forum

horizontal movement

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Headcrab
I've had my tablet for over a year now, been playing with the same playstyle mostly. wether I play with my comfortable style or any type of style, I'm having huge issues with horizontal movement. I can never be precise with that sort of movement, often if not always leading me to missing jumps.

If anyone has any idea of what I can do to improve and come over this, please let me know.

And no saying play more is not going to cut it.
pandaBee
play moar switch to touchscreen
Lyawi
Just wanted to ask if you're playing in a comfortable way. If you're sitting weird because your tablet might got placed in an odd way, you should change the placement of your tablet a bit.
Topic Starter
Headcrab
I do sit pretty comfortably, is there anything you could think of, that you do when you do horizontal jumps?
pandaBee
i point and then i click
Topic Starter
Headcrab
clearly not working too well
Endaris
We have a severe lack of information on how you even play the game.
Playstyles differ a lot and it's nigh impossible to give advice applicable to your specific situation even if we had more information.
Using a touchscreen would indeed ease the problem as you have better angles at your disposal.
Horizontal movement is more difficult to control with a pen based on your grip and the possible movements of your wrist, so this is really a normal occurence and you have to somehow work around it in a way fitting to your style.
Topic Starter
Headcrab
https://i.imgur.com/oSYaYvJ.jpg Grip

https://i.imgur.com/UcIOiJl.png Area

I hover when playing, Not sure what else I could tell you
mulraf
i thought the horizontal movement being harder is the norm oO at least as a mouse player i find it way harder too
Topic Starter
Headcrab
It's not easy that's for sure
Endaris
Well, judging from your pinky fully resting on your tablet, I reckon you don't even use your wrist much but mostly your fingers.

If you have to jump on the x-axis you have to bend joint number 1. This has a bigger margin of error because it is the farthest away from the pen, you have to adjust all 3 joints in a complex motion that doesn't correlate with the actual horizontal movement you're trying to do (as you're adjusting joint nr 1 on the y axis). For vertical jumps, joint number 2 can do a significant part of the work which probably makes them easier.
Also very notable is the green line. It is obviously not desirable to bend your fingers farther back then your hand goes. Your index finger and the back of your hand already form a line in that picture, meaning that there is very little room for the index finger to bend comfortably if you aim to the right side. As it is a very cramped motion you have less control over it, meaning that it also introduces a significant error on top of the one you already got for circles on the far right of the playfield with top right being a bit worse than the lower part.

This seems to be a natural flaw of your grip that cannot be easily resolved other than changing your grip. As already mentioned though, horizontal movement is rather a weak point for all pen grips.
While your grip gives you a lot of stability for hovering, it gives you very little possibilities to use the mobility of your fingers and your wrist as they are more or less locked into their positions through the weight of your arm and gripping the pen.

Looking at how you grip your pen, Rucker comes to my mind:

As you can see, he grips the pen very similarly on the top with his index and thumb. Despite him - unlike you - putting his middle finger under the pen instead of above, a very notable thing you can see in this video is that he doesn't rest his pinky on the tablet but only has his wrist seated.
This gives him the opportunity to abuse a lot more angles by actively using the entire hand to control the pen and moving the pinky along. Having the pinky afloat also allows him to make much more use of his wrist.
tl;dr
While harder to control, his grip gives him many more ways to move the pen into the desired position.

Mind that I'm not a tablet player and you also didn't supply a liveplay so everything I wrote and assumed might be wrong but that is exactly why I told you already that is very difficult to give applicable advice.
Also note that you're very lucky to get this response as I'm usually not willing to make such an effort for a person who didn't put in much effort into their thread and explaining their problem.

@mulraf: For mouse it depends a lot on the grip you're using. For fingertip grips, horizontal movement tends to be easier because it is literally just waving your wrist while vertical movement requires me to move my entire hand in one focused motion so a lot more can go wrong there for me.
pandaBee
just turn off your mouse acceleration bro
Topic Starter
Headcrab
Thanks for the advice, I'll try to change my pen grip up, and I appriciate the time you took to help