forum

Windows.old

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
animexamera
So I have been experiencing lag spikes (instead of my usual ~1ms input lag up to 5ms) constantly (every 5-30 seconds)

And after uninstalling Windows.old yesterday its working, i know thata full hard drive is known for causing lags.

My hard drive has a total of 256GB and of which previously 50GB, now (after uninstalling Windows.old) 70GB are free.
Is this related to the Windows.old file or was it just a problem of too full hard drive.
chicodie04
Hi!, windows.old folder is generated when installing a new windows having windows already, it stores all your data from that previous windows, I wouldn't recommend to delete it because you could recover some data or windows drivers, but do as you wish.

The spikes are generated by the disc itself, try defragmenting your disc. Other reason could be that it's too old and it's starting to have unusable areas, but i doubt it. Or maybe you accidentally hit it very hard while using the pc, that creates scratches on the disc and those scratches cause the spikes on the pc, if they are not serious, the disc will repair them with time.