forum

[Archived] Japanese search

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Xandaros
Not really a problem, but a question. (The description of this forum mentioned questions, too, but everything seems to be geared towards problem reports. I'm confused...)

When searching for a Japanese song in romaji, I noticed some weird things.
For example, searching for "sukidesu" or "suki desu" yields absolutely nothing, even though I have a map called "好きです". I thought maybe it can't search like this for kanji, but it doesn't even come up if I just search for "desu".

Searching for "nyanpasu" correctly shows Dr. にゃんぱすー, though.

But, that map is called the same thing in English, so maybe it was searching for the English title. However, I also have two maps called リモコン. Searching for "rimokon" does actually work and show, err... one of them. Even though they have the same name, only one gets found. In English, both are called "Remote Control", I believe.

So... my question: How does it actually work when searching using Roman letters and finding Japanese songs? What is it looking for? Why can it only find one of the two リモコンs, despite both having the same name?

Maps mentioned:
たらこ - 好きです
Iwana - Dr. にゃんぱすー
kradness&れをる - リモコン (This one can be found with "rimokon")
祭屋 - リモコン (This one can NOT be found with "rimokon")
Supairo
The first song does not contain "sukidesu" in the romanised title or in the tags. The romanised field contains the English title.

Second song contains a direct romanisation of the Japanese title, so it will show up.

Third song does not contain the romanised Japanese title, but is included in the tags, which is why you'll find it.

Fourth one, however, does not have the romanised title in the tags, which is why you don't find it compared to the 3rd one.

In short, osu! does not convert Japanese symbols to their romanised equivalent. You have to rely on the titles written in the Romanised Title field of the editor / website and the tags.
Topic Starter
Xandaros
I see, so this is caused by the romaji not being included in the metadata?

Hmm, automatically handling the searching, at least for kana, might be useful, though. I might try adding that to osu!lazer if I find the time.
(And also using hiragana to find katakana titles and vice-versa. I remember searching for ニャンパス once and being confused why it couldn't find it. Turns out it is spelt にゃんぱすー :D)