forum

[Archived] Frame spikes only when playing with unlimited fps

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Thund3rSheep
Problem Details:
I've been playing with unlimited fps for a solid year or something now with no issues at all, as this provides the least ms lag (0,7ms compared to vsync 240 which locks me in at 4,2ms)

As of lately I cant play with unlimited fps as it just keep giving me lag spikes, even when watching a replay or anything like it. This used to be an issue for me if I had shadowplay running in the background, but I disabled that long ago so it should'nt be an issue anymore. ironicly I have to use shadowplay for recording tho.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
Now as seen in the video, watching the fps/ms counter Its all over the place, every time it spikes it freezes the game for a really short time but it happens alot, which really can ruin anything. the bars at the bottom usually isnt all the way up, but considering i was recording it adds to it.

I've had this problem for about 1-2 weeks and I've tried closing background programs, updating drivers, looking for solutions elsewhere.

osu! version: 20160403.6
Scarlet Evans
When you go to your game's the directory ~/osu!/ ,there should be your profile config file named: osu!.your_profile_name.cfg

Look for
CustomFrameLimit = 240
and try to change the value to something else, like 300, 400, 500, 727, 1000 etc. (But close your game first, as it will overwrite the file while closing and it won't work.)

Even if it won't solve your problem with unlimited fps, maybe it will still allow you will find some value of fps that will be both high enough for you and will work better than current unlimited?
I think it can be worth to try. I personally don't use too many on my potato, just 250 fps, but I heard that some people use few times more with quite good results.