forum

[Archived] My Osu won't ever finish updating.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Emmlilly
Problem Details:

So all of a sudden my osu stopped working. I couldn't open it. After a long time, it said that it needed to update. So, I waited. It didn't tell me the progress, no %'s of the updating was shown. I left it to update while I did other things, and I came back to check on it over an hour later. Turns out nothing happened. At all.
All it says is "your game client is currently updating". Nothing else. Just the little osu logo, a help button, (which lead me to the wiki) and the little next.

Please help, I really want to play Osu again! :cry:
Death
Please provide the update.log file located in your osu!\Logs folder.
Topic Starter
Emmlilly
All that appears is
runtime
update
update_sucess

sorry, but I have no idea how to use the forums nor insert pictures...
also, thank you for the quick reply
Death
"update" is the file I was looking for, you just don't have file extensions enabled. It can be opened with notepad.

Copy the contents of that into a spoilerbox like this:
[spoilerbox]content[/spoilerbox]

If it is super long you can also use something like pastebin to upload the contents and paste the link that is generated here.
Topic Starter
Emmlilly
I'm sorry, but I'm a bit confused on what I'm doing and why I'm doing it. Do you happen to have any type of idea what the problem could be...? Or is this to find out???

Again, I'm sorry ;v;
Death
This is to find out. That file contains information as to what is going on when you are updating the game, and as you are having problems updating there might be some useful information in there.
Topic Starter
Emmlilly
Oh, well it says;
19/12/2017 15:01:43: libGLESv2.dll: LATEST
19/12/2017 15:01:43: A pending update is already waiting. Checking what we're working with...
19/12/2017 15:01:43: osu!spooky.dll: MISMATCH
19/12/2017 15:01:43: Running cleanup..
19/12/2017 15:01:43: Failed to cleanup STAGING
19/12/2017 15:01:43: Failed to cleanup STAGING_COMPLETE
the final part is repeated like 300 times

If this isn't what you needed then I'll just send you the entire thing. Just didn't know how to use a pastebin.
Also, I might take a while to reply to this one. (Not that I was super fast with the other ones..) I hope I'm not too much trouble!
Death
Please try adding an exclusion to your antivirus for osu! and if you can, the entire folder.

Run osu! as an administrator next time you start.

If both of the above fail, try running the installer once over your current installation. Here is a download link: https://m1.ppy.sh/r/osu!install.exe
Topic Starter
Emmlilly
Hello. Sorry for the late response!
I have come to the conclusion that the issues with my other programs begun BECAUSE I made osu an administrator. With the help or a few friends I realized that what caused osu to stop working was the new update. I can reinstall and run osu just fine, but when I try to update it (which it asks me to do at the title screen) the icon disappears from my desktop and it is unable to open. It doesn't even tell me, nothing simply happens! It's been 10 minutes so far.

Update: After reinstalling for like the 8th time I am officially back on square one. It's stuck. All it says is "your game client is being updated". (Now in English instead of Swedish, so my translation on the 1st post was slightly off.) So what happened is that it didn't even open osu and give me the option to update, this time it just forced the game to update!