forum

[Project] Taiko Map Skillset Ratings (SSR)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Yuzeyun
Howdy, it me ya boi Muzma and I'm here to talk about a project I've had in mind for quite some time and everything is in the title.

Basically the idea sparked pretty much since the beginning, but I think it should be better not to let this stay as an idea and make it more concrete.
If you're tired of your maps being underrated, or tired of being blamed for pp mapping because these goddamn 1/6s are goddamn overrated, this project is for you!

So far, I've got different skillsets - you can also propose a skillset and we can discuss if this is a good idea or not. The list is:
Stamina - I don't need to explain this one
Stream - How well you can keep combos on a stream
(Speed) - I defined it as a combo of Stamina and Stream, but this could be subject to change if there are good arguments in favour
Accuracy - Mainly defined by OD, this can be subject to change or be deleted
Reading - How well you can read different speeds; HR might break this in all honesty with every screen ratio. However, very low as much as very high scrolling speed will be hard while average will be treated as easy. "Comfort" values are not decided, but I suspect anything between 150 and 200 BPM is the most comfortable for most players.
Technical - Mainly for maps that use 1/6 + 1/4 streams, or anything related handswap-heavy patterns and doubles.
Overall - Will be the end value of the map: It is a combination of every other skillset rating which will be calculated to be as close as possible to reality.

Each rating will obviously be different, and the limit of each of them will be 30 for playable maps. The cap will be 100 otherwise.

For this, it is needed to have at least a good base with multiple inputs on where a map would end in each skillset, as well as maps that will serve as base to calibrate difficulties - that is, at least one map in each current skillset. If the project is conclusive, I will try to make unofficial rankings based on the SSRs. Also I will not put converts into consideration because y'all don't want them. Even if I am one to play them I think this is a healthy decision to have correct ratings based on Taiko maps, not converted maps.

Before anyone asks for mods: I think I want this to be experimental for now, since everything about these will cause changes in the SSRs. They're probably going to have a different set of SSR values rather than being their own value.
Simply put, if you take a low BPM map, let's say 100 BPM, the SV will increase for HR, making it fairly easier to read. On the other hand, playing it on HD will be harder, since you have to memorize the notes a lot of time before hitting them, thus making it very easy to choke on because of a mistake in remembering. FL, however, will be tricky due to you know what I mean.

BTW: If Full Tablet reads this, I would like to have their own difficulty algorithm shown here: p/3608037 for testing!

Please submit your samples and estimations here (No converts allowed): https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... g/viewform
Current responses: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
(Treated values = Maps that have been treated.)
Should you have any questions, I advise you to keep them in this thread rather than asking me directly in PM because I might forget to clarify in the thread.
roufou
Maybe change speed to burst? Or add burst as a seperate, for short sections of difficulty spike/short maps. Different enough to warrant a rating or whatever imo.

question: only web maps or is osump fine too?
Vulkin
What about 1/3 based maps? Some people find it painful to play em afaik (for example my acc suffers with them :P)
Topic Starter
Yuzeyun

Vulkin wrote:

What about 1/3 based maps? Some people find it painful to play em afaik (for example my acc suffers with them :P)
It will depend on what's in the map

agu wrote:

Maybe change speed to burst? Or add burst as a seperate, for short sections of difficulty spike/short maps. Different enough to warrant a rating or whatever imo.

question: only web maps or is osump fine too?
I might think about bursts because they're not speed but they fall more into the realm of technical. For SSRs, every map will be able to be calculated. It will just need to parse everything in the .osu; which is why reading is included in the SSR list.
Shinsekai-
oh well <3
Edgar_Figaro
I would change reading to not just be dictated by scroll speed but also rhythmic complexity (some maps will have bizzare timing on notes that makes it less intuitive to hit.

Also this kinda sounds similar to how OsuSkills works but for Taiko instead of Standard. Or are you going for more of a TP type system where each map just has set values for each point of difficulty.
roufou
^I honestly assumed that was how it would (and should) work, clarification would be nice.
Topic Starter
Yuzeyun

Edgar_Figaro wrote:

I would change reading to not just be dictated by scroll speed but also rhythmic complexity (some maps will have bizzare timing on notes that makes it less intuitive to hit.

Also this kinda sounds similar to how OsuSkills works but for Taiko instead of Standard. Or are you going for more of a TP type system where each map just has set values for each point of difficulty.
About reading: Do you have any example of what would be dumb to read and thus making it hard?
About skillsets: It's pretty much a mix of both - current project for now will lean towards osu!skills but if we have a more conclusive thing it will be closer to TP.
roufou
I mean reading implies that it's how hard it's to process the patterns in the map and 1/6 is a lot about reading so it's kinda hard considering it makes technical merge a bit with reading in some ways.

A song at 300 bpm is way harder to read if it's actually dense over just 1/2 and stuff.
Raiden
Awesome! :D
Nofool

Edgar_Figaro wrote:

Unmei Muma wrote:

About reading: Do you have any example of what would be dumb to read and thus making it hard?
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/314508 kinda bad example since that doesnt follow the song's rhythm but i think he meant stuff like that (might happen depending on the song i guess)