forum

Speed Training

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Edgar_Figaro
So I've kinda hit a wall in Osu Mania and been trying to break through it but to no avail.

My biggest issue at this point doesn't seem to be patterns but instead just patterns at a certain speed. Slow down the patterns and I can play them just fine but once they go too fast my eyes and hands just don't seem to keep up anymore.

I've been trying to just push myself faster by playing maps with DT outside my comfort zone where I need to struggle to pass the map and only pass it about 50-50. Figured if I kept doing this for a while eventually I would start passing this difficulty almost 100% of the time and then I could just move up to a slightly harder difficulty playing harder maps. The thing is this doesn't seem to be happening. After several weeks of doing this I am still at the exact same Pass/Fail difficulty level as I was at the start of my speed training attempts.

Also I have tried adjust the scroll speed some to see if maybe my reading problem was simply density but I seemed to always perform worse when I deviated from the scroll speed I was most comfortable with. Of course if increasing my scroll speed would be a long term benefit and just learning to read the faster scroll speed will help out I am willing to stick with a faster scroll speed until it becomes comfortable.

Just wondering if anyone has advice on how to improve your raw speed
(P.S. I understand it will involve Playing More. Just wanting to ask if people have advice beyond that for specific ways of training)
Yyorshire
Your issue is a perfect example of why we need rates in osu!mania.

Your best bet I'd say is to download maps with rates to practice getting faster at the patterns you're already used to, or to just download StepMania and play that for awhile to improve your speed.

Other than that speed maps are another option to improving speed, I'd recommend playing dump maps if you don't do what I've mentioned above.
Bobbias
I think in this case you need to isolate your problem better. Problems with speed come from 2 things, reading issues and finger technique. You need to figure out if your issue is reading or not.

If it turns out to be reading related, that means you are struggling to handle the visual density. In that case practicing on stuff thats too hard might have a small effect, but what you need to be doing is looking for maps that are denser and denser without requiring a huge jump in actual finger speed to play. If on the other hand its technique, you need to work on trying to relax and hit the keys lighter on the fast patterns you struggle with.

For technique its best to focus on improving individual patterns by finding maps with those patterns at increasing speeds. Density is actually unhelpful for improving technique at first, so you probably want to focus on faster streamy stuff to build technique. Once you improve streaming speed other patterns will follow.
Topic Starter
Edgar_Figaro

Bobbias wrote:

I think in this case you need to isolate your problem better. Problems with speed come from 2 things, reading issues and finger technique. You need to figure out if your issue is reading or not.

If it turns out to be reading related, that means you are struggling to handle the visual density. In that case practicing on stuff thats too hard might have a small effect, but what you need to be doing is looking for maps that are denser and denser without requiring a huge jump in actual finger speed to play. If on the other hand its technique, you need to work on trying to relax and hit the keys lighter on the fast patterns you struggle with.

For technique its best to focus on improving individual patterns by finding maps with those patterns at increasing speeds. Density is actually unhelpful for improving technique at first, so you probably want to focus on faster streamy stuff to build technique. Once you improve streaming speed other patterns will follow.
After trying your advice, while the finger speed might be an issue, it only becomes an issue if the patterns are so easy there isn't really much reading involved (like trills and such). It seems like dense patterns become an issue even in small bursts so I guess I need to work on that. Do you have any suggestions for maps in particular that you would say are "dense but not too fast"?
abraker

Edgar_Figaro wrote:

Do you have any suggestions for maps in particular that you would say are "dense but not too fast"?
You need to work on speed reading. Try 4* evening maps. Also try some 6.5*+ maps on HT. Those tend to have complex patterns too.
Bobbias
For density, stuff with dense jumpstreams, handstreams, even quadstreams. HT is also a good tool here because many high sr maps are very dense as well as fast.
Evening

Edgar_Figaro wrote:

After trying your advice, while the finger speed might be an issue, it only becomes an issue if the patterns are so easy there isn't really much reading involved (like trills and such). It seems like dense patterns become an issue even in small bursts so I guess I need to work on that. Do you have any suggestions for maps in particular that you would say are "dense but not too fast"?
I had similar troubles reading bursts and such so I guess I can try to help a bit here

--

simplifying snaps

for my case, I read in a manner that helps simplify notes with complicated snaps (usually bursts will have unusual high snaps)

it'll most likely trade accuracy for combo for most cases but it is one way of approaching bursts, and I have been using this method for quite a long time
it makes bursts/complicated snaps much less of a mental strain

--

simplifying common bursts

usually you'll end up with bursts that you can't process fast enough, similarly, you can try to simplify them into a "jack and trill" format, most bursts that are short can be done that way

similarly, when you do this technique, you might lose accuracy in exchange of not missing and such

--

hopefully this can help, took me quite a bit of time to learn it! :)
Bobbias
It looks like what you're doing is mentally splitting the patterns into left hand and right hand. Reminds me of how I approach reading jack heavy maps.
Topic Starter
Edgar_Figaro
Not really sure how to mentally split patterns like that. I guess I could try playing maps with NF and try just reading the left side or just reading the right side until I get used to it.
abraker

Edgar_Figaro wrote:

Not really sure how to mentally split patterns like that. I guess I could try playing maps with NF and try just reading the left side or just reading the right side until I get used to it.
Turn on co-op mod to split the stage in 2?
Bobbias
The way I mentally split patterns is to focus on the right side of the screen more than the left. Somehow I can still read the patterns on the left even when I'm really focusing only on the right, so it works out (and my left hand has always been better at hitting patterns with less conscious thought). Of course, it'll probably work equally well if you focus on the left (or at least it probably would if you're left handed, i'm not sure how handedness plays into this).

Like I said, I only use this kind of approach for jack heavy patterns, but if it works for other stuff, then that's good to know.
NightNarumi
I think its more of a personal preference, which part is easier to focus on.
I, for instance, am a lefty and it’s also easier for me to focus on the right part and let my left hand do it’s thing.