forum

[WIP] (Yet another) Osu!web

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Amryu
Hi there!

Hope this kinda fits in this forum...

Me and Vanilagy started our own osu!web project, which might be playable not too far
in the future. We made it using HTML5 and JavaScript only and are working since almost
2 weeks on it.

At the moment it's just autoplay but implementing input shouldn't be that hard. We still
have some issues with how stacking exactly works (there is always some map not working :<)
but we already got alot of features making it nice-looking (snaking sliders, follow lines, slider ticks, etc.).

Here are some videos (in order of release):

(I know I used some osu assets and I will replace them if we have no permissions to use them until then)

Update: As I expected we can't use the name osu! and also no graphics and sound files like I expected. So we will have to come up with a new name before we can release a first version. Suggestions are welcome!

If you have any feedback or ideas be sure to tell us :)

We'll see how far we can take this since we plan to implement all 4 game modes at one point and more.

UPDATE: Sliders and stacks should now properly work and alot of aspire and 2B maps are too. We're soon getting started on input, scoring etc. We have to yet decide on another name though. Maybe we can get a simple song selection until then ;)

UPDATE 2: We are still doing some things to improve gameplay and we need to restructure our code a bit so the full UI will take a while to finish. I don't want to release anything half-done so sorry about that :P Just wanted to say that we are still alive.
troke
woah it's nice, i just thinking it's need more specification to run that osu web on browser?
Topic Starter
Amryu
What exactly do you mean? It works in most browsers (Chrome, FF, Opera, Edge) and if you turn
off slider snaking it runs very smooth on most PCs^^

We don't work with images like skins do (though we will support that later). We work with canvas-tags and CSS for the effects and rendering.

Thanks though :)
Xferno2
This is impressive. Good job!
Good luck in developing this project.
troke
i mean to avoid lagging and choking while playing, is the browser only enough to play it? does need a high or medium computer specification?
because i have an experience playing a web game it's HTML5 too, and it happens lagging and choke, after that, i try to play on another computer who have a medium spec and it's run smoothly
Topic Starter
Amryu
I only experienced lagg when having other resource intensive applications running.
Especially if you have a second monitor I can't have anything running that updates
frames (aka videos, other games, etc.). Minimizing them does work tho.

Aside from that we will give you the possibilty to let you turn off alot of the graphic
features. I can't tell you the specifictaions you need for sure but you shouldn't need
a gaming PC to use it or anything crazy.

Sadly the only factor we have no control of is timing in JavaScript, so it could happen
that JavaScript delays our code. We are still doing alot of optimizations and it gets
better and faster all the time.

That said... we will have to wait on some feedback from users when we release a first version.

We aim to make it available for at least medium computers. We also recommend Chrome
for it since it has a really fast JavaScript engine.
[ Scarlet Red ]
This is very interesting. I am just wondering if you NEED permission to use these assets... or this gameplay in general. However, with that aside I think this is awesome! Good job!
Topic Starter
Amryu
While we don't need permission to copy the gameplay aspect (peppy didn't copyright "clicking circles" yet right?)
we do need permission for the assets and the overall brand name (even if we don't, I wouldn't want to do without.
We were made clear that we should not use the name "osu!xxx" since that could be confused with something official.

It's our primary goal to make osu! more accessible from anywhere by making it playable through the browser
but we also plan to expand on some aspects of "osu!". Peppy did copy the gameplay of osu! and other games
too, but he expanded on it and built a community around it.

We will try to add something unique to it too, but whatever that is... We still need to figure it out^^
Luqanted
holy hell this is beyond good
gaming epic
Holy! This looks interesting. I'm hyped for it. Goodjob already guys. :oops:
Topic Starter
Amryu
So for a quick update:

We got follow lines, slider ticks and scoring done. Input is already possible.

Stuff that is missing would be hitsounds and hitanimation images (the 300, 100, 50, x, etc.).

We will work on a song selection and a score screen after that and we should be ready
to publish it as a 1st version. I'll probably also set up a bugtracker so you can report any issues
that you should get.

But please note that performance inside the browser can be bad and laggy sometimes and JS
is bad for timing stuff, so it's no surprise if things don't work as smooth as the normal osu! does.

P.S. If anyone wants to help with design and you have some experience with that, we could really
use that since we don't want to use alot of osu! assets.
Topic Starter
Amryu
It's working boyz:

Also I suck :D

When we get the UI done you can try it too.
Newb1et

Amryu wrote:

It's working boyz:

Also I suck :D
When we get the UI done you can try it too.

To see it running smooth is amazing! Awesome work and effort put in there. Maybe I could pitch in for design... I dunno since am pretty occupied in life, but if I would, I'll let you guys know.
Topic Starter
Amryu
Thanks that would be awesome!

We decided to try keep the menu structure kinda similar to not confuse any players but we are open to anything I guess. We will take our time with the first release though since we need to do a restructure for our JS code and we still need to figure out some technical aspects.

Sorry if I got your hopes up too soon but we are not EA so we want to take a bit more time to release something proper.

@Newbiet: If you want to have a talk you can add me on Discord: Amryu#9558 (or send me a PM with some other messenger).
Topic Starter
Amryu
Restructure is done and we got some nice designs planned already for the first release.
We'll make it a surprise though :^)

Good news: We fixed some nasty performance issue out of the way. So I recorded this
with some sexy slider snaking:

Hope you enjoy it!
[ Shina0Neko ]
I'm actually looking forward to this!
can't wait to test it out once it's released.
Solitaire
Are you planning to have pre-loaded beatmaps? It would be really fun to be able to play if a system with osu! is not available. Looking forward to this!
Topic Starter
Amryu

Solitaire wrote:

Are you planning to have pre-loaded beatmaps? It would be really fun to be able to play if a system with osu! is not available. Looking forward to this!
I planned to host a selection of beatmaps whose metadata and images will be loaded at startup.
As soon as you select them the game will load the mp3 so you can start playing. I guess I got to
ask some mappers to provide some beatmaps.

The status right now is that we will need to finish the UI (still) which takes a bit longer since we
are still talking about the design and name.

The gameplay is missing HP still. We might add some mods before the first release to but don't expect
DT to be one of them.

I hope it won't take too long^^
Arzenvald
sick, this looking great!
planning for another modes?
Topic Starter
Amryu

Arzenvald wrote:

sick, this looking great!
planning for another modes?
I actually want to provide new modes and mods at some point. We will add content
with suggestions and user polls when we got the main stuff running. We do have alot
of plans for now though so we will be busy with that^^

Don't hesitate to throw in your ideas though! We will always take a look over them :D
show more