Click "Config Utility" (in the left column under the "Tools" tab in Wineskin)
  2. Click on the "Audio" tab
  3. Change "Output Device" to your headset/headphones or speaker.
  4. Click "Apply" and then "Ok"
Now audio will be routed directly to your audio device instead of through Boom.

Discord Rich Presence doesn't work!

See the section Discord Rich Presence under my Wineskin thread: community/forums/topics/1106057.

Communication between processes is different in different operating systems. Discord on macOS expects to receive information from a macOS game. Discord on osu! expects to send information to a Discord on a Windows machine. You'll need to replace the discord-rpc.dll file to allow communication properly (Thanks to slc for pointing out this alternative file):
Steps
  1. Download xnu-discord-rpc.dll from this guy here: https://github.com/goeo-/discord-rpc/releases (If you have a Github account consider starring the fork)
  2. Navigate to the osu! folder (Right click osu! > Show Package Contents > drive_c > osu!)
  3. Delete the existing discord-rpc.dll file
  4. Drag the xnu-discord-rpc.dll file into it and rename it to discord-rpc.dll

The game lags when I select a Beatmap and I can't change Visual Settings at the bottom

Follow the steps for Help! My game won't open and/or opens this program called XQuartz!

The mouse cursor is showing on top of the osu! cursor

Follow the steps for Help! I'm running a dual monitor setup and osu! blacks out my other screen!.
If that doesn't work press F9 (to show osu! users) and then press ESC.

Random Author Notes

The above troubleshooting steps were found after I was pissed significantly miffed that I couldn't read a mapping tutorial on my second monitor when osu! was open.
JJedi
The "Before you fixed anything" part helped me a lot!
Oswald
I updated from the 2015 stable release (since fallback score submissions will soon be disabled)

It works for now, thanks a lot! :)
Z3xs_old
I have a Mac and the problem of the month for osu for me is that when I start it up, the screen is just white. I can still hear the sound but I can't see anything
1shinoa
My osu! can't stop download some kind of discord-rpc.dll_patch

Can someone send me a copy?

thanks
Dntm8kmeeatu

jonaahDE wrote:

thanks

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1x17jM9fnbyfbGM9vY6H54UXWECSILwlY/view?usp=sharing

The link is in the post.
1shinoa
ayaya
kiadeiaz
everything else is fine, except for that whenever i type (searching, playing the game, etc) the game will either freeze or crash.

i can press keys while keybinding, but the keys don't change, they stay default, no matter what key i press.
akinawoo
Every time I try to use update wrapper or change engine used, it would just say your wrapper is running and can't perform the task. Is there a way to stop the wrapper?
Topic Starter
Technocoder

Alledion wrote:

Every time I try to use update wrapper or change engine used, it would just say your wrapper is running and can't perform the task. Is there a way to stop the wrapper?

Open Activity Monitor and type in the search bar "wine", "Wineskin" and "osu" and then force quit any programs with those names.
akinawoo
Thanks for the advice!
Scribbss

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

jonaahDE wrote:

thanks

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1x17jM9 ... sp=sharing

The link is in the post.
Where should I put the file after downloading?
Topic Starter
Technocoder
Scribbss

Scribbss wrote:

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

jonaahDE wrote:

thanks

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1x17jM9 ... sp=sharing

The link is in the post.

Where should I put the file after downloading?

Technocoder wrote:

osu! folder can be found by going to Show package contents > drive_c > osu!
Jared-San
Before I updated to High Sierra (was using El Capitan before, never updated to Sierra) my Osu! with this wrapper worked perfectly smooth, no input lag or anything. Now that I've updated to High Sierra I've had no problem opening it, however, the gameplay is terrible now. I get high input lag and the notes don't even show up on time anymore they are super delayed and very laggy, along with the cursor lag, it's pretty much unplayable. I haven't seen anyone with this problem though, only those having trouble opening it and no gameplay problems. Any thoughts on how I could fix?
Songbirb
Currently my odd problem, is that whenever I am playing and get to low hp, the screen goes entirely black, I am not even using a dual monitor setup or anything, it really hinders gameplay.
Topic Starter
Technocoder
Songbirb

Songbirb wrote:

Currently my odd problem, is that whenever I am playing and get to low hp, the screen goes entirely black, I am not even using a dual monitor setup or anything, it really hinders gameplay.

See my reply on a previous problem extremely to similar to this one.

Previous response

Technocoder wrote:

[box=catitaa6]

catitaa6 wrote:

thank you! runs 100%, except for one problem. i've installed yesterday and every time i play whenever the HP bar starts dropping to around 10-15% the game blacks out, really annoying cause then i just stop being able to see the game and obviously always lose as i can't keep playing to come back. soon as the song is lost i'm able to see the game just fine once again.

logs: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jL2CgQX15aKGbC_6F35K3IPPZoUTIKyo

some help would be appreciated on this one, thanks

Only thing I can think of is OpenGL issues but your GL Version is only slightly lower than mine so I doubt it's a huge issue. You can try disabling as many graphical effects in the osu! options and if that doesn't work, enable compatibility mode. If even that doesn't work I'll add a section in my guide later that explains how to revert your Wine version to an older one that may work better.

[quote="catitaa6"]hey! worked for me - i moved some settings around, something was probably causing conflict and the problem is gone. not sure what it was as i changed a lot of stuff, but fortunately it's properly working again. thanks again for this lovely package now i can say it's fully running :)
[/box]

RIP formatting
orangeosu
osu! is black when i open it and I only hear audio help what do I do I also tried to reinstall it and i can't get into wine yet because it says busy please wait well how long do i have to wait?!?!

Update: reinstalled osu! it works fine now now i have lag like every 2-3 seconds i try to play a map WHATS WRONG!?!?!? forgot to mention also on the latelst high Sierra update just released a few days ago
Jared-San

orangeosu wrote:

osu! is black when i open it and I only hear audio help what do I do I also tried to reinstall it and i can't get into wine yet because it says busy please wait well how long do i have to wait?!?!

Update: reinstalled osu! it works fine now now i have lag like every 2-3 seconds i try to play a map WHATS WRONG!?!?!?

As I posted before although skipped over, I am also having the lag problem but it is all throughout Osu! since the High Sierra update. Before, however, the wrapper worked perfectly. What causes this lag? It is unbearable. Thanks
IndigoRush

Z3xs wrote:

I have a Mac and the problem of the month for osu for me is that when I start it up, the screen is just white. I can still hear the sound but I can't see anything

Same here except my screen is black i cant see anything but i can hear the game
IkuKazumi
These tips were helpful when I still had Osu, but when I had it running in the background for about 5 mins, it suddenly froze and had to uninstall it. Upon reinstalling the game, I set up all the settings to what I had before uninstalling Osu. But now the game won't even launch. I have tried using all the steps in the post but still hasn't worked. I'm running on High Sierra. In Activity Monitor, I see the Osu app active for about a minute then immediately shuts down. I also didn't see the Osu wine commands active during the process.
show more