forum

[Archived] Osu! Latency Issues (sorry, I know there's a lot of these..)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Avalar
Problem Details:

So when I play Osu on Unlimited frames, I get around a couple thousand FPS. That makes my input delay less than 0.4 at the lowest. The problem with this, though, is that the fluctuation in the amount of FPS I get on certain maps also affects the latency, and I've seen it go as high as ~4ms. I've noticed that it happens especially on maps with a high AR, and lots of notes. I don't think the skin I use is particularly resource intensive, either. I thought it might just be because I haven't played Osu! regularly in a while, or maybe it's my monitor, idk. I have a run-of-the-mill 60Hz IPS, 1080p, 5ms response display, but it hasn't given me any issues that I could see in any other games. Osu is the only game I have this problem with to a noticeable degree.

What I wanna also know is if I can limit my FPS to a number higher than the 240 preset. 240 FPS gives me around a 4.5ms delay, which I'm sure I could get used to over time, but with my monitor already screen-tearing all over the place on Osu! more than any other game I play, I'd rather it be lower if possible.

osu! version: 20170731.2 (latest)
Topic Starter
Avalar
Just FYI, the performance of my PC shouldn't be the issue. I optimized it a long time ago to have extremely low system latency. I'm on Windows 7, I have a GTX 950 GPU, and I don't even have the NVIDIA display drivers installed, so there should be no problem with desktop scaling or anything like that causing lag. It's not my mouse, and I play on fullscreen.
Venix
Don't doublepost :/
Topic Starter
Avalar
Alright, good talk.
Lacrimosa
To change the frame limit, go to your osu! folder and open the osu!.<yourpcname>.cfg file. From there, find the line "CustomFrameLimit" and set it to whatever you want.
Topic Starter
Avalar

Nikosbks wrote:

To change the frame limit, go to your osu! folder and open the osu!.<yourpcname>.cfg file. From there, find the line "CustomFrameLimit" and set it to whatever you want.
You are a godsend, sir <3
Lacrimosa
Haha did you resolve the issue?
Shortthu

Avalarr wrote:

and I don't even have the NVIDIA display drivers installed
what?
and why
Topic Starter
Avalar

Nikosbks wrote:

Haha did you resolve the issue?
A little bit, yeah. Now, I just need to get better at the game lmao.
Topic Starter
Avalar

Shortthu wrote:

Avalarr wrote:

and I don't even have the NVIDIA display drivers installed
what?
and why
They're the biggest cause of input latency on computers besides audio drivers, and I don't need them to play my games. Mainly because my monitor doesn't need any support from third-party software to run (just 1080p, 60Hz).