forum

[Mapping] Be able to have 0% hitsound volume

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +2
Topic Starter
Kondou-Shinichi
Because the limit is 5%, but sometimes people will just want it to be complete silence
custom hitsound can be added, but itll be inconvenient
If theres a reason behind it, then im sorry for this post.
Stanvord
Couldn't you just delete your hitsound or something?

I don't really follow skins/sounds tho
Sandy Hoey
You can make a copy of the skin, one without the hitsounds and one with. Then just switch between them as needed

Edit: wait, this is about mapping. nvm. This was completely based on the comment above xD
Full Tablet
Setting hitsound volume to 0% would make your map unrankable. You should still be able to set the volume to 0% if you edit the .osu file directly with notepad instead of setting it in the editor.
sakebi
Just use silent hitsounds https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Custom_Hitsound_Library#Silence
Only way to make hitsound volume 0%, and it's easy to do anyway
FiddleBlue
I'm guessing this thread if for people who uses their own custom hitsoundings, not the map. In that case, even a silent hitsound wouldn't work. Although that's the case I don't really see how this will be useful. Circles and sliders are to emphasize a certain part of a song. Silencing them would be a completely go against their purposes. Can you try to explain deeper?
Caput Mortuum
Spinners, Slider tails. The ranking criteria allows it, I don't see why this shouldn't be part of the game.
abraker
IIRC the new mania ranking criteria has nothing against 0% hitsound volume
O2MasterFX
The reason why they don't allow 0% volume is because when you set a hitsound to 0%, some clicking occured to some players.
abraker

O2MasterFX wrote:

The reason why they don't allow 0% volume is because when you set a hitsound to 0%, some clicking occured to some players.
That sounds like a bug and not a valid reason to enforce a rule
autoteleology
Fine, but only if an equivalent feature is added for players to enforce global minimum and maximum hitsound volumes, so I can swerve your bad map design decisions. It's bad enough already with maps that set everything to 10% volume, so you turn down music and turn up the volume and then get assblasted by the next beatmap which has all 100% volume hitsounds.
Caput Mortuum

Philosofikal wrote:

Fine, but only if an equivalent feature is added for players to enforce global minimum and maximum hitsound volumes, so I can swerve your bad map design decisions. It's bad enough already with maps that set everything to 10% volume, so you turn down music and turn up the volume and then get assblasted by the next beatmap which has all 100% volume hitsounds.
That is unrelated to this request. 0% is meant to silence things, and silence doesn't change whether your volume is 10% or 70%.
WingSilent
Basically, this setting to 0% is useless since you can do your 0% with a blank sound, a completely silenced one.
Caput Mortuum
This is more of a why it shouldn't be there rather than why it should be there.
autoteleology

Eraser wrote:

Philosofikal wrote:

That is unrelated to this request. 0% is meant to silence things, and silence doesn't change whether your volume is 10% or 70%.
You are mistaken.

If I set the global minimum to, for example, 25%, then any 0%, 5%, 10%, 15%, and 20% volume hitsounds will be set to 25% volume.

Alternatively, I'd like an override option that sets all hitsound volumes to 100%, or ties hitsounds volume directly to Effect volume.

It's basically so I can say "No, I don't want any silent/quiet hitsounds". I strongly dislike the fact that mappers get to arbitrarily decide what the volume of my hitsounds are when I'm not using their map skin or sounds, forcing me to make all the hitsounds in my skins as loud and compressed as possible.
johnmedina999
But it's their map. If you don't like the map then don't play it.
I support this feature request.
_Meep_

johnmedina999 wrote:

But it's their map. If you don't like the map then don't play it.
I support this feature request.
you do realise this isnt about playing in the first place lol
this request is kind of pointless because it's not something you can't do.
You could always mute/silence your hitsounds, 5% wouldn't have much volume anyway
Stefan
0% Volume doesn't silence, it's just five percent calmer than the minimum you can set at the moment. And you can set the volume at 0% via .osu editing. However, for whether case it still applies that inaudible hitobjects - means that objects without sounds or being too quiet - are unrankable, so it can be 0%, 5% or 20%, depending on the song and hitsounds you're using.
SMG3
Yeah, but how do I edit the .osu file to make it 0%? Is there a tutorial for it?
EDIT: idk if i should make a new post or just put the comment how it is *shrug*
abraker

SMG3 wrote:

Yeah, but how do I edit the .osu file to make it 0%? Is there a tutorial for it?
It will make the map not match the online version, and not be ranked (will show update map button)

To this day I have no idea what is so wrong with having 0% hitsound volume that ranking criteria needs to prohibit it. I play fine with hitsound volume off even in standard.