forum

[Archived] osu! unplayable - game freezes when cursor moves

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
- AyDJay -
Problem Details:

Hi there!
So for a few days now osu has been unplayable for me. FPS are below 60 when not doing anything on the osu! screen. Whenever I move my cursor the game freezes (music keeps playing though) and only resumes after I stopped moving the cursor and shows it at its new position - going back to the bad performance from before. Also it doesn't matter whether I use my tablet or mouse, the freeze happens whenever the cursor is moved even slightly.

So far I've tried:
- Switching between versions: Problem persists anywhere but fallback, which isn't an option because it has no letterboxing
- Changing between fullscreen/windowed/letterboxing enabled/disabled - no change
- Compatibility mode on/off, Reduce dropped frames on/off - no change
- Deleted user config from the osu folder - no change related to the problem
- Checking logs - only seeing the runtime log which has no usable info (to me, attached: pastebin)
- Turning off pretty much every other program including flux, discord, antivirus - no effect
- The stupid windows xbox gaming thing is disabled
- updated graphics driver - no change

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

screenshot

osu! version: any, except fallback

Any help is greatly appreciated :)
sHootR
Enable the option "compatibility mode" and "detect performance issues". Reply to me if the problem still excists.
Topic Starter
- AyDJay -

sHootR wrote:

Enable the option "compatibility mode" and "detect performance issues". Reply to me if the problem still excists.
Tried it, no change

Quick update:
I've tried a few more things but to no success:
- reinstall osu! from scratch - no change whatsoever
- get performance log from cutting edge - turns out cutting edge has stopped working entirely now. When in fullscreen it just blackscreens, when in windowed I only get the icon in the taskbar but no window appears
sHootR

- AyDJay - wrote:

sHootR wrote:

Tried it, no change

Quick update:
I've tried a few more things but to no success:
- reinstall osu! from scratch - no change whatsoever
- get performance log from cutting edge - turns out cutting edge has stopped working entirely now. When in fullscreen it just blackscreens, when in windowed I only get the icon in the taskbar but no window appears
Please record this issue, maybe I can help you then.
Btw, do you know any changes you did, til the problem appeared? Like installing new software, hardware etc.?
Topic Starter
- AyDJay -
Video with play-by-play commentary by yours truly: https://streamable.com/ouxjn

I don't recall any changes to be honest. No new software, ran a malwarebytes scan today aswell with no results. Process list doesn't show anything I wouldn't know of.. no idea man
Lacrimosa
What if you reduce your mouse's polling rate? Does the issue persist?
Topic Starter
- AyDJay -

Nikosbks wrote:

What if you reduce your mouse's polling rate? Does the issue persist?
Lowering polling rate makes it slightly more responsive but still stuttering. Also like I said this issue is happening with both mouse and tablet
Lacrimosa
I remember someone with a similar problem getting it fixed by uninstalling and reinstalling his mouse and tablet drivers. Mind giving it a try?
sHootR

Nikosbks wrote:

I remember someone with a similar problem getting it fixed by uninstalling and reinstalling his mouse and tablet drivers. Mind giving it a try?
Yeah, that's what I thought about too. Otherwise I can't help you anymore, sry.
EDIT: The issue must be caused by some software or hardware changes in the recent past. Reinstalling your drivers should fix this I guess. If none of this works, try to reinstall the game too.
Topic Starter
- AyDJay -

Nikosbks wrote:

Just uninstalled both and reinstalled them (Logitech G502 and Wacom CTL-480), still no success.

sHootR wrote:

The issue must be caused by some software or hardware changes in the recent past. Reinstalling your drivers should fix this I guess. If none of this works, try to reinstall the game too.
Reinstalled the game already. No success. I really cannot think of any hardware/software changes, at least nothing I did on my own accord. No idea if any auto updates to whatever broke something.

Also again: We're not only dealing with the mouse issue but also the overall horrible performance of the game.
sHootR

- AyDJay - wrote:

Nikosbks wrote:

Just uninstalled both and reinstalled them (Logitech G502 and Wacom CTL-480), still no success.

sHootR wrote:

The issue must be caused by some software or hardware changes in the recent past. Reinstalling your drivers should fix this I guess. If none of this works, try to reinstall the game too.
Reinstalled the game already. No success. I really cannot think of any hardware/software changes, at least nothing I did on my own accord. No idea if any auto updates to whatever broke something.

Also again: We're not only dealing with the mouse issue but also the overall horrible performance of the game.
You're right, I forgot that already. I really don't know what to do anymore. It seems to be something more specific - may you get in contact with the osu!devs?
EDIT: I have a few conclusions: Try to install CCleaner (Powerful tool to clean your PC and fix Windows Registry files) Website:
https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner and clean everything. After that, try to find problems in your registry. These can cause bad performance too.
Do you experience worse performance than before in other games too? Maybe one part of your hardware is nearly broken and that's why your PC isn't running properly. (Still, this isn't connected to your input device issue. It seems like you got a bunch of serious problems appearing at the same time.)
Topic Starter
- AyDJay -

sHootR wrote:

I have a few conclusions: Try to install CCleaner (Powerful tool to clean your PC and fix Windows Registry files) Website:
https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner and clean everything. After that, try to find problems in your registry. These can cause bad performance too.
Do you experience worse performance than before in other games too? Maybe one part of your hardware is nearly broken and that's why your PC isn't running properly. (Still, this isn't connected to your input device issue. It seems like you got a bunch of serious problems appearing at the same time.)
Ran CCleaner just for good measure, and while it did fix a shitton of registry issues (probably mostly related to a reinstall of my OS I did like over a year ago) it didn't affect osu! at all. I'm not experiencing issues in ANY other game. Rocket League, CSGO.. all running fine.

Gonna write up a detailed report and send it off to support.
Thank you for your help and time though :)
sHootR
Ran CCleaner just for good measure, and while it did fix a shitton of registry issues (probably mostly related to a reinstall of my OS I did like over a year ago) it didn't affect osu! at all. I'm not experiencing issues in ANY other game. Rocket League, CSGO.. all running fine.

Gonna write up a detailed report and send it off to support.
Thank you for your help and time though :)
Alright, at least something. :D Ok, your hardware is no issue then. Should be something more complex.

Yeah, that's a good idea! Haha, no problem. Good luck! :D
Topic Starter
- AyDJay -
Hey so, does anyone know how long support usually takes to respond? Haven't heard anything for 3 days now..
sHootR

- AyDJay - wrote:

Hey so, does anyone know how long support usually takes to respond? Haven't heard anything for 3 days now..
Das kann daran liegen, dass dein Problem etwas seltener vorkommt oder vielleicht noch gar nicht bekannt ist. Aber du müsstest eigentlich eine Antwort kriegen. :)