forum

[Archived] Osu runs like crap on my box and I'm not sure why

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Litharrale
Problem Details:
Rare to go below "5ms" on the fps counter, constant frame drops. Makes the game essentially unplayable.

Running full screen without any programs that mess with the screen (i.e f.lux etc)

Specs:
i5 4440k
r9 280x
8GB ram

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

having a song autoplay in the editor

osu! version: 20170731.2 (latest)
Upskirt
Before all else, lets rule it out... I only found an i5 4440 on Intel ARK, the non-k variant. Perhaps you haven't disabled the iGPU or osu! is using the iGPU instead of your R9 280x.

You can disable the iGPU in the motherboard UEFI.

Is the monitor cable connected to your video card?
Topic Starter
Litharrale
Double checked and its all connected where it should be. I have a sneaky suspicion it could be my hard drive but I've nothing to back that up other than "it worked better on my old hard drive"
Upskirt
Is power efficiency turned off in the AMD Crimson Suite?

When did the problem occur?

Does it happen in Windowed or Borderless?

Make sure Triple-Buffering is disabled.

Try pressing F7 ingame until it says unlimited.

Topic Starter
Litharrale
Is power efficiency turned off in the AMD Crimson Suite?
Looks like my one doesnt even have it

When did the problem occur?
After I installed my new hard drive

Does it happen in Windowed or Borderless?
...what the hell

so i swapped to borderless and suddenly it was sub 1ms, swapped back to fullscreen and it was still 1ms. I thought the problem resolved so I played a map and about 70% of the way through I started getting bad frame drops again. So the problem seemed to temporarily resolve for not for long
Topic Starter
Litharrale
I got a PM ingame from https://osu.ppy.sh/u/Death who suggested to run osu as an admin and that seems to significantly improved my frame drops and low fps

I still get drops from 1ms to 4ms to a brief moment during gameplay but it's infinitely better than before

Triple buffering is disabled and vsync is set to always off
Upskirt
There's numerous things you could try, so many that you'd most likely have to go through them all yourself.

I'll see if I can find anything regarding the problem.

You could try running osu! in compatibility mode, you can change that in-game.

I wonder if a clean reboot of Windows will do anything... Copy below into the Windows Explorer address bar.

Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\System Settings

Change settings and un-check Fast Startup, you'll have to Shutdown your PC. If it doesn't do anything then you can just enable it again.

You can also try editing the power plan to not switch off the HDD.

What .NET version do you have installed? If you used an application like Ninite after reinstalling Windows then you should be A-Okay.

Oh yeah, disable full-screen optimisations under the osu!.exe. Under control panel disable game bar and game mode since you mentioned you've a fresh install which would most likely be using the Creator update.

Death
Just a nice reminder to try updating your drivers if you have yet to do so after I mentioned it in IRC.