forum

[Archived] osu! Crashing on startup. Windows 10

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
CoNzz97
Problem Details: When I try to start osu! the updater appears as normal, after showing 'Your osu! is up to date!', the game crashes and windows displays osu! has stopped working.

osu! version: 20170409cuttingedge
Lyawi
Do you see the crash window? If so, click on the crying girl and post the error message here please.
o x
Does this happen every time? Try running osu! repair and changing to a Stable build.
Topic Starter
CoNzz97
No, the windows thingy comes up and says. Windows is searching for a solution to the problem. and then a problem has caused osu!.exe to stop working.
Topic Starter
CoNzz97

wwwww_ wrote:

Does this happen every time? Try running osu! repair and changing to a Stable build.
yes happens everytime i try to load the game. how would i change to the stable build without opening the game
o x
Hold shift while opening osu! or run the osu! repair application in your osu! folder.

Please try not to double post just edit your previous post to add more it'll help keep this thread more neat
Topic Starter
CoNzz97

wwwww_ wrote:

Hold shift while opening osu! or run the osu! repair application in your osu! folder.

Please try not to double post just edit your previous post to add more it'll help keep this thread more neat
ok will do sorry. I just changed the version to stable and ran the updater but still crashing on start up.

Edit; I've just tried opening a couple of other programs (osu!laser and Toribash) and they also crashed, not sure if that helps.

Edit 2; Apparently it's something to do with the latest windows update, a few friends said they're having problems as well after updating.
animecandylive
UPDATE
I have no idea what happened, I didn't do anything after making this post but the issue seems to have disappeared. It magically managed to launch with OpenGL when I was trying to crash it (So I can click on the crying pippi for the crash report). Updating it internally to the Stable(Latest) worked perfectly fine. So, I have no idea what gives. I'll leave the all my findings below for anyone else having the issue but, I'm honestly at a loss.

System Specs
Intel Core i7 6700 (Skylake)
16GB DDR3 RAM
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 (Driver ver. 22.21.13.8165[Latest])
Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit (ver. 10.0.15063)

I've recently updated my Windows (version stated in system specs above) and I'm experiencing the same issue. Instant crash. Adding osu!.exe to the list of exclusions for Windows Defender doesn't work, neither does running it in compatibility mode for Windows 7/8/8.1.

Leaving the exclusion there and removing the compatibility mode, I've attempted osu!repair to Stable(fallback) and it launches fine. Updating internally to the Stable(Latest) crashes it immediately.

Running osu!repair once again to cutting edge(experimental) crashes it immediately. updating to Beta this way also crashes it.

It appears that the only version that launches is Stable(Fallback) as of writing this post. In this version, the game works more or less perfectly fine. I switched from DirectX rendering (which is on by default in this version) to OpenGL and it crashed immediately. Starting up osu! again crashes it once again. However this time the crash reporter manages to launch. I will dig around to see if I can find another thread that already has this topic and post my findings there as well.

It appears that the issue is graphics related, so i shall leave my dxdiag file here

Until then, follow these steps to at least get your osu! running again (Read update at top of post)
Run osu!repair located in your osu!folder
Set it to Stable(Fallback)
click "Repair osu!"
Wait for it to finish repairing and launch on its own
DO NOT update it from there
DO NOT change your renderer from DirectX to OpenGL
Finnyz
I can't even run OSU! repairs GG boiisss!!!
Death

Finnyz wrote:

I can't even run OSU! repairs GG boiisss!!!
Don't bump old posts please. Make a new thread for your issue and provide as much detail as possible.