forum

[Project] Encouraging Community-Made Original Content

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ptar124

The Purpose

After years of running, osu! community picked up the reputation of being unoriginal and ungrateful to the original creators (which includes composers AND illustrators). Sure, this is not wrong, if anything, it adds variety to the game and enables charters to chart any song they like. However, over time, this inevitably translates into one-sidedly leeching off of third-party sources, giving many outside the community the feeling that osu! has absolutely no ability to create any original content whatsoever. I want to show the world, and I want everyone to help me show the world that osu! indeed can create its own content as a community (outside of only a small handful of featured artists, which includes no illustrators and animators). I want osu! to be known as a community where innovations thrive and creators gather, not copycats.

The Project

The goal is simple: have the huge community that osu! has create more original content. This can be divided into a few stages:

Stage 1: Annual Contests
Hold a large-scale annual competition for composers, animators, illustrators, storyboarders, and charters to collaborate in a team to create the best beatmap they can make. Sounds familiar? Yeah, you should be, we'll be doing it the BMS of Fighters style, but with a prize pool. If such competition ever takes place, I will happily contribute to its prize pool.

Stage 2: Creator's Community
With the contest taking place, innovators from all over the world will need to be discussing their ideas and finding members for their team. We creators also never stop learning new things. We discuss our creations, our techniques in composing, animating, illustrating, and charting (although mapping community is already a thing), and we learn from our fellow musicians, artists and mappers.

Stage 3: Creator Mentorship
There are many bright minds in the community who wants to create but do not know how. This is where experienced veterans come in to help them create, giving birth the the next generation of creators who will go out to create great things. Some will also return to teach the next generation, and the cycle continues.

The Feasibility of This Project

Throughout the years, osu! have seen many fanart contests, remix contests, beatmapping contests, and storyboarding contests. The community have already shown to have the capabilities to do it, and the works that came out can only be described as professional-tier. If all of these creators band together to achieve greater, our community of creators are no less than rhythm game developers. Some of our most loved composer and mapper, Sayaka/Kurokotei also went out to submit songs for Dynamix, Arcaea, and even submitting Fracture Temporelle and Chronostasis for BOFU2016. It's not out of reach, we just need to work together to make this happen. Maybe we can create things so great that we get them featured in official arcades, remember siromaru + cranky's conflict? That started in BMS of Fighters in 2013 and it's now licensed in at least 8 different rhythm games.

Why I really care

Sayaka/Kurokotei have always been one of the mappers I look up to, and it's a pleasure getting to talk to him through the Taiko no Tatsujin Discord server up until this day. He is, in fact, the sole inspiration for me to become a musician/composer. It is heartbreaking to see how much he despises the unoriginality in osu! and finally quits shortly after Galaxy Collapse made its name in the community. I want the community to be known for something else other than blindly picking up any songs they find -- of course you can still do that -- but be sure to create something and put it back into the community.

Thanks for reading such a long forum post. I will be open for suggestions.
Topic Starter
ptar124
Actually, this might actually go to feature request. Note to moderators: move if needed