forum

About sliders on osu!catch

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +1
Topic Starter
eldnl
Is not new that on the osu!catch mapping we have been limited by the osu!standard features, such as normal hit circles, sliders and spinners, making the mapping style and patterns a bit limited, considering that the vertical placement of the notes has no effect on the osu!catch gameplay at all, so an idea came to my mind today, what about a different style of sliders for catch the beat?, ones where we are not limited to the start and the end of it as we are today, a different style of sliders that allow us to change the direction of it but like a repeat slider, an image will help you to understand what I mean:

https://puu.sh/wYIIO/8340cb48a5.png

that will look like this:

https://puu.sh/wYIPB/4493e5e180.jpg

Of course, right now this is not rankable, and for good reasons, there is no way that two notes takes places at the same tick, so that's why I'm making this request, please put your opinions below, thank you for your attention.
_Meep_
a single pattern will take a real long time to make lol
also theres a nee ctb editor feature request somewhere below this, why not support that instead?
Topic Starter
eldnl
I did that request too, but it is not the same ...
JBHyperion
When the osu!catch ranking criteria was reworked last year, we did bring this idea of stacking slider heads/tails in the same position up for discussion if I remember. I can't recall the exact wording or response to it, but I imagine it probably got denied because at the time it was radically outside the current RC (multiple objects on same tick, possibility of creating impossible jumps, etc.) and devs would rather wait for next/lazer to consider such changes.

The technique described is effectively like a 2B element in standard, but obviously doesn't require clicking, so as long as the head/tail can be caught at the same time (that is, they are at the same or almost the same place), then there shouldn't be an issue of impossible spacings. It might also be feasible to place circles inside sliders, objects within spinners, etc. also, providing the map can still be SS'ed, though the fact that slider shapes in the current editor are hard to visualize makes this hard to do well imo.

Additionally, stacking multiple objects has the potential to create significant slowdown/lag on less powerful PCs, so there would probably need to be a limit on how many objects could be put on a tick in this way. The simple stacked slider head/tail scenario does allow for some interesting new shapes though, and means that we don't need to map held sounds with short slider gaps (1/8, 1/16, etc.) anymore, which is a plus.

So yeah, tl;dr almost certainly too radical a change in current osu!catch, but I'd definitely push for this to be reconsidered in osu!lazer where hopefully we have the tools necessary to control it properly. This is just my opinion though, so don't read into it too much!
Topic Starter
eldnl
Thanks for your answer, to explain it better, I'm asking for a whole new "slider" for ctb, not to allowing us to put two notes in the same tick.