forum

Require only 1 bubble for a map to get Approved.

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +3
Topic Starter
Natteke
Most of the time, maps for approval are just longer than usual and have a higher maximum score than ranked maps.

A typical ranked map would contain 3 diffs, each of them is around 2 to 3 minutes long, so checking one map that is going for ranking is about the same as checking 1 map for approval which only has 1 difficulty. I think maps for approval only need 1 bubble, instead of 2.
marshallracer
Darn, this makes so much sense ...

... but then again, Approval maps have to be checked more thoroughly so the 1-bubble-thing would be ok, I guess ...
Topic Starter
Natteke
Why do they have to be checked more thoroughly if they are not very different from other maps?
Mashley
Agreed, there is really no need for it to take so long.
Wishy
Actually I would go for make high-score maps or no-low-diff-maps just get ranked and change Approval into a special criteria where you can go with "screw the rules" basically. I really don't see the point in making some maps go to a special category just because... they give "too much" score or they are "too hard". Not like anybody will care if Lesjuh's Dragonforce maps get ranked. I understand the reasons behind this when the game was like much smaller and there were way fewer maps than now, but I think those reasons don't make any sense tbh since you got like... 4500 ranked maps? Getting about 50~70 maps with no easy/normal diffs and a lot of score won't really ruin the game.
Jenny
I agree with this topic's creator! o/
Suimya
i do think this possible too, so +support <3
Shiirn

Wishy22 wrote:

Actually I would go for make high-score maps or no-low-diff-maps just get ranked and change Approval into a special criteria where you can go with "screw the rules" basically. I really don't see the point in making some maps go to a special category just because... they give "too much" score or they are "too hard". Not like anybody will care if Lesjuh's Dragonforce maps get ranked. I understand the reasons behind this when the game was like much smaller and there were way fewer maps than now, but I think those reasons don't make any sense tbh since you got like... 4500 ranked maps? Getting about 50~70 maps with no easy/normal diffs and a lot of score won't really ruin the game.
And then a good chunk of mappers will never make easier difficulties and new players wouldn't reliably be able to grab [insert random song] and be assured that there's likely a diif easy enough for them.

Besides, getting 2 bubbles rather than 1 isn't that hard. It just means you're going to need to put just a bit more effort in - and unfortunately, all i see this as is a way to make approval "easier" which is something it was never intended to be in the first place - you're specifically making a map that is meant to be rigorously tested to make sure that it's fine despite breaking score/length/whatever rules. Because longer and higher score maps are prone to more errors.
mm201
Agree with Wishy, minus the "no easy/normal" thing. I don't see any reason why long or difficult maps can't be ranked.
The original purpose of Approval was for unique, crazy maps which break the rules but are still somehow awesome. They need that extra BAT because it's harder to assure the map is of a high quality without rules to back that up.

We should let long and hard maps into ranking (but require easier difficulties, the usual difficulty count rules) and use Approval for crazy gimmick maps, like it was originally intended for.
Musty
Agreeing with Wishy, maybe make another section should be better.
Sakura

mm201 wrote:

Agree with Wishy, minus the "no easy/normal" thing. I don't see any reason why long or difficult maps can't be ranked.
The original purpose of Approval was for unique, crazy maps which break the rules but are still somehow awesome. They need that extra BAT because it's harder to assure the map is of a high quality without rules to back that up.

We should let long and hard maps into ranking (but require easier difficulties, the usual difficulty count rules) and use Approval for crazy gimmick maps, like it was originally intended for.
Totally agree with this
Topic Starter
Natteke
So you will remove the "NO TAG MAPS" newrule? That's awesome.
Shiirn
>make Easy/Normal/Hard for ascension to heaven
fffff
akrolsmir
Where would maps that produce really high scores but otherwise play regularly go? I thought one reason for approval was if a map went long, due to the nature of combos as score multipliers, you'd want to make it approved so that it doesn't affect the player rankings too much.
peppy
I don't think high scoring songs really matter anymore at this point. It's not like ranked score is a good metric anyway? Might as well do away with the approved category altogether.
mm201
Scoreboards are good fun, and graveyarded maps eventually get archived. :?
Backfire

peppy wrote:

I don't think high scoring songs really matter anymore at this point. It's not like ranked score is a good metric anyway? Might as well do away with the approved category altogether.
This is big news man.
peppy
To clarify, I propose merging approved into ranked. Some exceptions may have to be made, but most could be waived as "previous standards".
Backfire
This is huge.

No but seriously, this will seperate the boys from the men, now.
Shiirn
I approve.
show more