forum

[Archived] RefreshRate setting not working reliably

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
helion
Hey guys. I have been using the fallback release stream in the past and today I decided to try the latest stable build again (new install). I own a 144 Hz monitor and ran into some issues with the refresh rate.

As usual I went to the settings file and changed "RefreshRate" to 144. I also changed "OverrideRefreshRate" to 1, without that RefreshRate doesn't seem to work at all.

I made sure to always check the active refresh rate in my monitor's OSD just to be certain. Anyways, my observations are as follows:

If letterboxing is turned on, osu! seems to completely ignore the refresh rate setting and use the same as in desktop mode. So if the desktop is set to 60 Hz, osu! will ignore the setting and use 60 Hz as well.

If letterboxing is turned off, osu! will launch with 144 Hz, but if you tab out and back in it only switches to 144 Hz again if resolution and refresh rate on the desktop are the same as in osu!. If any of the two are different, it will come back with 60 Hz instead. If that happens, the frame counter in the bottom right will incorrectly still show 144 Hz though.

If letterboxing is off and I turn on compatibility mode, it works as expected again.

It also works perfectly on fallback.

I'm using a GTX 750 Ti with driver version 388.13.