forum

Another kind of hold feature

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +1
Topic Starter
yongtw123
KRZY has suggested "holding notes", where a player needs to press and hold an object for a certain amount of time before releasing it and going on to the next object.

My idea is a bit different.

First let's look at the current slider we have.
A slider has two endpoints.
A player first clicks on the starting point, holds, and drag along the sliderpath until reaching the endpoint, where the player releases.
We can observe that this is only a constant hold-drag-release action.

KRZY's idea is more to the hold-release type.
My idea can be described as hold-drag-click type.

See, the endpoint of a slider usually corresponds to a beat or some vocal of a song.
However sometimes "the feel of hitting this particular beat or lyric" is quite passive with a slider.
How about if the player actually has to hold and drag as long as one can and click on the end point to complete this kind of slider?

A similar concept is shown on DJMAX Technika 2 (although it's "hold-click" not "hold-drag-click")
http://djmaxcrew.com/djmax_technika2/info02.asp
A video demo is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYEu5c7Hlr0&t=1m31s

I am proposing this because sometimes a normal slider fails convey that "hold" and then "hit the beat" feeling.
A normal slider brings the player to hit a beat pretty passively.
I know this kind of feature can be mimicked by snapping the slider, for example 1/16 tick back, and place a circle on the endpoint.
But this will create an unnecessary beat before the actually intended endpoint.

What would you think about this feature?
Sakura
If you mean something like clicking hitcircles while dragging alond the slider patch then this has been requested and denied before, otherwise please explain it a bit better because i dont get it
Azure_Kite
Essentially, what he's saying is that you treat it like a slider (Click and hold down with the mouse) and then when it reaches the end, you click again.
Shiro
I actually like this idea. Sliderends are passively completed (which can be good to make beats feel less important), but sometimes you just want to click the sliderend, and replacing the slider with two circles wouldn't play nearly as good.
Supporting.
Topic Starter
yongtw123

Odaril wrote:

I actually like this idea. Sliderends are passively completed (which can be good to make beats feel less important), but sometimes you just want to click the sliderend, and replacing the slider with two circles wouldn't play nearly as good.
Supporting.

Azure_Kyte wrote:

Essentially, what he's saying is that you treat it like a slider (Click and hold down with the mouse) and then when it reaches the end, you click again.
The above two got my idea.
Koko Ban
osu! stream had this feature where you can tap sliders provided you hit the ticks and the circles. peppy told me this is doable on PC version too.
ziin
eggpain
Sakura
I remember mm201 mentioning somewhere, that sliders are supposed to be more enphasized at the start, and more soft at the end, while spinners were the opposite, something like that.
RandomJibberish
Sliders should be mainly about the hold and the drag - the end has less emphasis and you should map with this in mind.

If you want what you describe you probably should be ending your slider earlier and putting a hitcircle at the second "beat".
Winshley
You're suggesting for a completely new type of object (that allows you to hold notes as long as you can before reaching the end note and tap the end note at the right rhythm), right?

It could be an interesting idea, with additional suggestion that the object will add to your score gradually the longer you hold it (which pretty much similar to spinner's extra spin bonus. And no, I don't mean slider ticks).

As for KRZY's idea, it's similar to your idea except that you have to "release" at the right rhythm instead of "clicking".

In conclusion:
- KRZY's idea: [Click]--------------------<Hold 'n Drag>--------------------[Release at correct rhythm]
- Your idea: [Click]--------------------<Hold 'n Drag>--------------------[Click again]

It's just the matter of implementing such new objects here. I doubt that it could be done anytime soon (or never... lol).
Suimya
and i think if we make something on option that's let us choose between them ~
+supporting this seems fun~
mm201

I disagree with this. Too many kinds of gameplay elements clutters up the experience and gives the player too many things to think about. If it can be accomplished with existing elements, it should be.
Topic Starter
yongtw123

mm201 wrote:

I disagree with this. Too many kinds of gameplay elements clutters up the experience and gives the player too many things to think about. If it can be accomplished with existing elements, it should be.
I disagree with the "can be accomplished with existing elements" part.

Yes a mapper can mimic the idea like the picture you show, but the problem is that it introduces an extra beat (since the slider must be shortened). This extra beat may or may not fit the music, but when it doesn't, this method fails.
D33d
If the release and tap doesn't fit in mm's depiction, then it wouldn't fit with the suggested feature. The end of a slider can be softened/silenced if required, but if one wants to tap on the beat, then a slider and circle is what should be used.
RandomJibberish

D33d wrote:

The end of a slider can be softened/silenced if required
AAAH NO PLEASE I WANT TO KNOW MY SLIDER HAS ENDED

but yeah, what matters is whether the actions of the player fit the music, not whether the hitsounds do. This is why sliderends are considered to have less emphasis than sliderstarts or beats. The exact same player action is already possible as mm describes, and will sound fine over the rest of the music if the slider is shortened by the right amount.
Trauma-
it must be my tiredness that i just give my last vote away for this but im supporting it as i miss something like that sometimes.