forum

Progressing wrong?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kawaku
Hello, so I have a problem with progressing and after reading pretty much all the progressing guides and watching videos about it, and trying the techniques out, I figured that there is probably a problem with the way I've been progressing this whole time... let me explain the problem.

I can handle over 200 bpm streams, but I can't complete some 4 stars maps.
I can complete some really hard jumps one day and fail miserably the next day
I can complete some 5 stars maps but I never could FC or get an S or a 4 stars map.

My skills are all mixed up and at this point I really don't know if I should keep playing harder maps or if I should first focus on getting really good at the 4 stars maps are be able to get an S or FC them. I'd like some advice from players who maybe have experienced this problem... Let me precise that this has been lasting for almost 2 years now, so i'm getting just a liiittle bit frustrated :'D
Akanagi

Shinrufurdrag wrote:

I can handle over 200 bpm streams, but I can't complete some 4 stars maps.
Because there are countless 4* maps of varying BPM and no map consists of only streams.

Shinrufurdrag wrote:

I can complete some really hard jumps one day and fail miserably the next day
Because you're not consistent enough yet to hit them everytime. You could just be lucking your way through them.

Shinrufurdrag wrote:

I can complete some 5 stars maps but I never could FC or get an S or a 4 stars map.
Passing is generally easier than FCing. Again, you're not consistent enough to FC 4* maps. That being said 4* maps have so much variety that it takes a good while to be able to consistently FC all kinds of 4* maps (There are 4* from 90-296 BPM and from 2009-2017 mapping)

Shinrufurdrag wrote:

My skills are all mixed up and at this point I really don't know if I should keep playing harder maps or if I should first focus on getting really good at the 4 stars maps are be able to get an S or FC them. I'd like some advice from players who maybe have experienced this problem
Play maps you can read and focus on accuracy. Chances are you're just inhibiting progress by playing harder maps depending on how you approach them. You can build pretty bad habits if you play to survive.

If you want to get better at jumps you should play SLOW jumps where you have enough time to very safely hit the jump and get musclememory right. Eventually you'll be able to do it faster and faster.

Also "handling" 200 BPM streams doesn't imply you can play them. Sounds more like "I can survive / mash through it". Try to stream the exact BPM.
Again, play for Accuracy and Precision and not to survive / pass.
Ignore the 5*-6* maps
Topic Starter
Kawaku
Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely try that!
pandaBee
If you had read the stickies as you claim you would know the answers already
ManuelOsuPlayer
You need acc. That's all. If you can read 200bpm streams consistenly and not FC 4* maps do the next:
Order by diff. Chose 2*. Order by rank get. Anything nomod with an score archived worst than an A it's easy to improve.
Do the same at 3* and at 4*.
Finally play 3* 4* marathons aiming to FC and good acc.
You should be able to FC some 4*-5* maps after 1 or 2 weeks.
Nit0ri
It look like you are not playing enough, try to play on a more regular basis if you really want to improve.
Also its normal to be good sometime and suck other time.