forum

Skins Managment (I don't really know about a better title)

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Lyawi
It's me again

After I've read this message in the #help channel I got the idea.

Do we even need "the skinning subforum"? We could just upload skins like beatmaps, listed on a page and the skin's page positioned and designed like the beatmap's page.

If multiple modes are skinned, they can click on a tab (osu!, Taiko in this case) to download the skin only for this mode. Maybe this could be done for beatmaps too, but this is just an other idea. Otherwise they just download the whole skin

At the moment, skins get posted in a forum where people design their thread as good as possible so that people are going to download their skin, which the creator has to give in the thread aswell. If you don't know how that can look: t/365036

Tags could be useful too which are maybe adjustable in the skin.ini then. Maybe there could be a box listed below for some screenshots of the skin, which the user has to give when uploading. or even a video aswell.
The only thing we could need the skinning subforum for it checking what's mixed and what's not, like deciding between unranked and ranked beatmaps, so that only original skins get "ranked". No longer a need to have chaos because mixed skins exists, some people could just decide what will come into the "ranked" skins listing and what not, like QAT's and BN's work at the moment.

Now the question is if skins are that important as beatmaps. The whole thing could be easier to use for newbies which aren't familiar to the forums. Having a skin tab right next to the beatmap tab could be cool.

We have a help subforum, questions about skinning could easily go to there. I'm happy with the current situation aswell, the majority of the chaos got handled in the skinning subforum I would say and it still gets better

sorry for that chaos in this thread, I just wrote everything that floated through my brain. Skins and beatmaps aren't the same, but could get managed by the same I guess \o/
Flanster
Skin listing is already being planned for the new site. It's functionality is similar to beatmap pages - author, name, preview, available gamesets, comments, changelog etc. There were some screenshots on osu!next hinting at ingame "osu!themes" browser. It could pretty much be tied to that directly. As for the skinning subforum - it might either become defunct or remain only for skinning related questions. The ladder being more probable.
Topic Starter
Lyawi

Flanster wrote:

Skin listing is already being planned for the new site. It's functionality is similar to beatmap pages - author, name, preview, available gamesets, comments, changelog etc.
Oh cool

Flanster wrote:

Skinning subforum might become defunct or remain only for skinning related questions.
If you would ask me, I would let it die, those skinning related questions could just go to the help forum. Or using the skinning subforum for what I've mentioned: deciding between un- and ranked (unranked = mixed skins, ranked = original skins)

thanks for your comment
Nathanael
Posting the planned skin system as reference: Skin System (#61) - ppy/osu-web