forum

[Archived] Tremendous cpu usage

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Mabes
My osu has been running fine ever since the start, lately though, I’ve been experiencing a huge increase on my cpu usage when entering a beatmap on osu. I used to be able to stream my osu to twitch or watch videos on the side on my other screen but due to the cpu usage suddenly being around 70% when in a beatmap, my streams will run on 28fps with huge spikes everywhere and videos and streams on the side will lag badly.

I’m still running the same rig as I did since the start:
ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming
Intel Core i5-6600k @ 4.2GHz
ASUS ROG STRIX GTX1060 OC 6GB
Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 Memory (2x8)

I’m open for any suggestions that might fix my problems at this point, since I feel like osu is destroying my cpu.
Death
What Release Stream are you on? Are you sure it is osu! that is using up resources and not some other program running in the background? You can use something like Process Hacker to see which programs are using your CPU at specific times.

Make sure all of your drivers are up to date. Check to make sure your CPU/Computer is not overheating. And this may seem simple, but have you restarted your computer?
Topic Starter
Mabes
All my drivers are up to date, I’m on the latest release of both osu and windows 10.
I’ve checked what programs are eating my cpu with multiple applications and all of them showed it was osu.
I can understand that pushing out 3000fps isn’t easy for a cpu but it used to do it with 20% usage, not 70.
About the programs though. I’ve already tried ending all other applications but it clearly is osu. No doubt.
Death
Hold shift while starting osu! to open the repair dialog and hit repair osu!
Topic Starter
Mabes
I’ll write it down and try it first thing tomorrow. Seen as it’s 4:36AM =3=
Kondou-Shinichi
check if there’s weird beatmap with no star ratings fucking flashbacks
try F5

does the cpu increase when you idle osu? (like try just getting in osu and do nothing)
Topic Starter
Mabes
My osu is on around 15 - 20% usage when idle or in menu's (even the pause screen)

This is my cpu usage after fixing osu:

Which is still way too high, seen as it used to be at constant 20% even when in beatmaps.

And as I stated with Streaming before:

This is what happens when I'm streaming / recording with OBS.
Death
Check your computer's temperatures when playing.
Topic Starter
Mabes

the same as usual. I've never seen them above 70 before. highest I've seen was *69c when rendering a video.
(with "as usual" I mean, normal for playing a game like osu, theyre around 50 - 60 on games like csgo / rainbow six siege etc)
Death
Maybe try disabling "Windows Search Index Service"
t/167844

Also make sure osu! is using your GPU, go to NVIDIA Control Panel > 3D Settings > Manage 3D Settings > Program Settings > Add osu!, or find osu! on the list and set the preferred graphical to "High Performance NVIDIA Processor"

Also change your power options to High Performance in Windows
t/597488
Topic Starter
Mabes

Death wrote:

Maybe try disabling "Windows Search Index Service"
t/167844

Also make sure osu! is using your GPU, go to NVIDIA Control Panel > 3D Settings > Manage 3D Settings > Program Settings > Add osu!, or find osu! on the list and set the preferred graphical to "High Performance NVIDIA Processor"

Also change your power options to High Performance in Windows
t/597488
I'm on a desktop PC so I don't think there's any power options.
Also, the option "preferred graphical" or anything similar doesn't seem to exist in my NVIDIA Control Panel.
Death
There should be Power Options in your control panel, just make sure it is not set to power saver, or anything like that.

Have you seen an increase in CPU usage with games other than osu! recently?
Upskirt
Here's a question, what has changed with your PC since the increase in CPU usage?
Topic Starter
Mabes

Death wrote:

There should be Power Options in your control panel, just make sure it is not set to power saver, or anything like that.

Have you seen an increase in CPU usage with games other than osu! recently?
No I haven't.

Venzire wrote:

Here's a question, what has changed with your PC since the increase in CPU usage?
Absolutely Nothing. I've done a full system reset once, 3/2 months ago, It started giving me these problems around 2 - 3 weeks after.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is still my cpu usage after turning indexing off and right after a restart.
my cpu usage also remains between 40 / 50 with "High Power" on in the power settings.
Death
When you group your maps by difficulty, do you have any that are uncalculated?

Also, try changing your release stream to Cutting Edge to see if the problem persists.
Topic Starter
Mabes
I’ll do it tomorrow since it’s nearly 4AM again. And I think I have a few 0* maps which are basically just unmapped difficulties
Death
0* maps will be grouped in a different section than uncalculated maps, I only care about the uncalculated ones.
Topic Starter
Mabes
How do I know if they’re uncalculated then?
Death
They will be in their own section called "Not yet calculated"

thanks veilstar
Topic Starter
Mabes
I don't seem to have a "not yet calculated" section. the lowest is "Below 1 star" but nothing under it
show more