forum

"Unofficial" community tournaments

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +22
Topic Starter
Sir Quackers
I don't know where to start on this but one thing I would like to see is tournaments in the osu! multiplayer section, where anyone can join if they chose to. this is how I would like it to be set up if they ever do add tournaments in osu! and yes I am horrible at explaining things but here
this will be VERY long but please do read it and for it to be shorter at the very least since I type a lot, I might leave out a few things(probably) so do mention those things I left out and well, good luck ;-;
first of all you start it up by giving it a name of course ( and yes we keep it safe with the titles and maybe the max on how long the name can be should be 25-32 )
then you put in the player selection ( what I mean by "player selection" is that the host can choose which types of people can join like those that are in rank #150,000-#20,000 can join but the lowest rank they can choose that can join should be rounded to the nearest "hundred", if they are like 1,892 in rank . . then it should be going down when rounding, so the lowest would be 1,800. of course if the host wants to, they can leave it at open where any rank can join the match ( the ranks have to be similar to the mode the host chooses and I'll talk about the modes later ), and I don't know if there should be a cap on how high of a rank the host can choose is there...its not like anyone in rank 300,000 wants the top 100 players joining... so like in the one hundred thousands.. the cap difference is 75,000, the ten thousands should be a 7,500 cap difference, one thousands should be 500 and lastly for those in the top 100 ( the caps would be 100-1 ). and like I said, the ranks the participants have is their the rank in the mode the host chooses and yes its their worldwide rank ( and if maybe...set it up so that those in the same country can only play and then they will use their countries rank ).
next thing is the modes...of course the host can choose which mode everyone will play until the tournament ends or maybe the host can pick "all", meaning each match will be a different mode ( the first round is ctb then the 2nd is standard and so on...the host can pick which order the modes go in as the host wishes to or leave it at random..as well as the option to choose which modes should just be playable in the tournament, only a mixture of ctb and taiko for example )
next we have the gameplay. all the matches can start at the same time or each match will start after a match has ended ( once match 1 ended, both participants in match 2 have to get ready and they will have a certain amount of time to get prepared and if either one doesn't make it in time then the one who was "ready" wins by default, but of course the timer doesn't go off until each participant has downloaded the beatmap and I will talk about this one later ). and for the spectators...when spectating the participants both players will be shown on the screen ( each one takes half of the screen ). the winner is determined by score or ( this is something I am still thinking about this because it does seem fun but ill talk about it next ) is the survivor. what I mean by survivor is the person who doesn't fail first, when setting up the tournament...the host can choose which "game" is chosen, when I mean by game I mean this... there would be a Score and a Survivor game...for score, each winner is determined by whoever gets the highest score and for survivor, the first person to "fail" loses and in case of a draw the person with the highest score wins. now, for the beatmaps...im not sure how this should work but here are the options I thought of...the host picks the beatmap, a beatmap generator picks a random beatmap online and yes the spectators are notified about the beatmap, and finally the participants pick 3 beatmaps each and then it will automatically choose a random one. for the mods, both participants cannot choose one as it will not be available so it can be fair at least for the both of the participants.
next thing is the stats. I don't know if this should be a thing but it is worth mentioning it but after someone wins a tournament ( and yes this will have to be added by the osu! people ) they will get a win in their "unofficial tournament" ( maybe a different name? ) bar for the mode but only when the tournament had ONE mode included, then that winner will gain a win.
prizes, of course there would be none unless the osu! people decide there should be one for every tournament that is made...1st, 2nd, and 3rd place
and finally "other things"...of course there should be a chat for the participants and spectators or it should just be one whole chat. the spectators could vote who will win just for fun. and this is something I forgot BUT it is very significant to this which of course could make it more FUN...team tournaments...the host can choose if it should be a 1v1 tournament or a team tournament ( a team of 2-5 and yes the host chooses the number of people per team ), the way it goes is each team picks a member to go ( same thing for spectators, split screen ) and then after the match ends the next person goes ( each member goes once ) and after all members have gone, their points are added up and the team with the highest total score wins. and this is the final thing I have to say is that before a tournament begins, there will be a time limit of 15 minutes-1 hour before a tournament can start and I don't know about this but each round can start immediately once the previous round ended or they have to wait a certain amount of time before the next round starts ( maybe a 24 hour thing? ), the host has to choose this of course .
if you read the whole things, thanks! and I really want tournaments in the osu! section so please tell others about this >:3
P.S I am 100% sure that I did not make any sense in some parts since I was typing and thinking at the same time so I might have mixed them up and messed up some parts . . . ;-;
_Meep_
there has been tournaments set up by other people who are not moderators or big people in osu
theres a specific subforum for it 55
Topic Starter
Sir Quackers

_Meep_ wrote:

there has been tournaments set up by other people who are not moderators or big people in osu
theres a specific subforum for it https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/55

im just saying the tournament option should be there once you go to multiplayer in osu!, for me I think this would get more "active users" and who knows what else might come up.
Lacrimosa
I don't really get if this is a request or just you expressing an idea for a tournament. People are free to create any type of tournament they want and publish it here. You don't have to get any permission or to get your tournament approved by the tournament staff in order to publish it. Most things you request in your post are possible to happen in unofficial tournaments as well, however, yours sounds very unique and not so well organized, so I'm skeptical about how many people would actually enjoy this type of tournament and would be willing to take part in it. You could give it a try, though. I would advise you to think more about what the rules and the structure of your tournament are going to be. For that, it would be helpful to look at officially supported tournaments.(If you are unsure whether a tournament is official or not, here's a tip; most officially supported tournaments provide a badge for the winner, so if you see someone having a badge on their profile under their name, it's probably from an official tournament.) However, in order to be able to spectate multiple people at the same time, you need to have access to osu!tourney, which is a client provided by the tournament staff and only official tournaments can have access to it. Besides this, everything else should be possible to happen. Although, for the chat function you mentioned, you will have to use either #spectator or a discord server. If you wonder whether you can have official support for this type of tournament that you mention, I'm afraid that you cannot since the structure is not proper.

Edit:

Zombieland720 wrote:

im just saying the tournament option should be there once you go to multiplayer in osu!, for me I think this would get more "active users" and who knows what else might come up.
Well, about this, I don't see it ever happening, since you cannot just join in a tournament lobby anytime and play. You need to be registered and the organizers must be aware of your participation.
Topic Starter
Sir Quackers

Nikosbks wrote:

I don't really get if this is a request or just you expressing an idea for a tournament. People are free to create any type of tournament they want and publish it here. You don't have to get any permission or to get your tournament approved by the tournament staff in order to publish it. Most things you request in your post are possible to happen in unofficial tournaments as well, however, yours sounds very unique and not so well organized, so I'm skeptical about how many people would actually enjoy this type of tournament and would be willing to take part in it. You could give it a try, though. I would advise you to think more about what the rules and the structure of your tournament are going to be. For that, it would be helpful to look at officially supported tournaments.(If you are unsure whether a tournament is official or not, here's a tip; most officially supported tournaments provide a badge for the winner, so if you see someone having a badge on their profile under their name, it's probably from an official tournament.) However, in order to be able to spectate multiple people at the same time, you need to have access to osu!tourney, which is a client provided by the tournament staff and only official tournaments can have access to it. Besides this, everything else should be possible to happen. Although, for the chat function you mentioned, you will have to use either #spectator or a discord server. If you wonder whether you can have official support for this type of tournament that you mention, I'm afraid that you cannot since the structure is not proper.
Edit:

Zombieland720 wrote:

Well, about this, I don't see it ever happening, since you cannot just join in a tournament lobby anytime and play. You need to be registered and the organizers must be aware of your participation.

I see what you mean but yes I did leave some stuff ( just to make it shorter ) so that's why its unorganized but for the most part I do understand your statement, and for the last part...I did leave that part out on purpose, I understand you saying "joining a tournament and the organizers being aware of the participants" but anyway . . . this is a request ( having tournaments in the osu! multiplayer ) and the explanation is just me trying to give ideas to the osu! people .-. . and yes I understand you being skeptical about how many people would enjoy this, its up to the players to decide if this would be enjoyable...if we can just get enough people over here then we can see about that ( i am also curious what others have to say, though i think most won't agree...since you said others can publish their own tournaments which i did not know about since i only play osu! and don't pay attention to most things...all i can do is wait and see for the results ) . . . i am at school so if i sound off, i tried to type as fast as i can ;-;
Sandy Hoey
I think this is a better idea. A tournament requires a lot of coordination and planning that means they cannot be spontaneous. This still makes it competitive, but not does not require all the organizing. t/115405?hilit=Elo
Topic Starter
Sir Quackers

Sandy Hoey wrote:

I think this is a better idea. A tournament requires a lot of coordination and planning that means they cannot be spontaneous. This still makes it competitive, but not does not require all the organizing. https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/115405?hilit=Elo

most people are very competitive so this would get them up and active in the game since there are a lot of inactive people .-.
that's what I think the very least